Sign in to follow this  
pilot100ll

Saitek Controllers SPAD.next not working

So here I am. I completely destroyed my wonderful pristine prepar3d v4 install on my completely dedicated computer system by trying to use the SPAD.next download for my Saitek autopilot, (6) instrument panels, radio stack, and switch panel. I read all over the internet forums to use SPAD.next. Well it didn't work for me. I am running Windows 10 64 bit with all the prepar3d v4 requirements. I have a Nvidia GTX970 GPU. All my USB's are working and all unchecked for power management so they do not turn off. I have A2A Cessna 172 professional paidware as I only want to fly this plane for now. Anyway, I downloaded SPAD.next and let it go to the default location. Downloaded fine and unzipped the file. That too went fine. Then I came to the setup wizard. Here's where it fell apart. The "Test Connection" of the wizard could not find the panels. It always came back "Test Connection timeout".

What am I missing? Do I need something else downloaded to run this SPAD.next? I don't understand. Do I need FSUIPC? Do I need Simconnect or FSpassengers? I am so frustrated. Where do I turn for answers? Hopefully someone in this forum can help me get the panels up and running.

Thanks for your help in advance.

JP

20 minutes ago, pilot100ll said:

Here's where it fell apart. The "Test Connection" of the wizard could not find the panels. It always came back "Test Connection timeout".

What am I missing? Do I need something else downloaded to run this SPAD.next? I don't understand. Do I need FSUIPC? Do I need Simconnect or FSpassengers? I am so frustrated. Where do I turn for answers? Hopefully someone in this forum can help me get the panels up and running.

Thanks for your help in advance.

JP

You certainly need Simconnect, however this should be installed for Prepar3d4 automatically. The Simconnect configuration of SPAD.neXt depends on if you run it on the FS machine or networked. I suppose the first one. In this case you should have checked "Connect to local running FSX/P3D". Of course the simulator must be running to establish a successful connection and test it.

Did you have a look into the manual (written by me), Sec. 16? I know it's a bit dated and I intend to update it within the next months but the Simconnect-related sections didn't change much.

FSUIPC is not required, neither is FSPassengers. However, you have to install the LVAR plugin for using SPAD.neXt with A2A planes. But the Simconnect test should succeed independent of that plugin.

I use SPAD.neXt (in a networked configuration) for the A2A Cessna 172 with all Cessna gear and Panels and 9 FIPs just fine, thus it can be done.

In case of further trouble you can submit a support ticket (from within SPDA.neXt), the author is really responsive to support questions.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This might help... You can try to run the manual installations of SimConnect as recommended and provided by Lockheed Martin.  They can be found in your main Prepar3d folder in the "redist" folder.  This will help you with other software as one rarely knows which version of SimConnect a software author used.  Note:  You might not need the Russian and Japan version of SimConnect which are also included with P3D.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hey thanks guys for your input, but I am now totally confused. Simconnect needs to be installed , right? Reading through all the forums it seems as if I need to program Simconnect. Is there any type of tutorial you can suggest to install this? I am not an expert and need all the help I can get. I don't know what to do. I'm thoroughly confused. I wish the Saitek panels I have were just plug and play. What basics am I missing to get them working? I also am running a single pc not a network. does this make a difference?

No need to program Simconnect, which I certainly couldn't do. Did you look into the Getting Staretd Guide coming with SPAD.neXt? Check if you have a file

Simconnect.xml

under your Prepar3d configuration directory

C:\Users\(yourprofile)\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

If so, you are fine. If not (I think Prepar3d4 doesn't make one itself on installation) make one using notepad. For a local (non-networked) installation the following entries should be sufficient:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
    <Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
    <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <SimConnect.Comm>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>
        <Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
        <Scope>local</Scope>
        <Address></Address>
        <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
        <Port></Port>
        <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
        <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
    </SimConnect.Comm>

</SimBase.Document>

(Getting Started Sec. 16, this is the entry for local use only). This gets Simconnect going.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

pmb,

So if I understand you correctly, simconnect is already in my Prepar3d v4 download, right? All I have to do is check that the string you displayed is there and if it isn't, use notepad to create it. Afte confirming that the string is there, I should download the SPAD.next (paid version) and follow the guide (sec. 16) for a PC (non network) setup? Then all should work. I don't need FSUIPC, LVAR bridge, FSpassengers, or anything else? Is there any special requirements I need for the A2A 172 trainer professional? Hopefully I'm on the right track thanks to you and the others in the community.

