Sign in to follow this  
PascalK

g2d.dll causes CTD / Default P3Dv4

Dear AVSIM Community,

today I finished my new computer build and did a clean installation of P3Dv4 including Hotfix 1.

My System Details:
i7 7700k
32GB DDR4 RAM @3600 Mhz
GTX 1080 8GB
SSD

Until now i was not able to run P3D in any kind it should run:

/* ///// SITUATION 1 ///// */

Starting P3Dv4 as Admin. Waiting for the Main Menu. All settings left default. Click on "ok" to load scneario.
> All other locations set on main menu cause crash.

> Error: P3D has stopped working

///// ERROR 1 /////

Prepar3D.exe
594a7255
g2d.dll
594a7313
c0000005
000000000010c3b3
26b4
01d3185689bda9a0
D:\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
D:\Prepar3D v4\g2d.dll
8374137e-5d18-4340-81f4-8cd9d8a53b44

/* ///// SITUATION 2 ///// */

Starting P3Dv4 as Admin. Waiting for the Main Menu. Click on "Reset to System Time" which is actually "Night". Click on "ok" to load scneario.
> All other locations set on main menu cause crash.

> Scenario loads (Default)
> Try to move the aircraft using "Slew"

///// ERROR 2 /////

Prepar3D.exe
594a7255
g2d.dll
594a7313
c0000005
000000000010c3b3
2aac
01d318586df55bec
4ecd6ebd-0cbd-48a1-8277-9fcca3f427e7

/* ///// SITUATION 3 ///// */

All the same as Situation 2 / Trying to test chainging daytime > WORKS!
So error shouldn´t have someting to do with daytime. But error 1 & 2 clearly show that it has (when selecting in main menu).
Trying to change location with "Go to airport" all fine within US / Canada > Europe cause Crash

///// ERROR 3 /////

Prepar3D.exe
594a7255
g2d.dll
594a7313
c0000005
000000000010c3b3
01d318594237e733
bb55eec8-dc9a-40d3-941f-7f01f3091956

All in comon the g2d.dll
I followed your steps to "trouble shooting" and also roll back my drivers version which was Version: 385.28

I hope you can help me solve the problems.

There were no addons installed.

Best
Pascal

There really is no one solution to a G2D.dll error.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides possible solutions at the end of the guide for each error.  There were some suggested solutions for the G2D.dll error that worked for others.  The one suggestion to rename your p3d.cfg or delete it and restart P3D and let the system rebuild it is probably the best solution that will work for most.  When you set you settings too high or you turn on shadows too high, YOUR PC might balk.  Mine won't.  If you rename the P3D.cfg to P3D.cfg.off, you can get that config back if a new config did not fix your problem.  But I'm almost positive it will fix your problem.  At least that would be my first option if I got the crash.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

thank in avan for your  reply. Uf all three solutions didnt fix the problem. I tried an fresh OS installation aswell but didnt help either.

Do you have more tipps what I could try?

Best,

Pascal

So you reinstalled Windows and then P3DV4 and then all of your addons.  That's good as the Windows System Registry has to have all of the installation information so the products will work properly.  If you didn't reinstall P3DV4 and all of your addons, I can see why the application still does not work properly.  In the CTD Guide, page 25, I recommended downloading and running the Windows Repair tool (freeware) and that would save you from the pain of reinstalling Windows.  It would basically bring your system back to the default, fix any registry errors, and allow you to keep P3D and all of your addons installed. 

As I stated earlier, there is no one solution for a G2D error.  Every computer system is different and every flight simmer has different addons.  P3DV4 works perfectly without any addons installed (even with max settings!).  When you install an addon, that's when problems occur.  Old textures from the FS9 days could cause problems.  A product was not installed properly.  The product is not compatible with V4 yet.  The scenery.cfg got corrupted because you opened it in the SceneryConfigEditor or you opened it in Notepad instead of Notepad+++.

I would recommend you completely uninstall P3D and all of your addons and start afresh.

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sorry I missed that.  You have it easy then.  Just uninstall P3D, run a registry cleaner and reinstall.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Didn't work - would have the same effect as reinstalling windows - what I did before ... I think it has to do with NVIDIA drivers ... but can't tell what 

Hopefully you're right.  Not sure how video card drivers would cause a G2D.dll but it was a fix for someone.  You indicated you rolled back your drivers already and that did not fix the problem.  I get CTD's a lot but know what caused them so easy fixes.  For instance, ntdll.dll and/or stackhash crash starts after I mess with my OC.  Go back to the default BIOS settings and the crashes are gone.  In your case it really is hard to understand why you are getting a G2D error with the default P3DV4 installed and no addons.  If there were something wrong with the application, everyone who owns P3DV4 would be seeing the crash too and the techs at LM would be trying to find a fix really fast.  But that isn't happening. 

When you installed P3D, did you disable the UAC and your anti-virus program (if any)?  I see you installed P3D in a non-default folder and that's the recommended method.  Did you right click the P3D installer and tell it to install using Admin privileges?  One of the things I did was to go to the P3D/redist/interface folder then to FSX=SP2-XPACK/lib and install that version of SimConnect.  As I recall it was recommended somewhere in the install instructions.  Since you uninstalled and reinstalled several times and still have the same error, there must be something wrong with your privileges or you did something wrong while installing it.

Hope you can eventually find a fix.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi guys

I started having this after updating to version 4.0.28.21686-and like everyone else i tried everything-even formatting.

The sim would crash randomly every time-varying  times in flight but never on ground.

I decided to down grade to version  4.0.23.21468,and this stopped all CTD,

I have changed setting to maximum and done tests over varying locations and no CTD.

For simmers having g2d.dl carsh-this may be the solution.,

I hope it works for you guys too.

I think the P3D v4 team need to look into this and maybe do a hot fix.

Qas

Since you downgraded, I suspect now the cause could be the Addon.xml as that was pushed with the latest update.  If your addons are not properly installed, then all kinds of anomalies will occur.  Not everyone gets the g2d.dll error though and I think that has to happen before LM will find a fix. I use to get the g2d.dll error but no longer do.  My solution is one of the solutions in the AVSIM CTD Guide (can't remember which one).  I'm currently experiencing new CTD's caused by different modules but think I have the cause of those figured out.  When you downgraded, your scenery.cfg and p3d.cfg and dll.xml went back to the default.  Same happens when you reinstall the sim.  Gives you a clue as to what caused the crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM