Sign in to follow this  
awash2002

G1000 and Flight Planning

I got it and I'm having a hard time trying to get the airway to work right it shows the waypoints and my departure airport as the arrival airport 

I got it and I'm having a hard time trying to get the airway to work right it shows the waypoints and my departure airport as the arrival airport 

I just got the expansion.  I noticed that some weird things happen when you enter your departure/arrival airports as lines in the flight plan, and then select SID/STARS for those same airports.  It's best to go straight to the PROC page, enter the airport there, and select the SID & STAR you want.  I just started playing with the airways, but it looks like that feature also works similarly to the PROC page...i.e. don't put the entry fix for the airway in your FPL.  Go straight to the LD AIRWAY page and put in the entry fix from there.

The implementation of the FPL, LD AIRWAY, and PROC pages is not exactly true-to-life, but I'm more concerned with basic functionality at this point.  They changed some fonts and stuff on the map and these new graphics look really good. 

Some big issues so far:

-As with the Hawker and S/II, the flight plan always defaults to a cruise altitude of FL280, and there's no way to change this.  This means that if you want to use VNAV, you will have to manually change the cruise altitude at EVERY FIX along your flight plan because everything will be pre-filled with 28,000 as the altitude constraint.  This is already wrong because the real G1000 VNAV is very, very basic, even in the P300.  You must manually enter any restrictions you want to use.  There is no cruise altitude field, so you should not see altitudes pre-filled for enroute fixes.  I have not yet used VNAV in the P300, but I find Carenado's implementation useless in the Hawker and Citation.

-A/P seems to way overshoot any turn along your route if it's any more than 20 degrees or so.

-The course needle is not setting itself to the correct DTK for the segment.  The A/P mostly seems to be tracking the correct route (minus my squawk above), but the indication on the CDI is incorrect and confusing.  Playing around with it now to collect more information.

-I'm not sure if it has to do with SP3 or with the navigraph pack, but my inset map on the PFD seems to have a permanent "LOADING..." indication.

Alright...random thoughts...

CDI and DTK alignment:  The CDI is setting itself to the true course, not the magnetic course.  I was doing my test flight near "home", so I knew that the mag-var was 13 degrees E, and that happened to exactly match the amount of the error.  Further testing confirms this.

Loading airways:  Here's a useful workaround... On the LD AIRWAY page, you may discover that you when you select the airway you want and then move to select the exit fix, the list only has waypoints extending the wrong direction down the airway.  Go back to the airway selection, and keep turning the knob until you see a second entry for the airway you want.  Pick that one, as it should show all the waypoints down the airway in the correct direction.  

The courses being computed and displayed on the FPL page of the G1000 are not being calculated correctly.  Distance to the active waypoint is not displayed on the FPL page (it shows 0.00). 

They made the Direct-To button "work" (it worked before, but I mean to say that you can now highlight a waypoint on the FPL page, press DTO, and it will automatically load that waypoint into the field)...but it's still bound by the behavior of FSX GPS.  Be warned, if you use DTO with the Navigraph pack, it will give you a direct course line, but it's going to wipe out the rest of your flight plan.  I would suggest the following:  Highlight the fix you want to go direct to on the FPL page, use the "ACT LEG" softkey to make it the active waypoint, pull up a GPS BRG pointer on your PFD, put the HDG bug on the pointer and use HDG mode to navigate direct to the fix that way (you will have to adjust for wind).

Vmo (barber pole speed) is 320 KIAS in the P300, not 350 KIAS as shown.  I sent this one to them a long time ago, and it would have been the easiest thing for them to fix, out of all the bugs. :lol:  

What was the picture of the coder shirt that Rob A. posted a while ago?

99 lines of bugs in the code, 99 lines of bugs, you take one down, pass it around, 1032 bugs in the code...

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Think I'll pass on this. I use the GTN750 most of the time anyway.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I can't even get it to fully load the airways and I am just fed up with Carenado I hope that someone does a GTN750 mod for this plane I won't even think about buying anything from Carenado again

I can't even get it to fully load the airways and I am just fed up with Carenado I hope that someone does a GTN750 mod for this plane I won't even think about buying anything from Carenado again

Bert Pieke did a GTN 750 mod and it works great.  I love it.  Here's the link. Scroll down to his post and send him a PM and he will send you the mod.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/473612-gtn750-for-phenom-300/

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Can't believe the complants forum after forum on Carenado, the only reason i bought it is because of putting the 750 Garnin  in, but i tried and tried and can't get it in with Berts mod he sent me. What 's the trick to get it in the 300?--just wish i could get someone with Team view to come in here and see what i'm doing wrong. 

I actually like the Phenom 300 very much. As usual for Carenado it is beautiful, but it also doesn't have a "default plane feeling" with respect to its systems, it really has an individual touch. Yes, there are some problems, but Carenado is making a very serious effort to fix them and I am satisfied with their progress. And the frame rate drop with the Navigraph extension is within a range that I would consider as acceptable. I didn't expect to get a perfect product, so I am happy with my purchase.

Peter

I actually like the Phenom 300 very much. As usual for Carenado it is beautiful, but it also doesn't have a "default plane feeling" with respect to its systems, it really has an individual touch. Yes, there are some problems, but Carenado is making a very serious effort to fix them and I am satisfied with their progress. And the frame rate drop with the Navigraph extension is within a range that I would consider as acceptable. I didn't expect to get a perfect product, so I am happy with my purchase.

Peter

Peter, I would generally agree with you. Carenado makes beautiful visual models, but the more complex the aircraft, the more bugs they seem to have. And sadly, they are not usually hidden bugs. They are BIG bugs that mess with basic functionality, and it feels like they use their customers as beta testers. To me, that is not and should not be a good business model. But, they'll get away with it as long as people buy their products.

It seems to me that, for all the time spent designing and developing a product, spending a couple of weeks or more fixing bugs BEFORE rolling out a plane would result in a much better public opinion. Just once, it'd be nice to buy a Carenado product that doesn't need an update or service pack 3 days after it's release.

Hey fella's. First time user of the G1000. Watched tutorials on You Tube to get an understanding. The problem I am having now is the airport I am at is not showing up for the flight plans or am I able to scroll and select any kind of letters, codes, etc. The first space in the Airport box just flashes with a magenta ? next to it. Flight plan is loaded within FSX, just can pull it up on the G1000. Any help would be great. 

Thanks

Angelo

Hey fella's. First time user of the G1000. Watched tutorials on You Tube to get an understanding. The problem I am having now is the airport I am at is not showing up for the flight plans or am I able to scroll and select any kind of letters, codes, etc. The first space in the Airport box just flashes with a magenta ? next to it. Flight plan is loaded within FSX, just can pull it up on the G1000. Any help would be great. 

Thanks

Angelo

For some reason, the Phenom G1000 doesn't read your starting airport, or accept FSX flightplans. You'll have to manually input your flightplan, including starting airport using these steps:

1. Press Shift+2 and Shift+3

2. Press FPL button

3. Click inner knob 2x, then type in your starting airport using G1000 keypad, click enter

4. Click Outer FMS knob to scroll to the next line.

5. Click inner FMS knob 2x, and enter destination airport using G1000 keypad, then click enter.

At this point, you should have a direct plan between your starting and ending airports. Use the same procedure to enter each desired waypoint on your plan between the starting and ending airports.