Sign in to follow this  
JC_YYZ

Help with CTD issue in P3Dv4

I am hoping to get some help from the folks here. 

I recently built a new system for P3D. The specs are below:

- Core i7-7700K (OC'd at 4.9Ghz)
- 1080ti 11GB 
- 32GB DDR-3000 memory
- 2 x 500gb SSD

I am running Windows 10 64-bit and I have P3Dv4 installed. I am using the following add-ons:

- AS16 (for P3Dv4)
- ASCA HD
- FTX Base
- FTX Vector
- FTX LC North America
- FTX Trees
- ChasePlane
- Add-on aircraft: CRJ, TFDi 717

The problem I am running into is a crash-to-desktop. This happens fairly regularly, and usually only after I take off (typically 5 to 8 minutes into a flight). I can sit at the gate all day and move around the cockpit, setup flights, etc. with no CTD. As soon as I take off,  I get the typical Windows message 'P3D has stopped responding...' and when I check the event viewer I get one of the two following errors:

ERROR 1 (Most common):

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7255
Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a71d5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000007b907
Faulting process id: 0x1360
Faulting application start time: 0x01d31bacf291af08
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\terrain.dll
Report Id: 9f145c4a-33e5-44ae-b888-059f46f4958f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: Prepar3D.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFD7EA4B907

ERROR 2:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7255
Faulting module name: menus.dll, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a71cc
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000005100
Faulting process id: 0xfdc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d31ba7b64f11bf
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\menus.dll
Report Id: 399f3fd8-d29f-4a82-9b0d-cc19499cf531
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: Prepar3D.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFD81FB5100
Stack:

I have done some digging online and I have tried some solutions (Affinity Mask, re-install everything, NVIDIA Inspector tweaks) and I have even adjusted my settings (Terrain Mesh to 19m instead of 10m, moving sliders to medium) and I am still getting these crashes.

ALL of my drivers and my BIOS is up-to-date (as of Monday night). 

I am hoping that I can get some further suggestions or areas to look at. I have yet to complete a full flight. I want to add the PMDG birds and some airport scenery, but I don't want to do this until everything is running stable.

Note: I have posted this in the ORBX support forum and on the Reddit /r/flightsim as well.

See the AVSIM CTD Guide regarding the terrain.dll error.  It is caused mostly by very high P3D and/or Display Driver settings.

The other error, Menus.dll, is hard to pin down as to the cause.  I found on the Internet that one individual found a bad AFCAD, removed it, and the error went away.  This is why I recommend everyone rename their scenery.cfg or to disable their add-ons (via Options/Add-Ons in the P3D Menu).  You had an unhandled exception where the code belonging to an add-on was missing or corrupted.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

See the AVSIM CTD Guide regarding the terrain.dll error.  It is caused mostly by very high P3D and/or Display Driver settings.

The other error, Menus.dll, is hard to pin down as to the cause.  I found on the Internet that one individual found a bad AFCAD, removed it, and the error went away.  This is why I recommend everyone rename their scenery.cfg or to disable their add-ons (via Options/Add-Ons in the P3D Menu).  You had an unhandled exception where the code belonging to an add-on was missing or corrupted.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim - thanks so much for the reply. I have also been talking to someone who feels my overclock might be unstable, which is contributing to the issues as well. I am going to 'freshen' everything up and very deliberately install add-ons, do testing, and go from there.

Do you have any recommendations when installing add-ons that can help prevent this from happening again?

An unstable overclock would not cause the terrain.dll error.  High settings will.  A bad overclock will throw an ntdll.dll and/or a StackHash error.

P3DV4 is coded differently than P3DV3 and earlier.  I have found that it is easy to corrupt the dll.xml and the scenery.cfg.  If an add-on installer was not made for P3DV4 and you need to install it manually, the safest way of installing it is inside P3D by opening up P3D and then finding and opening the Scenery Library.  Once open, click on the Add function to add new scenery and go to the directory where the scenery is located and add it to your Scenery Library.  That will keep the code of the scenery.cfg correct.  If at any time the scenery.cfg gets corrupted and you start seeing crashes before you get to the Startup Screen, then rename your scenery.cfg and let a new one be rebuilt in the proper code.  You will have to add any add-on's manually as I just stated.  You can also open up the Scenery.cfg using a program called Notepad+++ (please Google for the link).  It will usually keep the config in the proper utf-8 format.

I have since pretty much thrown away my scenery.cfg and gone to the Add-on Manager developed by Lorby-Si (see his commercial Freeware forum here on AVSIM).  It is pretty easy to add new scenery.  In fact, he has guidance for importing your scenery.cfg into his freeware program and his program will automatically create add-on XML's for your scenery.  This is going to be the new format in the future for P3DV4 and versions later. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

14 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I have since pretty much thrown away my scenery.cfg and gone to the Add-on Manager developed by Lorby-Si (see his commercial Freeware forum here on AVSIM).  It is pretty easy to add new scenery.  In fact, he has guidance for importing your scenery.cfg into his freeware program and his program will automatically create add-on XML's for your scenery.  This is going to be the new format in the future for P3DV4 and versions later. 

Very helpful! Thank you so much.

Edited by JC1980
Format