Sign in to follow this  
ClearedtoLand

In a Cessna around Southern Africa

From time to time, someone shares some of their screenshots of flights to and around Africa, and more often than not, the lack of variety for African airports comes up. Like most of those who comment on the paucity of African airports, I feel a similar hope that someone will add to the list of African airports. Thankfully, there are a few very nice freeware airfields available for GA around Southern Africa, Vilankulo and Inhambane in Mozambique being two of my favourites, and what better aircraft to enjoy life under African skies than the Cessna 182 from A2A. So, here then, is a selection from a recent flight I did around South Africa and Mozambique, hopefully this will encourage you to consider booking that safari you've thought about, or just load up your sim and take a trip to the beautiful continent that is Africa that way.

Leaving Johannesburg behind for Inhambane, it's a long flight, so I suggest you bring some snacks ... droewors is highly recommended, and maybe a peppermint crisp if, like me, you have a sweet tooth.

XlzcgJ8.jpg

Passing over the Witbank Nature reserve, with the Olifantsrivier (Elephant's river) in the background.

VS5v8TZ.jpg

Good thing this plane has an autopilot, it takes less time to fly from Johanneburg to Nairobi with Kenya Airways than doing this flight. Still, you can't beat that African sunset.

L1Brb0D.jpg

A little over four hours later, and we're down at Inhambane. First order of business, a trip to the men's room, Crème Soda may be the greenest refreshment one can get in a can, but it makes its presence felt over 4 hours. Having paid the landing fees, a trip to the nearby lodge for a braai and a couple of cold ones.

WGPX5fi.jpg

• Upvote 2

Wonderful seeing Southern Africa...very nice shots,,,,i wonder if you have ever seen whats called The Eye of Africa!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, HLJames said:

Wonderful seeing Southern Africa...very nice shots,,,,i wonder if you have ever seen whats called The Eye of Africa!

HLJAMES

Thank you for your kind words. As I do a lot of flying around Africa, I'm thinking I might as well post some of my flights from time to time to promote this wonderful but underrepresented part of the world.

I have never seen the Eye in person, unfortunately it is not the easiest place to get to in the world, the UK government even advises against all but essential travel to Mauritania, which is a real pity, it is a magnificent feature. And then the adventure of one way of getting there, a camel tour through the Sahara, camping under unobstructed stars at night next to a crackling fire before resuming at first light. Have you been to the Eye?

12 minutes ago, ClearedtoLand said:

Thank you for your kind words. As I do a lot of flying around Africa, I'm thinking I might as well post some of my flights from time to time to promote this wonderful but underrepresented part of the world.

I have never seen the Eye in person, unfortunately it is not the easiest place to get to in the world, the UK government even advises against all but essential travel to Mauritania, which is a real pity, it is a magnificent feature. And then the adventure of one way of getting there, a camel tour through the Sahara, camping under unobstructed stars at night next to a crackling fire before resuming at first light. Have you been to the Eye?

I've never been there but i have published screenshots of a flight from Dakar, Senegal to the Eye @40000ft....you would only see an area of igneous rock if you were actually there!

HLJAMES

17 minutes ago, HLJames said:

I've never been there but i have published screenshots of a flight from Dakar, Senegal to the Eye @40000ft....you would only see an area of igneous rock if you were actually there!

HLJAMES

I often look at your screenshots, your scenery is awesome, to say the least.

And, yes, it's just igneous rock, but it's also a mystery, and that appeals to my sense of adventure. I have a thing for rocks :laugh: