Sign in to follow this  
Wennerholm

HOLD MODE

I have performed 4 tutorial flights today, by the book. Every time my 747 change HDG during auto flight and the A / P, HDG / SEL- SPEED- and ALT knobs has no effect at my aircraft. I try to use HDG / SEL mode but no knobs works. I disconnect A/P and then I can not reengage it. I try both realistic and easy mode. I'm forced to manual fly and land the aircraft. At the last flight I press the HOLD button, just as a test. That caused my 747 to fly upside down like a fighter jet. I have notice Cabin Alt Warning but the tutorial do not cower that warning. I have mo tailstrike warning. My CMOS clock shows the wrong time and date. I have a new battery installed.

Way too many variables in action. Please clarify.

1. Realistic and Easy mode? If you mean Active Sky, dont use that while you are learning to fly the 747, it is just complicating things.

2. CMOS clock, Did you change the battery before these things happened or after? If after did it improve anything?

3. Which HOLD button? First you say the autopilot doesn't react to any inputs, now one input makes the 747 fly upside down. That is hard to believe.

4. Are you flying using the keyboard? That can cause autopilot problems in my experience.

Ken, please don't over complicate things. Leave the weather off, fly in clear skies. Do things in simple steps. If you are folllowing the tutorial and basic things like the autopilot don't work try and resolve that, don't continue and things get progressively worse and more confused.

When reporting autopilot problems it's important to state what mode the AP is actually in. You can see that from the line of text at the top of the PFD (the Flight Mode Annunciator or FMA). That will tell you if the AP is actually engaged or not and if so what mode it is in. If the AP is engaged the word CMD will be displayed above the attitude indication. Without that information no one can assist you.

ki9cAAb.jpg

• Just now, kevinh said:
    • Way too many variables in action. Please clarify.
    • 1. Realistic and Easy mode? If you mean Active Sky, dont use that while you are learning to fly the 747, it is just complicating things.
    • 2. CMOS clock, Did you change the battery before these things happened or after? If after did it improve anything?
    • 3. Which HOLD button? First you say the autopilot doesn't react to any inputs, now one input makes the 747 fly upside down. That is hard to believe.
    • 4. Are you flying using the That can cause autopilot problems in my experience.
    • Ken, please don't over complicate things. Leave the weather off, fly in clear skies. Do things in simple steps. If you are folllowing the tutorial and basic things like the autopilot don't work try and resolve that, don't continue and things get progressively worse and more confused.
    • When reporting autopilot problems it's important to state what mode the AP is actually in. You can see that from the line of text at the top of the PFD (the Flight Mode Annunciator or FMA). That will tell you if the AP is actually engaged or not and if so what mode it is in. If the AP is engaged the word CMD will be displayed above the attitude indication. Without that information no one can assist you.

Hi!

• Realistic mode=A/P mode in the 747. Pleas read my post before you answer. I have not mentioned AS16 in my topic.
  • CMOS BAT: Change before install PMDG add on
  • I use the the HDG HOLD button. Hard to believe? I don´t care if you believe or not. It's your problem.
  • A / P, HDG / SEL- SPEED- and ALT knobs do not works. I have not say that the HOLD button does not work
  • Weather add on=off. EZDOK add on=off.
  • Flying with my keyboard? No. I use the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog.
  • AP=engaged. No HDG SEL mode. VNAV/LNAV=engage.  CMD= displayed above the attitude indication.

I follow the tutorial as I say in my topic. Pleas read the topic before you answer.

If your PC is showing a incorrect time and you've already replaced the battery it is time to Flash your BIOS.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

1 hour ago, Ken Wennerholm said:
  •  

Hi!

• Realistic mode=A/P mode in the 747. Pleas read my post before you answer. I have not mentioned AS16 in my topic.
  • CMOS BAT: Change before install PMDG add on
  • I use the the HDG HOLD button. Hard to believe? I don´t care if you believe or not. It's your problem.
  • A / P, HDG / SEL- SPEED- and ALT knobs do not works. I have not say that the HOLD button does not work
  • Weather add on=off. EZDOK add on=off.
  • Flying with my keyboard? No. I use the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog.
  • AP=engaged. No HDG SEL mode. VNAV/LNAV=engage.  CMD= displayed above the attitude indication.

I follow the tutorial as I say in my topic. Pleas read the topic before you answer.

You just said realistic mode, not of what.

Why even mention the CMOS Battery if that was changed before you installed the 747?

"HOLD" could have been "ALT HOLD" or "HDG HOLD". Please be specific. What was hard to believe was that either button could cause the 747 to fly inverted.

I only asked about the keyboard because that can cause AP engagement problems.

HDG and SPEED knobs don't work in VNAV/LNAV mode, so that is perfectly normal. If you press HDG SEL or push the speed knob then they become active. The ALT knob will work in VNAV to limit the altitude the aircraft can climb or descend too. If you aren't near the selected altitude then turning the knob has no effect.

