Hello mates,  

Does it make sense to swap nice 980 4GB with 1060 6GB ?

Currently running FSX-SE (and recently experimenting with FX-11) with the assumption that sooner or later I'll have to abandon FSX-SE in favor of P3D V4 

Rig Spec 

• CPU Intel I7-4790K  
  • GPU Gigabyte GTX980 4GB 
  • Mem 16Gig Corsair Vengeance DDR3 at 1866NHZ   (PC3 14900)   
  • Storage Dedicated SSD 1 for the OS (Win10 64 Bit) & one for the Sim
  • Flying low and slow with FTX SoCal, 2 Carenado GA Birds 
  • Live ATC ( PilotEdge), so no AI

Rig is slightly OC, DX10, minor tweaks, locked at 30fps, running smooth & stable

Will keep the rig for a while, but have an opportunity to put my hand on the 1060

Appreciate your thoughts 

Yair    

It's a tough call between the two cards as they have a lot in common.  One thing is that technically NVIDIA considers the 1060 to be for the mid range performance/price market while the 980 is in their high end category.

The website to which I've provided a link below is a terrific place to compare graphics cards.

If you're looking to move from a GTX 980, then I wouldn't consider anything except one of the three GTX 1080s.  Going lower than that is bound to leave you disappointed at some point.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3439vs3639

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Going from a 980 to a 1060 is likely a step down.  When considering Nvidia cards, the last two digits in the model number are the indicators of its performance level.

00-45 = entry level cards

50-65 = mid-range cards

70-95 = high-performance cards

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Since you are running FSX, I don't feel this is a worthy upgrade. CPU speed is much more of a factor.

Guys, lets endeavor to provide good content for members of our hobby.  I know it's a little time consuming to read the post and replies, but it really helps to prevent our replying with information that germane and isn't duplicate of what's already been posted.  I mean this respectfully my friends,.

9 minutes ago, VeryBumpy said:

Since you are running FSX, I don't feel this is a worthy upgrade.

The OP stated...

3 hours ago, N1125Y said:

that sooner or later I'll have to abandon FSX-SE in favor of P3D V4 

1 hour ago, stans said:

Going from a 980 to a 1060 is likely a step down.  When considering Nvidia cards, the last two digits in the model number are the indicators of its performance level.

00-45 = entry level cards

50-65 = mid-range cards

70-95 = high-performance cards

Information, though more specific, was already posted.

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Just now, VeryBumpy said:

look-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-

No need to be passive-aggressive, I meant it respectfully.  All it takes is caring about the community that you're part of.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

I also meant everything respectfully and care greatly which why I shared my comments.

..the bottom line "Stay with the 980 & If you wish to upgrade go for the 1070 or 1080" 

I hear you guys :-) 

..so the next question is :

In respect to the current spec, should I consider migrating toP3D V4 at all ?

Cheers

Yair    

22 minutes ago, N1125Y said:

..the bottom line "Stay with the 980 & If you wish to upgrade go for the 1070 or 1080" 

I hear you guys :-) 

..so the next question is :

In respect to the current spec, should I consider migrating toP3D V4 at all ?

Cheers

Yair    

Well your current system is marginally stronger than mine (CPU and RAM), otherwise they are very similar and I find V4 works very well - at least on par with 3.4, and allowing me to enjoy most of the V4 improvements. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

..perfect ..

tnx guys, way more easy to make a move when you are in the background 

On 8/20/2017 at 3:41 AM, N1125Y said:

Hello mates,  

Does it make sense to swap nice 980 4GB with 1060 6GB ?

Currently running FSX-SE (and recently experimenting with FX-11) with the assumption that sooner or later I'll have to abandon FSX-SE in favor of P3D V4 

Rig Spec 

• CPU Intel I7-4790K  
  • GPU Gigabyte GTX980 4GB 
  • Mem 16Gig Corsair Vengeance DDR3 at 1866NHZ   (PC3 14900)   
  • Storage Dedicated SSD 1 for the OS (Win10 64 Bit) & one for the Sim
  • Flying low and slow with FTX SoCal, 2 Carenado GA Birds 
  • Live ATC ( PilotEdge), so no AI

Rig is slightly OC, DX10, minor tweaks, locked at 30fps, running smooth & stable

Will keep the rig for a while, but have an opportunity to put my hand on the 1060

Appreciate your thoughts 

Yair    

Here is my hands on experience.  Have used the 980, 1070, and a 1080ti with p3dv4.  The 980 and 1070 were very similar in performance for me.  I could run a touch more eye candy like shadows and dynamic lighting with the 1070.    Technically the 980 should sit somewhere between the 1060 and 1070.  I would not upgrade unless it was to a 1080.

Matt Wilson

On 8/20/2017 at 7:03 AM, VeryBumpy said:

look-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-

Now that's funny

Matt Wilson