Sign in to follow this  
ninerwhiskey9W

FPS locked at 10 after job scheduler fix

Hello

I just bought the PMDG 777 and a few ORBX sceneries during the sale, and after installing them, my frame rate took a nosedive from the ~40 to 10-15 fps when using these scenery.

After a bit of looking, i came upon Word Not Allowed's fsx tweaks. Using process explorer, I found when fsx is running, it only utilises one core at full capactiy and the others are at idle, So I applied the affinity mask tweak to get fsx using all cores.

I have a 4 core i7-4720 with hyperthreading enabled, so I used AffinityMask=255. And now the frame rate wont go above 10 even with all the addon scenery disabled. Even with the ultralight and and any deafult airfield loaded, it refuses to go above 10 fps. I can see in the process explorer that all cores are running at ~70-80%.

Is there anyway I can get fsx to use all cores and boost frame rates ?

It appears your CPU is rated at 2.60GHz. would that be correct?

ZORAN

with FSX, for your CPU - affinity mask 84 should work fine. If you get blurries, just remove it completely. By default(no affinity mask entry in cfg), FSX will use all cores. The idea behind this tweak is to leave one core for system, and this should increase FPS. It works with FSX only on my system, i'm not using it anymore with P3D

6 hours ago, zmak said:

It appears your CPU is rated at 2.60GHz. would that be correct?

Yes. 2.60GHz is the clock speed.

6 hours ago, lodestar said:

with FSX, for your CPU - affinity mask 84 should work fine. If you get blurries, just remove it completely. By default(no affinity mask entry in cfg), FSX will use all cores. The idea behind this tweak is to leave one core for system, and this should increase FPS. It works with FSX only on my system, i'm not using it anymore with P3D

With hyperthreading enabled, I have 8 logical cores. So with AffinityMask=84(01010100), it will use only first thread of the three cores ? I will give it a try.

2 hours ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

Yes. 2.60GHz is the clock speed.

With hyperthreading enabled, I have 8 logical cores. So with AffinityMask=84(01010100), it will use only first thread of the three cores ? I will give it a try.

No, it will leave first logical core out, for OS processes, and FSX will use last 3 logical cores. This usually gives a FPS boost with FSX. Here you can find some info and AM calculator http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=hardware

Tweaking is not going to help much. The problem is that a 2.60 Ghz CPU just isn't capable, IMNSHO, of giving satisfactory performance with a complex aircraft like the PMDG 777. And, since FSX is basically a single-thread application, some multi-core utilization gains are possible but there will never be a significant FPS change. Realistically, all you can do is turn the sliders down to lessen the details, don't use any AI traffic, and stick with the default weather engine. Probably not what you wanted to hear but it-is-what-it-is..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

Tweaking is not going to help much. The problem is that a 2.60 Ghz CPU just isn't capable, IMNSHO, of giving satisfactory performance with a complex aircraft like the PMDG 777. And, since FSX is basically a single-thread application, some multi-core utilization gains are possible but there will never be a significant FPS change. Realistically, all you can do is turn the sliders down to lessen the details, don't use any AI traffic, and stick with the default weather engine. Probably not what you wanted to hear but it-is-what-it-is..........Doug

Just about to post the same. And unfortunately the cpu isn't a K version. 

OP best upgrade your cpu but make sure it's a K version so that you can over clock. 

What GPU do you have? 

ZORAN

Tried using AffinityMask=84, and no joy. FPS wont climb above 10. Removing it however did increase the FPS to 15, although occasionally it dropped below 5.

Just using the 777 gives me a steady ~30fps, the scenery however kills fps, 

On 8/23/2017 at 10:30 AM, zmak said:

What GPU do you have? 

GPU is an 860M with 4GB memory. I use a laptop to run fsx, so I cant upgrade just the processor. I will probably get a new one at the end of this year. 

On 8/22/2017 at 4:00 AM, ninerwhiskey9W said:

Hello

I just bought the PMDG 777 and a few ORBX sceneries during the sale, and after installing them, my frame rate took a nosedive from the ~40 to 10-15 fps when using these scenery.

After a bit of looking, i came upon Word Not Allowed's fsx tweaks. Using process explorer, I found when fsx is running, it only utilises one core at full capactiy and the others are at idle, So I applied the affinity mask tweak to get fsx using all cores.

I have a 4 core i7-4720 with hyperthreading enabled, so I used AffinityMask=255. And now the frame rate wont go above 10 even with all the addon scenery disabled. Even with the ultralight and and any deafult airfield loaded, it refuses to go above 10 fps. I can see in the process explorer that all cores are running at ~70-80%.

Is there anyway I can get fsx to use all cores and boost frame rates ?

Try a setting for your four cores, with hyperthreading on: at 84, not 255

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=hardware