Sign in to follow this  
Guest flygirl57

Should I install REALSCENE 2004?

All right guys. I have a Q.I was just digging up my old stuff and found a REALSCENE 2004 USA Terrain & Landclass data sets DVD.I have not installed the REALSCENE 2004 on my server PC running FS9. The only terrain data I have installed there is FSGenesis west coast and Megascenary scenaries.I don't own anyother FSGenesis stuff. Yesterday I bought the F1 GE.Should I install the REALSCENE 2004 USA Terrain and Landclass would it improve anything?Thanks.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest PPSFA

It's going to be hard to improve on GE

I don't get it... Isn't REALSCENE ...terrain and landclass data?Manny

Manny

Hi Manny,Realscene contains good quality terrain mesh and a landclass file that tells FS where to place specific land class (land use) textures. Unless you have full coverage of the US with FSGenesis and its USA landclass then adding Realscene will indeed provide additional realism outside of your current FSGenesis and Megascenery areas.On the other hand, there is free FS Genesis LOD10 (38-m) coverage of the entire US available in the file library here as well as an earlier version of the FS Genesis USA landclass file for free at http://portal.fsgenesis.net/modules.php?op...download&sid=11Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger..About the FS Genesis LOD10 ..."Description: The Final beta of the US National Landcass Project. This is a free evaluation version for the full version. Full coast-to-coast coverage of the mainland United States derived from the USGS NLCD.Version: beta5 | File size: 2.02 MB"But its only 2.02 MB? Hmmmmm..... I don't get it.Manny

Manny

Hi Manny,seems like you're confusing the FSG mesh with the FSG land class files. The mesh files are compiled at LOD10 (38m) and rather huge; search for Justin Tyme in the file library here. They are big because they include a 16-bit elevation value for each vertex on a 38-m grid. The land class file is indeed only 2MB big (I bet the RealScene land class file isn't bigger either). All land class files are small; the default global land class file is only 18MB and most local land class files are just a few kB in size. They only need to store an 8-bit code for each vertex on a 1216-m grid.Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger.. Got it. In fact.. i came here to edit my mistake.Yeah.. the Realscene LS files are small.BTW.. The realscene terrain data has impvoed on the default.. but I don't like the Realscene Landclass. I just compared it to the default after saving a few locations.. like Aspen Co.there are less trees and brown patches with the realscene land class. Maybe its more accurate.. But I like the default's more trees and green around Aspen (Summar, Day time).I am now, going to try out the LS from your link. The FSGenesis.I am doing all this on my laptop that has the default FS9 installed.Its interesting..how all this fits together. I installed Realscene by copying folders and assiging them instead of using the installer that installs something in some lallaland. :) . This gives me more visibility as to whats going on.Thanks.Manny

Manny

Guest flygirl57

>All right guys. I have a Q.>>I was just digging up my old stuff and found a REALSCENE 2004>USA Terrain & Landclass data sets DVD.>>I have not installed the REALSCENE 2004 on my server PC>running FS9. The only terrain data I have installed there is>FSGenesis west coast and Megascenary scenaries.>>I don't own anyother FSGenesis stuff. Yesterday I bought the>F1 GE.>>Should I install the REALSCENE 2004 USA Terrain and Landclass>would it improve anything?>>Thanks.>>MannyI had the same question after installing GE. I decided not to install Real Scene, but go with FS Genesis 38m mesh. Along with UT,FE and ActiveSky my sim world is WONDEFUL!!!>:) Hope that helps in your decisionCheersFlygirl