Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Weather/Cloud options P3Dv4?

Hi,

What options are there for replacing the weather and cloud textures in P3Dv4?

Will an earlier version of Active Sky for FSX work somehow, or are there other solutions? Even though the entire atmosphere within the sim looks far more real than ever accomplished before, I do have occasional cloud texture flash and grow weary of not having real weather.

After all, picking the presets, including the heavy ORBX settings becomes old after awhile. What is the best and most natural solution here?

I appreciate any information, pointers and links you may have. Thank you kindly.

Kindest regards,

Active Sky for P3D v4 works. Older versions for FSX will not. Depending on which older version you have you may get a discount/License conversion.

1 hour ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Hi,

What options are there for replacing the weather and cloud textures in P3Dv4?

Will an earlier version of Active Sky for FSX work somehow, or are there other solutions? Even though the entire atmosphere within the sim looks far more real than ever accomplished before, I do have occasional cloud texture flash and grow weary of not having real weather.

After all, picking the presets, including the heavy ORBX settings becomes old after awhile. What is the best and most natural solution here?

I appreciate any information, pointers and links you may have. Thank you kindly.

Kindest regards,

How you been Buddy?

ASP4 is the must have weather engine. If you want dynamic (changing) sky textures and clouds throughout your flight, then add ASCA and you will be set.

OR

Wait for Sky Force by REX.

REX 4 TD with Soft Clouds is another option and it's p3d v4 ready.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Opus FSI works with V4 and has from day 1. Still gives me the best 'out of the window' weather and the best effect of actually flying towards weather fronts. The fact that it comes with linked cameras is a nice bonus.

RED TD Enhanced Edition now supports v4 as well and looks great (along with Soft Clouds)

• Upvote 1

Lots of choices, sort of...

Have bought Active Sky, Opus and Rex, all in times past so will perhaps look at upgrading one or the other (again). Just looked at the Active Sky offerings and must say they make upgrading as clear as mud. Sent an email, so we'll see.

Just found my Opus notes and remember how much I liked their approach. Also, the Rex product is due out so I will see what their upgrade paths (if any) look like.

On a side note, did any of you ever notice how sometimes it seems that many software developers could do a better job of trying to keep their customers instead of just trying to re-engineer new renditions to get new ones? For all the personality clashes, that is where I have to hand it to ORBX that keep upgrading all their products. Since I use every one of the sceneries I have ever purchased from them (100+), they are still worth every penny I paid, so naturally, I keep adding new ones to the list.

How many others can we say that about? I have repeatedly bought weather programs, with none to show for it.

Ah... never mind! :)

Kind regards

7 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Opus FSI works with V4 and has from day 1. Still gives me the best 'out of the window' weather and the best effect of actually flying towards weather fronts. The fact that it comes with linked cameras is a nice bonus.

RED TD Enhanced Edition now supports v4 as well and looks great (along with Soft Clouds)

I should clarify that Opus FSI v5 has worked with P3D v4 from day one.

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎22 at 1:21 PM, DJJose said:

How you been Buddy?

ASP4 is the must have weather engine. If you want dynamic (changing) sky textures and clouds throughout your flight, then add ASCA and you will be set.

OR

Wait for Sky Force by REX.

REX 4 TD with Soft Clouds is another option and it's p3d v4 ready.

Hey old friend!

Good to see you and thanks for the advice.

Even after buying several previous versions of Active Sky, being able to easily upgrade for P3Dv4 is a little hard (more like impossible) when HiFi no longer serves it's own former retail customers, but refers in cut and paste answers to 3rd party resellers. Perhaps I am just getting cranky in my old age :) and expect better, and won't pay for less.

In any case, I can wait for new and better products if need be.

When is Sky Force expected? 

Kind regards,

30 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Even after buying several previous versions of Active Sky, being able to easily upgrade for P3Dv4 is a little hard (more like impossible) when HiFi no longer serves it's own former retail customers, but refers in cut and paste answers to 3rd party resellers. Perhaps I am just getting cranky in my old age :) and expect better, and won't pay for less.

I have to say that HiFi treated me very well.  I emailed about how to get the upgrade price for ASP4 for P3DV4 since I had ASN for FSX and the reseller I purchased ASN from is no longer a HiFi reseller.  They immediately responded saying I could purchase the upgrade version from another reseller and as long as I had the ASN license and of course the upgrade license keys I would be fine.  The purchase, installation and activation went flawlessly.  I now run ASN for FSX and ASP4 for P3DV4 on separate SSDs.  Happy customer.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

40 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Perhaps I am just getting cranky in my old age :) and expect better, and won't pay for less.

It would appear so Stephen.  :biggrin: - been there, done that, have the T shirt.

The HiFi update process is pretty straight forward depending on which product you originally owned. Like many, there is the FSX version and the P3D version. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

24 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

It would appear so Stephen.  :biggrin: - been there, done that, have the T shirt.

Hi Vic,

Yeah, I officially turned 65 very recently and feel rather disgruntled about it. Of course the alternative to getting old is not all that attractive either. :blush:

In any case, like Bruce and most others, up to now HiFi had me coming back for more by offering good service and a great product that I could righteously defend against all naysayers. Hope that will again be the case once or twice more in the future.

Enough said, but not enough done... 

Onward and upward... :gaul:

Kind regards,

1 hour ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Yeah, I officially turned 65 very recently and feel rather disgruntled about it. Of course the alternative to getting old is not all that attractive either. :blush:

Hah! I have shoes older than you!  :laugh: Turned 80 in January. It's all in your perspective my friend.

As you said - onward & upward!

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Hah! I have shoes older than you!  :laugh: Turned 80 in January. It's all in your perspective my friend.

As you said - onward & upward!

Vic

Boy, I owe you a big apology. All this time I had you figured for a lowly 30-something or other. Sorry I robbed you of so many years. 

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

3 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

When is Sky Force expected?

I have no idea, but the promo video got my attention:

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

41 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

Boy, I owe you a big apology. All this time I had you figured for a lowly 30-something or other. Sorry I robbed you of so many years. 

I always knew he was wise... Now I know why! :biggrin:

Kind regards,

37 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I have no idea, but the promo video got my attention:

Going to have to brush up on my Latin to run this in my simulatorus! :gaul: