Sign in to follow this  
nhagag

Sun Exlipse Just Curious

Hi

I am just curious.

If you fly today with ActiveSky weather can you capture the Eclipse along the path from Oregon to South Carolina?

Bill

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

27 minutes ago, nhagag said:

Hi

I am just curious.

If you fly today with ActiveSky weather can you capture the Eclipse along the path from Oregon to South Carolina?

Bill

Active sky is weather. It doesn't affect sun/moon positions (which I don't think is simulated in P3D/FSX)

The sun & moon positions are accurate in FS9 so they must be in FSX/P3D as well. No eclipse effect though, as in dimming of the light etc.

Would be easy to check, just by artificially setting your time and location in the sim.  While the moon may move into the path of the sun it's highly doubtful that they modeled any sort of dimming of the scenery that would normally accompany that.

Mark Trainer

Interesting question. All my years of simming never dawned on me to see if this is simulated. Doubt it.. But would be fun!

I checked.. didn't see anything through the eclipse time frame at one of the airports along the path of totality.

The sun & moon are texture files and there is no new moon file since you wouldn't see it anyway in the sim.

Technically the eclipse is simulated simply by the fact the moon moves infront of the sun. That in itself is pretty cool but that is it as far as the effect goes.

They didn't simulate any darkening as already stated above.

pity.

You should have asked in the Activesky forum instead of a forum for a addon aircraft. 

Eric