Sign in to follow this  
jbrett2634

Best scenery ever?

35 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Of course enthusiasm is fine in a user forum. But when bait topic titles of "best scenery ever" draws conflicting opinions, it shouldn't be surprising or unexpected.

Ah, but you are excluding an important part of the thread title if you place only part of that title in quotes; if quoted in full, the title is: 'Best scenery ever?'. Not a trivial omission; omitting the question mark changes the context to a statement rather than a question, which was not the OP's original intent. Any repost to a point which was not originally made is of course a straw man argument. Thus it's not a bait topic title at all, it's an invitation to discuss whether one thinks it is the best scenery ever, or not.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

So a headline on a financial website that read, "Best investment ever?" wouldn't be click bait? Click bait headlines often are phrased as questions, only to disappoint.

• Upvote 2

Yes that is true, many website headlines are exactly that, but that's the internet for you. In any case, that is actually part of the point of a headline; having been a sub editor at a couple of national daily newspapers for years - in one of my past jobs - and as someone who now teaches people that stuff when I present writing courses amongst other things, I can tell you that the point of a headline is twofold, one is that it should indeed sum up the story it relates to, but the other is to draw attention to it. This in order to make you want to read it, and that in turn is so you also see the adverts on the pages of the paper as you stay on the page reading the article, since in addition to the cover price of the paper, the advertising is the main revenue source for papers, so ever was it so with newspapers as it is with websites.

In the case of this thread, the title was intended to grab attention, but also was a genuine invitation to comment on whether one thinks it is the best scenery, and since the video was a good contender for people to proffer opinions, it genuinely 'did what it said on the tin' and thus was 'a good headline' in that it ticked both boxes so to speak.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

There is no hate for FSW. 

The topic started out as "Best Scenery ever". It's clearly not. In fact, it's no better than what's already out there, whatever your platform of choice. Then it moved to "oh but look at the rain and clouds"

Agreed,the rain and clouds are better than what's currently available. 

The original flight sim market has been fragmented, that's before you even consider adding in xplane and aerofly fs2 etc.

You already have developers coming out and saying we will only support sim x or sim y. 

I hope FSW succeeds. How that success will be measured is another matter. 

Of course enthusiasm is fine in a user forum. But when bait topic titles of "best scenery ever" draws conflicting opinions, it shouldn't be surprising or unexpected. 

It's your opinion, for me the OP is right in his title. ;)

• Upvote 2

I took it, "Best scenery ever?", as pertaining or alluding to FSW, since this is what this forum is about...

Yes me too. 'Best scenery ever?' in the fsw forum is clearly relating to the best scenery ever in fsw.

Otherwise I'd say best scenery ever, probably not. More likely something like The Witcher 3.

Chris

My impression is that the OP was meaning "best scenery ever among all flight simulators". And so I partly agree with GHarrall, with a title as that, it's very likely you're gonna spur discussion between users of different flight sims on whether they agree with the OP statement.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

On 8/23/2017 at 1:11 PM, Glynn said:

Of course it is, as we all know, it is based on the same codebase so no surprise there really.

I understand that there is some resistance and negativity around FSW from long time FSX and P3D users, but watch the videos and then tell me that default P3D environment looks as good.

Undeniably the atmospherics are the best of any default simulator available, there is no way available that we can buy rain and cloud  effects this good for FSX/P3D.

Out of the box the sim has FTX global, a $79 cost , accufeel $19, a handfull of recent Carenado/albao aircraft. 

The Sim is currently on sale for $19 and they have already pushed way past the graphic capabilities of FSX/P3D and it's not even a full release yet,

Watch the videos on you tube and imagine where this will be a year from now if it gets support from the community

The inclusion of FTX Global, good GA aircraft and Accufeel is good - the base price is clearly a loss leader for chargeable DLC.

Atmospherics and clouds are highly subjective - they have chosen a nice balanced palette in terms of tones and the lighting is good. The clouds show potential but I don't think we should get carried away - in my experience there is very little 'depth' to them when flying up close and through them and at the moment they have very pixellated edges and strange animations.

I disagree stating that it has already pushed way past the graphical capabilities of P3D - yes it gives decent performance at the moment with those clouds but it is significant to remember that is with no cloud shadows, no terrain shadows, no building/autogen shadows and a very small autogen radius. What's there looks nice in the most part but there are many things missing that could throw rather large spanners into the works.

Support can include criticism (in fact I would go further and say it HAS to) to push the product forward.

• Upvote 2

I think the scenery in the original post video looks great.  Its what Im hoping to see everywhere. I'm especially impressed by traffic that follows the photoreal roads because Ive never seen that before.  It may have been there in other sceneries but its new to me and I like it.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

I'm especially impressed by traffic that follows the photoreal roads because Ive never seen that before.  It may have been there in other sceneries but its new to me and I like it.

It's not new but you are right not all sceneries include it. Microsoft was clever to separate the vectors that paint the roads from the vectors that generate traffic. This is for a couple of reasons, if all roads had traffic it might be a drag on performance so traffic vectors are usually limited to highways, and also with photoreal the painted-on roads are covered up but the traffic vectors continue to function. It's crucial that with photoreal the vector data for traffic needs to be accurate or the cars go off-roading. :laugh:

Barry Friedman

6 hours ago, GHarrall said:

The topic started out as "Best Scenery ever". It's clearly not. In fact, it's no better than what's already out there, whatever your platform of choice. Then it moved to "oh but look at the rain and clouds"

Not to split hairs here, but the topic actually started out as "Best scenery ever?" I was just pointing out that the ortho+autogen looks amazing and this is coming from someone who has most of the wus covered by ZL17,18 and 19 ortho scenery. Never was it stated this was the first sim to employ the use of ortho. 

I'm sure the argument will continue to roll on as it always has, but the scenery in the vids posted of FSW look pretty great to me.

• Upvote 2

Well, it was clear the question mark was there. Therefore its normal to assume that there will be differences of opinion. Which is exactly what happened. Question mark or no question mark, its still a baited topic title and Im sure it got the responses accordingly.

8 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Well, it was clear the question mark was there. Therefore its normal to assume that there will be differences of opinion. Which is exactly what happened. Question mark or no question mark, its still a baited topic title and Im sure it got the responses accordingly.

Alright everyone, it appear's putting a question mark in your post screw's everyone's brain up :) So don't do it? See what I did there with the question mark? Oh no, and another one...

Even screw's the other forum area's up :) Originally I had an image from the forum title, but figured it was in bad taste, since it was not FSW related!

It was a post with a question mark and pretty much sent people nut's!

So no more ...?...

• Upvote 2

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

39 minutes ago, Learjet777 said:

Alright everyone, it appear's putting a question mark in your post screw's everyone's brain up :) So don't do it? See what I did there with the question mark? Oh no, and another one...

Even screw's the other forum area's up :) Originally I had an image from the forum title, but figured it was in bad taste, since it was not FSW related!

It was a post with a question mark and pretty much sent people nut's!

So no more ...?...

I use anti question mark software.

ZORAN

Yeah, I've learned my lesson - question marks don't mean "I think this scenery is amazing and maybe the best I've seen... isn't it great everyone?" but instead "let's all fight and bicker over flight sims and see who I can bait into showing anger today." 

No more question marks from me.