Sign in to follow this  
N1125Y

FTX Regions, do I need anything else ?

Hello All,

Question:

If I have FTX Regional like Socal NoCal Etc, do I need LC Vector & Global, or the regional are the most detailed ones ?

Tnx   

I think you must have Global to fully benefit from Regions. Vector is a nice to have similarly to LCs.

Regions are stand alone. They have their own LC files, even. The only situation for which you need something else, is the need for the region when you want region specific airports. Far as I know, everything can be used without the need for other products. Even the airports dont actually need the region to work, but then the edges of the airport area doesnt blend in seamless with the rest of the surroundings.

Cheers!

Maarten

ORBX region is all you need if you don't fly outside it.  A region contains terrain textures, land class, meshes, vector data, upgraded airports (lite upgrade), some POI and hand placed autogen and trees. You can't go wrong with an ORBX region. When you will fly outside an ORBX region you will see default sim textures and other default elements.  ORBX Global, Vector and OpenLC  are for upgrading outside ORBX regions.

Mike

I have ORBX Global  all of the West Coast NA regions except So Cal, but recently bought NA LC for when I fly outside those regions and I must say am very impressed with it. Makes the rest of the US look a lot like the regions, not quite as detailed but when you consider the area it covers it's a pretty good deal!

Cheers

Martin

I know this has been asked before but can't seem to find the most recent answer right now: Should I expect a substantial performance hit from either Norcal or Socal? I already have global base and and just picked up KSAN. Also, I have a bunch of other non-orbx airports such as FSDT, etc. I assume they all play well together with these regions? Thanks in advance and apologize for the hijack.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

NorCal is fine on FPS, but from what I understand SoCal is pretty hard on frames, that is why I never bought it, but with the NA LC I think Socal looks good and not a big hit with FPS.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I will probably take a pass as KSAN doesn't require SoCal as long as global base is installed.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

.. I actually flying with FTX SoCal, and didn't notice any significant hit on the Frame, however, I was expecting a bit more accuracy ,some stuff, which I think, are impotent is missing, like for example:

If you try KBUR Visual Approach to RWY15 you will get clearance from controller: "Cleared for the 4 Stacks visual approach RWY15" I was looking for the " 4 Stacks" but they nowhere to be found. 

The Oil Rigs  "Emmy & Eva" Fixes west of Huntington Beach Pier, those 2 are not there

...... Pilotage not easy despite the very nice graphic .... :-)

anyway guys tnx for all your comments, I'll take advantage of ORBX promotion and get the NoCal as well 

Cheers

yair