Sign in to follow this  
737_800

FTX Central Updates for Boxed Vesion

Hi,

I had FTX Central installed for a while now, however never used it. So I integrated all sceneries I had bought at FSS into ORBX account. That worked very well and I think it is a good tool to work with. However, I haven't been able to install updates for products that I have as DVD's.

Now I am wondering how can I get these updates for boxed version.

Hi,

I understand that Orbx are still trying to develop a migration tool to transfer boxed items onto a digital licence usable by FTX Central but it seems that this is proving trickier than expected so it has not appeared yet. When it becomes available they have said there will be an 'admin fee' for each DVD transferred but the pricing level has not been decided yet.

According to a post on the FTX forums this is "for DVD customers that did not use the FSS DVD crossgrade offer when it was available". However I don't know when this offer was made available or for how long and I don't think it was publicised very well as a lot of people, including myself, seem to have missed it!

Bill

I believe the FSS DVD crossgrade was made available several years ago for a specific duration of time. I remember reading about it on the "official" Orbx forum. The instructions and license transfer looked a little more difficult than what I wanted to try. Now I am sorry I did not do so while the offer was valid.

This same question has been posted many a times on the official Orbx forum with pretty much the same "pat" answer. For that reason, I have come to the point where I am no longer holding my breath for a "workable solution" to be available within the near future. Unfortunately, I got tired of waiting for that solution, bit the financial bullet and purchased "download able" replacements for some of my DVD regions and airports, when they were on sale.

14 hours ago, raymie said:

Unfortunately, I got tired of waiting for that solution, bit the financial bullet and purchased "download able" replacements for some of my DVD regions and airports, when they were on sale.

Makes you wonder if that's what Orbx are hoping we will do! However if it drags on much longer, I guess that is something I might have to consider at least for my more regularly used Orbx airports.

Bill

I am sure many of us in this same "boat" have had to make that choice--wait it out or repay for use able and or upgrade able replacements via FTX Central. I do hope this is not Orbx's agenda, but just some unfortunate unforeseen problem. Time will tell!

Not all dvd's were purchased through FSS in Australia,  I purchased CRM, NRM, PNW and  KJAC Jackson WY from Flightstore based in Mirfield UK, a Company with an excellent reputation. Seems Orbx were happy when they started, to supply retailers. Interesting that the box cover states "free updates".  However for some unknown reason the CRM,NRM and PNW are now showing they have been updated leaving KJAC as original install. Hoping to find out more at the Flightsim Show on October 7

Echofox

On 06/09/2017 at 4:22 PM, Echofox said:

Not all dvd's were purchased through FSS in Australia,  I purchased CRM, NRM, PNW and  KJAC Jackson WY from Flightstore based in Mirfield UK, a Company with an excellent reputation. Seems Orbx were happy when they started, to supply retailers. Interesting that the box cover states "free updates".  However for some unknown reason the CRM,NRM and PNW are now showing they have been updated leaving KJAC as original install.

Yes I too have purchased dvds from other retailers including Flightstore, who I agree, are excellent. All 12 of my boxed Orbx products are airports but none of these have updated. Maybe they just allowed the regional scenery products to update - odd!

Bill

Hi Bill,  hopefully I will be at the Flightsim Show at Cosworth on 7 Oct, if poss will try to find something out, there again is it easier to go to Mars ?.  Did you notice that inside the DVD box the reverse of the cover states that updates will be available, since Orbx went on it's own has this been dismissed, seems so !

Grant

• Upvote 1

Hi Grant. I hadn't read the inside of the boxes but checked tonight after reading your post. As you say, it says "Free Updates and Patches" on many of the boxed products, but not on all of them, which I would have thought might put Orbx in a difficult legal position if they are about to charge for updates! Of course they might be able to get around that by saying that the charge is for migrating the products to a digital licence rather than for an update. However under those circumstances I would have thought they should provide an alternative means (such as a download) to update the boxed products which contain the free update statement rather than having to go through FTX Central. 

Am hoping to make it to Cosworth too but I need to find a way to get out of something my wife has planned for that weekend!

Bill

Bill

Strange how other vendors can provide free updates to their products thus keeping their promise to their customers, I'm sure their are many simmers out there who bought original Orbx products on disc and who feel disenfranchised at not being able to update. I get annoyed when I cannot update KJAC airport as it is not registered with Orbx, which is correct as it never had to be registered, it is treated as though it never existed although Orbx must know it is on my computer as they say an update is available, but I can't have it.  It's no big deal, we don't know whats in the update, the airport looks OK as is ( I visited KJAC in 2002),  we may never know ! 

Echofox (Grant)

I agree Grant. I purchased most of my Orbx products as downloads but nevertheless I have 12 airports which I bought (in sales but that's irrelevant) as boxed products. You are correct when you say we don't know what's in the update but some of the updates might not necessarily change the appearance of an airport but might instead improve the performance of the product and it is frustrating to see them highlighted every time I open FTX Central!

Bill

Well the long-awaited cross-grade facility to digitally register boxed Orbx products on FTX Central 3  has now appeared. The cost for each product is AU$3.99 and you find out more about this and instructions on how it works over at the Orbx/FTX forum under OrbxDirect Release Announcements.

Bill