Sign in to follow this  
AdiR

Dynamic lights with almost no FPS drop (my settings)

Hi guys,

I don't know how it's possible but I can use dynamic lights having very good performance with NGX (but had problems with it - www.avsim.com/forums/topic/514701-no-external-lights-illuminating-ground-when-dynamic-lighting-disabled/).

Almost no FPS drops with stable 35 fps and very good graphics quality at FlyTampa Amsterdam on Vatsim!

I would like to share my settings, so here you are... I'm just curious if my configuration helps you giving you better performance with Dynamic Lights enabled. Now I can use my landing and taxi lights at night without any stuttering.

• Prepar3D v4.0.28.21686 + UTX Europe + FTX Global Base + Active Sky 2016 + ASCA
  • PMDG 737-800NGX v1.20.8414
  • Intel Core i7 4790K OC 4,7 GHz
  • NVIDIA GF 980 GTX
  • SSD

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

Adrian

2 hours ago, AdiR said:

I don't know how it's possible but I can use dynamic lights having very good performance with NGX

First guess would be that your NI 8x Supersampling setting is not really working and you are just running at 8x MSAA?
Can you actually see a visual improvement with NI SSAA on compared to NI SSAA off.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

7 hours ago, gboz said:

First guess would be that your NI 8x Supersampling setting is not really working and you are just running at 8x MSAA?
Can you actually see a visual improvement with NI SSAA on compared to NI SSAA off.

gb.

I'll check this one later and give you an answer :)

Adrian

SSAA is a framrate killer with dynamic lighting. It does look way better, but it just doesn't play nicely with dynamic lighting. The combo MSAA and DL is what makes your frames great. Change it, and you are back to a slideshow.

1 hour ago, darem said:

SSAA is a framrate killer with dynamic lighting. It does look way better, but it just doesn't play nicely with dynamic lighting. The combo MSAA and DL is what makes your frames great. Change it, and you are back to a slideshow.

I had a slideshow with Sparse Grid Super Sampling (SGSS) and dynamic lights enabled, but this gave me absolutely no shimmering and the best visuals (I used P3D 8xMSAA with NI 4xSGSS). Changing this to P3D 8xMSAA with NI 8xSS solved performance problems having only little shimmering (which is acceptable for me especially when I had to choose - using my plane without taxi and landing lights reflecting a ground with very good performance and absolutely no shimmering - or using an aircraft with lights reflecting the ground during taxi and landing with a very good performance but little shimmering). I've found a perfect balance for me (taxi without external lights was really annoying). Solutions is quite easy - avoiding SGSS AA with dynamic lights enabled.

Adrian