Sign in to follow this  
FlyingEngineer

Prepar3D 4k Monitor to reduce aliasing

Hi,

I currently have a 16:10 widescreen monitor with a resolution of 1680:1050 and I am experiencing a lot of aliasing, e.g "jaggies" although having Anti-aliasing set to 4xMSAA or 8xMSAA in Prepar3D and in nvidia inspector to 4x sparse grid super sampling and "Enhance application settings". Particulary during night, all 3d night lights in greater distance are flickering.

I am wondering if an upgrade to a higher resolution monitor (2k or 4k) could solve the problem due to a higher pixel density.

Does anyone who upgraded to 4k or 2k experienced any improvements?

Thanks

FlyingEngineer

I am an enthusiastic flight simulator pilot from Germany with strong interests in aeronautics, materials science, engineering and programming. As I was just starting to learn English when I began virtual flying as a child, please excuse the poor English of my earlier posts (2015-2018) 🙂

FlightSim: MSFS2020 | JF BAe 146 Pro - PMDG 737-800 - Fenix A320

System Specs: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA - Intel Core i7 6700K OC  4,3 Ghz - ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC-Edition 11GB GDDR5X - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666 - Corsair Hydro Series H110i - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - CH Flight Sim Yoke - CH Pro Pedals

Yes 4k will help AA quite a bit but the problem is the shimmering still exists depending on the scenery.  My issue seems to be mostly add on airports.

Matt Wilson

3 hours ago, Flugsimulatorpilot said:

I am wondering if an upgrade to a higher resolution monitor (2k or 4k) could solve the problem due to a higher pixel density.

The pixel density is going to vary with the size of monitor of course.
With a say 28" 4K screen you may need no AA at all whereas a 65" screen might still need quite a bit.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

At 40" 4x ssaa does a good job at getting rid of most shimmering. The problem is I can't run it at most airports and have to settle for 8x msaa. Certain airports are worse than others and it's still pretty noticeable but not terrible. There are a few airports that are really bad unless I run ssaa (psp from orbx comes to mind). Keep in mind you will need a good gpu to run ssaa. My 1060 can barely keep up with 4k with ssaa so I may have to upgrade soon.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram