Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Can't Find .DAT Files

I'll post this over at the FSDreamteam forum if and when they approve my registration request but in the meantime here is my problem:

I downloaded and installed their Charlotte (KCLT) airport scenery into both P3D v4 and v4.  Worked ok in v4 the first time after installation but subsequent attempts resulted in right after the P3D splash screen showed, the screen turned black and I could go no further.  Then tried in v3 and It worked ok.  Back to v4 with no joy.  Finally just deleted and reinstalled and had the same problem.  Uninstalled again but had the same thing happen.  Could not get into v4 at all.  The last time I uninstalled I got a message saying not all of the elements could be uninstalled.  Went searching for and uninstalled items that were related to the program.  I was finally able to start P3D v4 ok but now to my problem: (KCLT still uninstalled).

When the splash screen comes up, there is also a message saying "Can't Find Any .dat Files.  Addon manager will not run".  I must have deleted something I shouldn't have but the sim seems to be performing ok.  Any idea what I have done and how do I get rid of that message every time I start the sim.  The Add-on selection still shows up in the menu bar but when I click on it nothing happens - empty.  

Would appreciate any guidance or suggestions as to what I should do and what are these .dat files that are apparently now missing.  Thanks

Jim

If you have the FSDT Live Update Icon on your desktop, run it and it should fix the problem(s).  FSDT will set up Add-on.xml's for their airports.  You have to do nothing.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If the live update does not fix the issue, (it should) download and install the stand alone FSDT Add-On manager.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Yup, I had that problem yesterday. I had to download the stand alone addon manager and run it again, and also run the fsdt live updater. I wish they would do away with that addon manager, seems like more trouble than its worth.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Thanks for the advice.  I downloaded the addon manager and that got rid of the "Can't find any .dat files" message.  Think that's as far as I'll go for now until I get with FSDT.  Don't want to go through that hassle again.  It got to the ridiculous point that when I clicked on either v3 or v4 I would get a message saying that another Lockheed Martin P3D was already running.  I know that wasn't the case.  Don't know what was going on there.  Would even do that after a PC cold boot.  Task Manager never showed P3D running.

Jim

Think you are wrong.  It takes 30 or so seconds for P3D to shutdown fully.  At least that happens in my case.  I have FSX and accidently leave it open then try to open P3D and it tells me another version of P3D is already running.  Glad you got your problem fixed.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10