Sign in to follow this  
DMouse

Operations Center not there

Just upgraded to P3D v4 and reinstalled the NGX. But now there is no operations center. I checked the folder it should be in and the updater is there but not the actual program, weird. I did make sure my Norton was completely disabled before installing. The main reason I reinstalled was because the operations center wasnt working. So I got the new installer and tried again, but  now I dont even have the operations center at all.

Sort of wishing I had stayed with v3 for now.

Usually, a missing OC points to an anti-virus quarantining it for some reason. 

I did disable Norton so it shouldnt have stopped it, the updater is there but not the program. It was there when I did the install from the old version for P3D v3

15 minutes ago, DMouse said:

I did disable Norton so it shouldnt have stopped it, the updater is there but not the program. It was there when I did the install from the old version for P3D v3

Disabling Norton doesn't disable Norton. Uninstall it.

6 hours ago, DMouse said:

As Chris mentioned, disabling AV doesn't really do much anymore. I used to be a little more guarded in my language, but I find that they have recently become overly aggressive, and more like the viruses that they are marketed to stop. If you're not a corporation, and a normal home user, there's no real need to have aftermarket AV.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

DMouse, I actually experienced the same issue. On my fresh Win7 x64 P3Dv4 system, my first and only PMDG installation thusfar has been the most recent version of the PMDG 737 NGX.  The installation appeared to complete cleanly - no chirping from my NOD32 antivirus tools, nothing in quarantine, no log entries of action taken. After the installation and a subsequent reboot, I was surprised to see that had no PMDG start menu entries and couldn't find the operations center anywhere.

After some browsing, I located the C:\Program Files (x32)\PMDG Operations Center folder. The only executable inside was the updater, there was no sign of the program itself or its library files.  I ran the updater and after a brief run, the PMDG Operations Center.exe file appeared and was functional.

The takeaways from my experience:

• For me, the current initial install package (Dated Jul 27 2017 - Version v1.20.8413) for the 737 NGX for Prepar3D v4 did not create any start menu entries for the ops center, documentation, or the performance manager.
  • The operations center may not install properly using the installation package, but finding and running the updater tool seems to get it going and functional for me.
  • The aircraft works, and after the roundabout installation the ops center works as well.

I've submitted a ticket to PMDG saying the same on the off chance it is useful to them, but if you too are missing the ops center, perhaps try to find the updater file, run it, and see if it populates your install with the operations center files you need to get going.

4 hours ago, greggerm said:

The only executable inside was the updater, there was no sign of the program itself or its library files.  I ran the updater and after a brief run, the PMDG Operations Center.exe file appeared and was functional.

This is in fact a often provided advice for those having a problem with the OC.  Delete everything but the updater then run the updater. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Tried deleting everything but the updater but no joy. I did an un install and then disabled everything in Norton. Re download the software, checked Norton to see if anything got quarantined, nothing. Made sure to install as Admin, while keeping the folder with the Ops Center open to see if it appears, no sign of it at all. Not even for a second, I was hoping to see it get quarantined but no. Checked to see if firewall is allowing the Ops center updater and it is. Completely stuck here.

Guess I am flying PMDG house only planes for now

44 minutes ago, DMouse said:

Tried deleting everything but the updater but no joy. I did an un install and then disabled everything in Norton. Re download the software, checked Norton to see if anything got quarantined, nothing. Made sure to install as Admin, while keeping the folder with the Ops Center open to see if it appears, no sign of it at all. Not even for a second, I was hoping to see it get quarantined but no. Checked to see if firewall is allowing the Ops center updater and it is. Completely stuck here.

Guess I am flying PMDG house only planes for now

Did you uninstall Norton?

13 hours ago, DMouse said:

Uninstall Norton, shouldn't have to and simply won't. This should work regardless.

Actually Norton is notorious for being the worst piece of junk "antivirus" to exist. It's well known that disabling Norton does absolutely nothing.

If you want help, fine. If you aren't going to accept people's solutions to your problem, there's no point posting here.

FYI - PMDG require you to sign your full name on all posts here.

17 hours ago, DMouse said:

Uninstall Norton, shouldn't have to and simply won't. This should work regardless.

Not  really,   you have  to  visit  other  forums  to see  what Norton  does   to  other  addons  same  issues

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yeah, I'm usually pretty guarded when it comes to speaking of other developers' software, but anti-virus programs have become increasingly invasive and honestly awful.

It'd be one thing to quarantine programs, but a lot of them simply remove things they don't like without notification. Moreover, a lot of them offer some sort of 'disabled' mode. Years ago, it would actually disable the program. Currently, it simply makes it ever-so-slightly-less-invasive, while still being just about as invasive as it normally is.

If you're a home user, you really only need the built in Windows tool. No real need for the other stuff, unless you prefer programs that don't work and/or go missing.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

So I removed everything, P3d V3 and v4 and re installed only P3D V3. I found a backup of my older PMDG installers prior to P3D v4 and I now have an operations center that works. I did try to put the v4 compatible one back in and install only the v3 option but the operations center did not appear. So it is not Norton but your installer!!