Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Coffee Lake 8700k to offer an 11% jump in single core and 51% jump in multithread

So, assuming same clock rate, instead of 20fps we'll have 22fps? You'll have to excuse me if I don't get too excited.

• Upvote 5

LM gave is v4 which gave us such a big bump in performance which is the equivalent of 8 years of Intel's progress.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

No argument on the multicore performance but single core will come down to it's overclocking ability compared with 7700k. For non overclockers, it looks damn good out of the box though. 

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

24 minutes ago, Slayer said:

No mention if there will be a version for x299?

To quote from a tech site news item:

"It is broadly expected that, owing to the extra cores Intel are squeezing into their Coffee Lake processors, there isn’t going to be any backwards compatibility with the 200-series of motherboards Intel introduced at the start of the year with Kaby Lake."

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

So, assuming same clock rate, instead of 20fps we'll have 22fps? You'll have to excuse me if I don't get too excited.

20 fps is unplayable... if your coming from a 7700k it's hardly worth it but if your coming from a 4790k like myself it is due to the 25-30% increase in clock for clock efficiency  in my case that would net me 10fps since I rarely drop below 30 now in p3dv3 an extra 1 fps would ensure smoth game play in all situations 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

after years of intel screwing the consumer, i went with amd with my 1800x, i can run my sims just fine, i am closing the book on intel,i will stick with amd until i am dead.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:03 PM, VeryBumpy said:

I thought it was just me...but I haven't been much excited about ANY cpu, past 2010.  Moore's Law died with heat.

I have a long-in-the-tooth 'age wise...' i7-975 Extreme 4 core, running at 4.3 overclock. it gives me 27-30 FPS in all my sims, and 40-50 for XP11, AND...120 plus in AF2.   

I just can't get excited about all the cpu's that followed its release, with picking up two or three FPS for hundreds of dollars asked for them.  I dunno...it was an exciting time for CPU's when Celeron and Pentium ruled the roost.  Then, you could see amazing performance gains, for the money.  Now...blah. CPU's have hit a wall...

My take anyway....

• Upvote 2

i was excited about ryzen, but nothing intel is exciting anymore, we should have 10ghz cpu's by now running on air.then all the flight sims would run at 100fps, we also should have 500mb of cache for scenery loading and games that require high single threaded performance.we have been hovering around 4 to 5 ghz for 10 years now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Patriot3810 said:

i was excited about ryzen, but nothing intel is exciting anymore, we should have 10ghz cpu's by now running on air.then all the flight sims would run at 100fps, we also should have 500mb of cache for scenery loading and games that require high single threaded performance.we have been hovering around 4 to 5 ghz for 10 years now.

That's because mores law had a flaw HEAT and still the same today speed=fiction=heat=meltdown.

AMD were into 64bit years ago but drip fed it to clear there stocks, it is also said intel chip are made on the same silicon an i7 7700k has 16 cores only 4 are unlocked.

Ray Fry.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, rjfry said:

That's because mores law had a flaw HEAT

Moore's Law was about transistor density, not clock speed, and it's still alive and valid.

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Then why put more cores on the silicon more CPU`s when all we want is one big one clocked at 10ghz by know. Back in the early days we were told they would just get faster and faster in terms of clock speed, on FSX release we were looking forward to the first 5ghz stock clocked CPU`s they never came.

Even the core count may hit a wall someday.

http://www.economist.com/technology-quarterly/2016-03-12/after-moores-law

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Interesting they are sticking with LGA1151. They usually switch it by now to ensure people keep buying MBs.

But I doubt Z170 chipsets will be compatible irregardless. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png