Clearly I did read the topic, Ken, or I wouldn't have had to ask those questions. There wasn't enough information in it to allow anyone help you. Now you've provided more detail. The FMA readout you provided is helpful. Thank you. 

Unfortunately I'm unable to offer any suggestions because I see no connection between pushing HDG HOLD and the 747 flying inverted. Not saying it didn't happen but I can't offer any help with it. You would be better off opening a PMDG support ticket.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Just now, kevinh said:

You just said realistic mode, not of what.

Why even mention the CMOS Battery if that was changed before you installed the 747?

"HOLD" could have been "ALT HOLD" or "HDG HOLD". Please be specific. What was hard to believe was that either button could cause the 747 to fly inverted.

I only asked about the keyboard because that can cause AP engagement problems.

HDG and SPEED knobs don't work in VNAV/LNAV mode, so that is perfectly normal. If you press HDG SEL or push the speed knob then they become active. The ALT knob will work in VNAV to limit the altitude the aircraft can climb or descend too. If you aren't near the selected altitude then turning the knob has no effect.

Clearly I did read the topic, Ken, or I wouldn't have had to ask those questions. There wasn't enough information in it to allow anyone help you. Now you've provided more detail. The FMA readout you provided is helpful. Thank you. 

Unfortunately I'm unable to offer any suggestions because I see no connection between pushing HDG HOLD and the 747 flying inverted. Not saying it didn't happen but I can't offer any help with it. You would be better off opening a PMDG support ticket.

You said  "HDG and SPEED knobs don't work in VNAV/LNAV mode, so that is perfectly normal. If you press HDG SEL or push the speed knob then they become active". The True: No function in HDG SEL mode when push the HDG or Speed knob. I can not change HDG in HDG SEL mode. The speed knob is still dead after I pushing it. I can not change speed after pushing speed knob.

You Said "The ALT knob will work in VNAV to limit the altitude the aircraft can climb or descend too." The True: No funktion when using the ALT knob in VNAV.

I going to update my BIOS. If It do not work, I tell my PC re seller to change Motherboard. If he does not do as I command, I cut out of his left hand;-) I will not open a PMDG support Ticket because it is nothing wrong with the 747 and 777. The problem is to find in my computer. Thank´s for trying to solve my problem!

5 hours ago, Ken Wennholt said:

You said  "HDG and SPEED knobs don't work in VNAV/LNAV mode, so that is perfectly normal. If you press HDG SEL or push the speed knob then they become active". The True: No function in HDG SEL mode when push the HDG or Speed knob. I can not change HDG in HDG SEL mode. The speed knob is still dead after I pushing it. I can not change speed after pushing speed knob.

You Said "The ALT knob will work in VNAV to limit the altitude the aircraft can climb or descend too." The True: No funktion when using the ALT knob in VNAV.

I going to update my BIOS. If It do not work, I tell my PC re seller to change Motherboard. If he does not do as I command, I cut out of his left hand;-) I will not open a PMDG support Ticket because it is nothing wrong with the 747 and 777. The problem is to find in my computer. Thank´s for trying to solve my problem!

The BIOS clock can be an issue with PMDG software but you said you have fixed that by changing the battery. Open a support ticket and ask PMDG for help before you start on more drastic measures.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Ken, come fly with me on a livestream some time. I am going to be available most of today and tomorrow (off from work) so it's a good chance to get up in the air. I have time to do about 2 or 3 short to medium length flights and would be willing to answer any questions you have about any Boeing.

Well that escalated quickly. Easy up everyone.

Ken: You need to relax, people are trying to help you, let them help you or there's no point asking for help here. You left out a lot of important details and when someone asked you to clarify, you attacked them. Targeting and attacking people like that is not wanted here. Keep it to yourself.

Rick: Keep it to yourself, that kind of attitude is no better and not wanted here.

• Upvote 1

Just out of interest, how does the motherboard clock affect PMDG software?

I have to say, Ken, all the problems you post here are really dramatic control error with the aircraft banking, diving, inverting - these are all drastic behaviours that I have never once encountered with PMDG aircraft. I'd make sure all of your Warthog axes are calibrated and set properly in P3D, and I think you need to submit a PMDG ticket, as your posts suggest something is going badly wrong with your setup.

4 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

how does the motherboard clock affect PMDG software?

I think it's something to do with the computations within the sim. If the bios clock is wrong or faulty, it messes up the sim. There were cases of Asus motherboards having issues with PMDG software a few years back, I think it was fixed with a bios update.

FWIW: A bad clock issue on your mobo can cause all kinds of issues. My old ASUS comp couldn't connect or maintain a wireless connection because the clock there drives a lot of the precise timing required for all of that communication. It'll manifest in all kinds of different ways - not necessarily in the sim...

Kyle Rodgers