Sign in to follow this  
AOB

ORBX Frustration

18 minutes ago, Zuendholz said:

So... two? Besides, as long as other developer/publisher like PMDG, Aerosoft, FSL and other scenery developer don't do anything regarding FSW, I won't get hyped at all.

That's two already and FSW hasn't even been released yet - Early Access means pre-release, for evaluation-only purposes.

Those who can't fly without an FMC, and then only if the FMC is made by PMDG, should save their money!

30 minutes ago, Zuendholz said:

So... two? Besides, as long as other developer/publisher like PMDG, Aerosoft, FSL and other scenery developer don't do anything regarding FSW, I won't get hyped at all.

You know FSW is early-access state, right? That means they are still adding and improving features. That said, they didn't release the SDK yet, all 3rd parties willing to join FSW can't do so until that happens.

I may be wrong, because I am considered old, because I am, but I think we are seeing the younger people ( the very few that are here), voice their opinion's about old school flight simulation ( this includes me). They don't particularly like the way they are talked to by the "veteran, old, timer, simmer's", the fact that they get their hand slapped if they post an image in the wrong place, the constant, I want my big jet's now or I am gonna cry, attitude. Jumping in from other forum's just to degrade something they enjoy!

Sad to say folk's, but it's 2017 and the young people are not gonna be here or any other old forum's or media. They are where people there age are going, ( wherever that is ), Steam, Discord, TeamSpeak, heck smart phones, etc... They could give a rat's about the 3rd party developer's you mention, because they don't know who they are, or care. It Bob's Sim Market put's up a really good DLC for FSW that THEY like. They will buy from Bob's, if they like it and if IT IS on Steam where they are used to buying their DLC, let the money rock and roll. DTG don't give a darn if you want your sim in a box, and that you want to download from your favorite jet company. They want to make it simple, make the customer happy, make load's and load's of money, and make a Space Simulator or something! 

• Upvote 2

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

19 hours ago, ca_metal said:

You know FSW is early-access state, right? That means they are still adding and improving features. That said, they didn't release the SDK yet, all 3rd parties willing to join FSW can't do so until that happens.

I know what Early Access means and I know that they are in EA.

But I thought Drzewiecki Design joined already? How do they managed to make their sceneries work? As long as other developer (the big ones) don't show any interest at all, FSW is a dead-end road to me. 

Apart from this, the whole Steam only and "developer/publisher must release their stuff via Steam too" doesn't make it better IMHO.

So this whole SDK debate doesn't make anything better.

• Upvote 1

Philipp Schwaegerl

38 minutes ago, Zuendholz said:

But I thought Drzewiecki Design joined already? How do they managed to make their sceneries work? As long as other developer (the big ones) don't show any interest at all, FSW is a dead-end road to me. 

Apart from this, the whole Steam only and "developer/publisher must release their stuff via Steam too" doesn't make it better IMHO.

Aerosoft, Fslabs, Drzewiecki, Iris, REX... All theses guys already made Statements saying that they intend to develop to FSW. If they are not big ones.. Well, maybe only PMDG are big. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Zuendholz said:

67 MILLION Steam users isn't better than the combined customer base of all the current flightsim addon creators and suppliers?

I do not have a problem with steam and I suspect DTG don`t have a problem with steam, DTG`s  FSX:SE sold 900.000 copy`s on steam since 2015 if a developer want`s to rule themselves out of that market that`s up to them, but it has been said before there is no hard and fast rule according to DTG , and it seams find a weakness in DTG then bash them on the forums is this out of fear I wonder, if FSW takes the place of FSX. We also know that just flight will support FSW and UK2000 airport scenery and I suspect more will follow. 

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, Zuendholz said:

We have some add-ons working on FSW, but they are changing things every one or two weeks. Until they have a RTM version this will be the reallity of the sim in early-access. The big 3rd parties won't spend resourses to release an add-on that will change on the next week.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure they are already testing it internally. If you don't like FSW in its current state, you really should wait more, I think they will get there in the future.

