Sign in to follow this  
bosflo

How do I know the truth?

Hey guys, finally jumped on the P3D v4 bandwagon and I have read that (xyz) add on works in P3D V4. But how do I know for sure that it is the truth? Do I have to look for a new V4 file or do I just use the same one I had before in V3? I have decided to only install products that state they are made to work with V4 and not just compatible. That seems like a big difference and I want a fresh install and not have any problems. I just want to make sure that I am doing this the correct way. Thanks

P.S.  I know some of the heavy hitters have said that their product works in P3D V4 but now I have read to not believe them 100% so I am really confused.

I don't think there is another way except to trust the developer when he says it's been remade for v4 (according to v4 SDK), like for instance Aerosoft Frankfurt Pro as of recently.

Otherwise read forums, google etc.

Aircraft though, there are lots of changes needed, it all depends on aircraft and how it was developed from beginning.

In the end, except if the addon has been created from scratch according to the v4 SDK, all are "made compatible", if you think about the sense of it.

I follow a simple guide: if dev said it's for v4, I use it. Never had a single problem. I use some UTX stuff, ORBX, Flytampa, FSDT, FSUIPC, EZCA, all the standard and known addons, and all is well.

3 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I don't think there is another way except to trust the developer when he says it's been remade for v4, like for instance Aerosoft Frankfurt Pro as of recently.

Otherwise read forums, google etc.

Aircraft though, they need to be remade, that's my understanding. There is no "make it compatible".

I follow a simple guide: if dev said it's for v4, I use it. Never had a single problem. I use some UTX stuff, ORBX, Flytampa, FSDT, FSUIPC, EZCA, all the standard and known addons, and all is well.

And also for OP if you follow LM Addon Protocol, you will install outside of core sim, and can disable with one click. Makes it easier to take risks when trying new or old addons, and easier still to recover.

-Braun

Can you install add ons to another drive? If my P3D is in the D drive can I install add ons to the F drive or should they still go to the P3D folder in D drive? I only install payware now, lesson learned too many times.

That's the point - "outside" of the main P3D folder means exactly that - another drive is just fine.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There are some add ons that MUST be installed in the P3D folder because that's the way the dev set it up. Usually, if the installer gives you a choice of folder, you can select what you wish. Be sure you are familiar with the method of using the add-on.xml file to install the add on. The Lorby Tool will assist in that.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

21 hours ago, bosflo said:

Hey guys, finally jumped on the P3D v4 bandwagon and I have read that (xyz) add on works in P3D V4. But how do I know for sure that it is the truth? Do I have to look for a new V4 file or do I just use the same one I had before in V3? I have decided to only install products that state they are made to work with V4 and not just compatible. That seems like a big difference and I want a fresh install and not have any problems. I just want to make sure that I am doing this the correct way. Thanks

P.S.  I know some of the heavy hitters have said that their product works in P3D V4 but now I have read to not believe them 100% so I am really confused.

For the most part if a dev says it works in p3dv4 then for all intents and purposes it will.  Developers do not open themselves up for product support nightmares on purpose, and that is what would happen if they said a product is v4 compatible when it isn't.  

The other parts of the statement gives me a squirmy uncomfortable feeling though.  "I want a fresh install and not have any problems"  and "only install products that state they are made to work with v4 and not just compatible"  First and foremost, my long experience with flightsim addons tells me that there is really no such thing as not having problems unless you install a very small list of addon programs,  whether they are all native v4 or not.  It's hard to reconcile sometimes with the amount of professional payware developers that there are, and the amount of money you can spend doing this, but flight sim addons are just video game mods.  and just like every video game mod scene there ever was, there is stuff that is gonna clash and is gonna break other mods.  I would generally count on having to spend some time fixing issues.  The other thing about v4 sdk stuff: it's up to you, but my opinion, based on the amount of fsx stuff I have installed in p3dv4 without waiting for updates is that the hysteria over never installing scenery not "pure" v4 is mostly overblown.  sure a few didn't work, but it was an easy disable/uninstall, and in some cases I was able to make adjustments to fix the problem areas.  YMMV, and if you really feel uncomfortable doing anything I would just do a lot of research and install sparingly.

as well, I am not an enormous fan of the the LM add-on protocol yet, but I may yet be converted.  the main reason to do so though is that someday LM might push an update that will break your install, and if you have most of your add-ons following that procedure, your pain will be less.

On 22.8.2017 at 6:51 AM, bosflo said:

Hey guys, finally jumped on the P3D v4 bandwagon and I have read that (xyz) add on works in P3D V4. But how do I know for sure that it is the truth?

You will know if there is "bad code" in the files if the loading bar stops for some time or if the add-on induces stutters. I would not worry too much if it comes to sceneries as you will notice if something is wrong. As to tools such as FSUIPC5, EZDOK V2, ASP4 (Aktive Sky) you can trust that they work in V4.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

If it's a pay to beta test kind of product,  they normally have a buzz word attached to the title such as "experimental, prologue,  backer" its Kind of like when you go to get your hair cut as a "model" you think your getting a bargain when really it's a 19 year old student is finishing off their skills/training

You'll run into problems perfect examples of this are..

Black Marble ( does work for orbx)

UT Live (ridden with bugs)

BBS (just awful)

Chaseplane (although it's a great product)

14ppkc-6.png

Chaseplane has been fine for me, and I was an EzDOK user for about a year.  

One of the few gripes I have with Prepar3D is that it throws files all over your system in multiple directories- for instance if you really wanted to uninstall it all you'll be visiting many locations on your hard drive...not all of which are covered by running the "uninstall" program in control panel.  Getting back to a true "base" configuration even with an "uninstall" and fresh "install" often doesn't work given the fact it leaves many residual files behind, mostly in the "Users" directory.

For example, I made a small mistake a few weeks ago trying to apply a hotfix and it took several hours getting it right again, and I have a B.S. in Computer Science and work as a software developer.  I can't begin to imagine what folks go through who just want to fly.

Froogle even mentioned once on his youtube channel he often reserves Sundays for fixing issues and making tweaks.  Insane as he is a developer too.

Mark

So I have been installing P3D V4 compatable sceneries but I have noticed some want to go to the P3D V4 main file. I guess this is ok because I trust those developers but I heard that you should not install to the main folder anymore. Is this going to cause a problem? and should I install to another folder if I have the option? or just let it go where it wants? thanks

It won't cause any problem but IF you have the option to install outside of the main P3D folder, I would recommend using it. The process will make it so much easier if you have to reinstall P3D. Those products installed using the add-on.xml method with get recognized right away with no reinstall needed. that alone will be a big plus.

But again, if the product does install in the main folder - it will not break anything.

Vic

Thank you, but I have one more question. If I install an add on airport to a folder outside the main folder how does P3D V4 "see" it so it can be used?

it "should" create an add-on.xml file in your Documents folder according to the LM SDK. If it doesn't - look for the Lorby Tool - freeware - which will assist you in creating the xml file so that P3D can "see" the addon.

There are also some addons that will put the info in the registry, some sceneries you may have to manually add to the Scenery Library.

Vic