Lastly, I plan on adding Orbx, active sky, voxatc. will the above take care of the communication that needs to happen or do I need other software to run them?

Thanks and sorry for the drawn out questions. I'm just a guy that wants it right.

JP

The present Simconnect version is part of Prepar3d4. As Dave states, some addons may or may not need older Simconnect versions, where he pointed you to. I have all of them installed, but I think  SPAD.neXt only requires the most recent version installed with Prepar3d4.

Referring to the "string" you have to create a file called Simconnect.xml and save it under the place given above. If you do it using notepad, take care that it doesn't add an extension .txt. Moreover, the above directory might be hidden, in this case you have to make it visible using the Explorer settings (google for this).

While going deeper into flight simulation you will find more addons (like e.g. moving maps) requiring Simconnect, thus you will be glad you already have that file.

This is sufficient for using SPAD.neXt for, e.g. default or Alabeo birds and the like. For A2A planes you have to install the LVAR Bridge (the Wizard should tell you this). It's in your SPAD.neXt installation under

\Program Files\SPAD.neXt\GamePlugins

Orbx is scenery and completely unrelated to Simconnect. I highly suggest, though, to add those tools/sceneries one by one, read the documentation and get accustomed to them, always before making the next step. Active Sky and notably VoxATC (as I read, I don't have it myself) need quite some configuration, too.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks so much for the explanation and for taking the time and patience to help me out. For now I think I have a better understanding of what I need to do. I'll work on it and hopefully share some pleasant news soon.

Regards, JP

So I've been looking into the forums again as to the problems I am having and I think I've come across something. Could I be plugging the Saitek controls into the wrong USB powered ports? By that I mean, do the Saitek controllers need USB 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1 or doesn't it matter? I am also reading that Saitek support for windows 10 is poor. Should I rather install Windows 7? Thoughts????

I use USB 2.0 ports and powered HUBs (I have 5 Cessna Controls, 3 Panels and 9 FIPs). Moreover, I have Win 10 on the networked machine as well as on the flightsim machine. My Saitek gadgets work on both machines using SPAD.neXt, if connected to either.

Saitek driver support was poor for some time, but I think they (Logitech) resolved this now. BTW, do not install the Saitek drivers if you go the SPAD.neXt route, they are not needed for SPAD.neXt and can only raise trouble. 

If SPAD.neXt says it can't establish a Simconnect connection the fault is certainly there. It will not work without Simconnect, no chance. You can also test this without the Wizard after installation. Go to Settings|Application|Simulation and in the right pane you'll find Simconnect support|Configure.

Kind regards, Michael

You might have come across a post of mine (or two). Saitek controllers are designed for USB 2.0, but USB 3.0 is supposed to be compatible with 3.0 but some people seem to have issues with 3.0.  As far as I know, USB 3.1 should be fine with a 2.0 controller.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I am in a similar situation.My problem is that after upgrading pc my radio panels just flicker when I launch S/Next Have entered order no and other info they required which according to S/N was acceptable .I get the message to restart S/Next but unfortunately I get the same result

Edited by diavyd
More info

5 hours ago, diavyd said:

I am in a similar situation.My problem is that after upgrading pc my radio panels just flicker when I launch S/Next Have entered order no and other info they required which according to S/N was acceptable .I get the message to restart S/Next but unfortunately I get the same result

Do you have the Logitech Flight Sim Plugin still installed?  If you are going to run Spad.Next you uninstall that as Spad has it's own drivers for all the panels.

Les O'Reilly