Sign in to follow this  
AOB

Honestly

Is it just me or is this DIY Google Earth SDK approach to our flightsim a bit of a turn off. I dont mind paying for add ons I want but I sure as heck do not want to make them. Anyone else feel the same way?

On balance: disagree.

Photorealing the entire world is probably not going to happen.
There will be scenery releases sure, but what if it doesn't quite reach your favourite spot of airspace. Having the ability to roll your own is a real comfort.

I can remember faithfully replicating my home in FS5, and flying over the resulting cartoon. Very satisfying. :)

If the sim uses it as its main selling point and only source of scenery then I would agree with you. However it doesn't, so giving users the option of making their own scenery is a great option (Even if it isn't exactly the easiest of tools to use).

Even with something like Ortho4XP on X-Plane, some people  still prefer to buy commercial photoscenery as it's the easiest option for them. As long as the custom scenery tool doesn't stop others creating payware photoscenery, then I don't see a problem with it.

• Upvote 1

Key words in my post were anyone else feel the same way. :blink:

4 hours ago, AOB said:

Is it just me or is this DIY Google Earth SDK approach to our flightsim a bit of a turn off. I dont mind paying for add ons I want but I sure as heck do not want to make them. Anyone else feel the same way?

I feel the same way when it comes to preferring to buy DLC and not wanting to create scenery myself. But I wouldn't call it a turn off because those who DO like to create things like this probably like it. I don't. I rather fly. But it's nice to have the option. (Although the tool is rather limited since it doesn't have options for (OSM based) autogen etc.) Things would become more interesting though if people would find a way to share their work.

Not a turn off for me..... Just another tool in the toolkit, to be used or not, but good to know it's there.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As one getting on the back side of life's power curve, I look forward to "home made" sceneries becoming available for sharing with other FS2 simmers.  Not lazy - my skillset  just missing a few pieces.

On 8/21/2017 at 4:14 AM, AOB said:

I dont mind paying for add ons I want but I sure as heck do not want to make them.

I would also add that even after a year, Aerofly is still young, especially compared to the literally decades of development behind our other sims. Hold on there just a bit more, grasshopper! Things are happening. :emu_melk:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

have you seen this scenery in VR, I don't know about others but I find it amazing ! 

• Upvote 1

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram