Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

FSJoin update!

Apparently, minimising to systems tray is a problem. Don't ask.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On port forwarding. Peter says:

One thing that would be useful to look at is the 'Route' column in the User list and see if they are all 'Direct' connections. If you see a number value in there then it means that it's re-routing the traffic, usually because of connection problems due to people not using port forwarding.

If you have a large proportion of people in the session that do not use port forwarding then you're more likely to have problems, so try to get as many as you can to enable port forwarding and that may help as well.

Our experience is that not enabling port forwarding may be a problem. (I have twice forgotten to handle the port forwarding properly and we had lots of desynchronizations. They went away when I went straight.) My understanding of the matter is that port forwarding matters for users who have a router and a local network. The router can dynamically change the assignment of the LAN's FSX/P3D connection without the user knowing and cause havoc. Under the old FSHost system, bad practice would drop other players' connections. (Users who have a direct connection to their router are not a problem – if I understand correctly.)

This is AVSIM. Perhaps someone more technically knowledgeable could weigh in here?

This discussion also confirms a possible problem when a player minimizes-to-system-tray the JoinFS window.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

The question that needs to be asked is 'How many of our merry band are connecting through routers?' Also, would it be helpful for me to connect as a hub?

1.3.2 is on the server. I caught sight of a mention of 'cockpit anomalies' which sounded hopeful. Note that you'll need to do a re-scan of your aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Peter is hard at work. Up to 1.3.6 this morning (Thursday) available on the JoinFS Development page.

Engine Shutdowns.
Starting with v1.3.5, Peter has added a better logging feature to aid in the diagnosis. His instructions are in his forum post here. Perhaps we can give this a try this weekend...if we get the shutdown phenomenon.

----

Oddly, it seems to be getting more common, but perhaps there's just more reports of it. Anyway, I'm looking into it. In the next version I'm adding some extra debug information into the monitor view to try and track the cause of the problem. I was going to post a new thread about it, but I might as well use this particular thread to do it. So, in version 1.3.5 you'll be able to take the following steps:

(and this applies to anyone who is experiencing this regularly)

1. Wait until you first see the engine cut out during a session.
2. Go to View|Monitor and tick both the 'Detailed' and 'Save to...' boxes.
3. Restart your engine.
3. Apparently once the problem happens once then it reoccurs afterwards. So repeat what you did just before the engine cut (i.e. substitute model or ask other person to re-connect to the session)
4. After the engine has cut again, go to the monitor window and untick 'Detailed'
5. Finally, either post or PM the log from the monitor window by clicking 'View Logs...'. It's the 'log-current-TEST.txt' that you need.

Hopefully this will help to get to the bottom of the problem.
Peter

----

• Upvote 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Peter is now up to 1.4.3 -- which includes a "possible" fix for the P3Dv4 engine stoppage.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

53 minutes ago, spokes2112 said:

Test 1.4.4 is out.. Peter seems to have used my lua tests to incorporate into JoinFS.
Fingers crossed on this one. His incorporation should have a much better trap rate than the lua.

This sounds most promising!  :happy:

Bert

1.4.6 is available as a TEST version. It addresses the engine cut off fenomnmonmomem....bug and is not compatible with previous versions. Do we want to use it for Saturday? 

My vote would NO because some folk aren't as quick off the mark to update as others.

Discuss.

Just my opinion... 
I think we should give Peter's new test version a good test, but maybe after this Saturday. We kind of owe it to him.
If so, we must test without that, ummm :unsure:, upload I provided, for proper test results. (simple renaming)
Can discuss on Saturday after the flight as any test subjects & the host will have to upgrade the now used "test v1.4.4" to "test v1.4.6".
"Test" and/or "release" types, IIRC, are not able to have multiple versions installed at the same time.

If anyone wants to test prior to Saturday and do a few installs, uninstalls, reinstalls etc.. I'm all for it. I would gladly be the "instigator" (fsx) with 1, 2 or more 'victims" (v4). The more the better. Email or PM me and we can schedule.  

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap