Sign in to follow this  
Guest grot

My Pre-Lent FS9 add-on finds...

Guest grot

I'm headed into a Lenten austerity period and I have given myself a very tight budget to buy a few addons before March 1. I've made a couple of great finds:1: SpeechBuddy2!! I was thinking of getting Voice Buddy because it's been so well reviewed, but in the interests of frugality, I went through the trouble of downloading this (from here) and tracking down the libraries you need from Microsoft (SDK at http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/default.mspx) and WOW WOW WOW. It seriously rules. You have not lived until you've managed your flights by voice. It works brilliantly. I like handflying ILS and difficult approaches but I often find myself a little behind the curve between answering radios, setting flaps, etc. etc. etc... TOTALLY solved. Just great.2: BEV - I know there's just an absolute firestorm around GE right now, but I still like BEV - I think its a matter of personal taste.3: FSNav. Love it.4: Ultimate Terrain US. Dunno why I didn't by this ages ago. Rocks.5: FSGenesis - I have a lifetime on this, but hadnt downloaded anything in ages. The new landclass (combined with UT and BEV) has completely changed - all for the better - my local flying environment.6: Project AI. I never really thought much about traffic. Now that my skies are full of airlines, I'll never go back. Super easy.My next purchase, I'm pretty sure (and last for a while) will be radar contact.Anyway, just thought I'd share the love. Don't miss speechbuddy if you have a good headset. It's not PERFECT, but it is insanely great.

HelloI think you will love Radar Contact 4, i am using it along with a plantronics headset and Flight Assistant 2.2available here in the library. flightassistant_129206.zip This uses the same MS software but has a nice easy to use command editorhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/143550.jpg

Guest Boogie

"Lenten austerity period".Thank god I'm an atheist! :) Boogie.

Oh I don't know, a lot of people just use it as an excuse. A bit like New Year resolutions. And just as difficult to stick to..My wife is giving up alcohol for Lent, so this year I thought I'd join her. I'm not looking forward to it but it'll hopefully do me some good :~P So I better get hammered tonight while I still can }( Ian

Guest grot

Yeah, I see it as just a good period of time to stop spending money like water. Many reasons to do that anyway! Work out more, drink less, etc. etc...Eager for RC. I am just workign my way into the stock 737 and know I want to get more into it. I've been finding the last 737 lesson nearly impossible to clean though - it seems extremely picky - passing a fix it makes you toss 50 degreed of bank in to get on a new radial, cause I think it has a fixed 60 second timer. Can't figure out how to do it. If you cut a corner going past the VOR (so you can truly move from a 022 inbound to a 326 outbound) then it kicks you out, and if you actuall go over the VOR, it doesnt give you enough time to swing back onto the radial...Stupid me I guess....