I don't see why the number of 3rd-party developers working on a base sim is any measure of the desirability of that sim.

If the base sim was so poor that it needed updates for terrain mesh, waterclass, landclass, airports and other scenery, weather, aircraft, AI aircraft, ATC, sound effects, in fact almost everything about it, how many of the 37 million Steam users would think it was really worth buying?

I think most of them would only pay for a well-developed, stable sim with all of those features built-in, and at the highest possible current standard, without needing any further expense - just like any other game on Steam, which may have add-ons in the form of expansion packs as entirely optional extras but definitely not essential to the main game experience.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, A32xx said:

I don't see why the number of 3rd-party developers working on a base sim is any measure of the desirability of that sim.

If the base sim was so poor that it needed updates for terrain mesh, waterclass, landclass, airports and other scenery, weather, aircraft, AI aircraft, ATC, sound effects, in fact almost everything about it, how many of the 37 million Steam users would think it was really worth buying?

I think most of them would only pay for a well-developed, stable sim with all of those features built-in, and at the highest possible current standard, without needing any further expense - just like any other game on Steam, which may have add-ons in the form of expansion packs as entirely optional extras but definitely not essential to the main game experience.

Since TrueSKY update sales have picked up again now up to 40,000 only another 800,000 needed to catch FSX:SE and it`s still beta.

And in a years time if PMDG did develop for FSW and the ones that have it now purchased an aircraft it would only be worth 3.5 million dollars not worth the trouble.

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

Actually, it's not even beta yet, more like a pre-alpha, and it's not even been advertised yet; it's really only people who frequent flight sim websites, DTG's website, or those who got it for free who will even know about it, or perhaps if someone search the Steam store. So to be fair, a lot of the 'sales' it can claim (Steam is a bit difficult to assess for this kind of thing) will in fact be simply that people have it on Steam by virtue of getting it free because they had Flight School rather than actually having bought it.

But the fact remains that DTG and Steam have not promoted it at all yet, when they do, which will be a while off yet, that is when we'll see if it sells. Try this yourself, search the Steam store for 'flight'. i can guarantee you'll find at least one flight sim you have never even heard of, in fact you'll find quite a few.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Since TrueSKY update sales have picked up again now up to 40,000 only another 800,000 needed to catch FSX:SE and it`s still beta.

And in a years time if PMDG did develop for FSW and the ones that have it now purchased an aircraft it would only be worth 3.5 million dollars not worth the trouble.

Ray Fry.

If PMDG decide it's not worth the trouble is it really the end for FSW? In 15 years of simming I still don't own a PMDG product and have no plans to buy one in the foreseeable future - I'm not anti-PMDG, I'm just not in the market for any procedural sim aircraft right now, the moment has passed. And there must be many like me, who just don't have the time for checklists and programming FMC's and following accurate real life flight plans, procedures etc.

Procedural simulations are a minority interest, for flightsim nerds if you will, and they're the last thing that's going to sell FSW to the wider Steam community who see flight sims as nerdy and for computer/aircraft geeks only. There has to be a fun element and a competitive element, and a genuine WOW factor with wide appeal, something that's never been seen before in any other game to generate the fanbase on which FSW can be built into a dynasty not seen since the MSFS series. Whatever DTG dare to dream for FSW right now, imagine what they could develop in FSW2 - The Next Generation, and beyond...

• Upvote 2

Just for the record I bought PMDG 747-400 v1 for FS9  as they were not interested in developing for other platforms at that time MSFS only I do not have P3D of any version.

And no if a developer decides not to support FSW I don`t think it will change anything because if there`s a market someone will fill it, that`s why I'm staying with FSW.

There`s a new sim in the pipe line Remex Software will be at Cosford Show 

• Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

Ray, thanks for the tip about Remex, that's news to me and good news for flightsimmers everywhere. And you're right about market forces of course, if PMDG turn their noses up at FSW they leave the door wide open for iFly and anyone else who wants to become a bigger name in flight sim than PMDG are.