Sign in to follow this  
Muskoka

Sim world has been transformed....

Received my Rift bundle yesterday (3 days from order to my door, Bestbuy Canada) and immediately purchased Flyinside for Xplane, one word....wow, ok, maybe a few more. Visuals are nice, not great, but I knew that going in. But, graphics aside, the sensation you get/feel in all aspects of flight is just stunning. There's no describing the feeling really, you need to experience it. Like others have said, I'd have a real tough time going back to a 2d world, the immersion is that impressive. Touch controllers are working great, but with my yoke, rudder pedals, and the mouse very handy, I kinda prefer the blue dot interaction, it works very well. I've just been flying the default 172, but jumped into the Zibo modded 738 for a peek, and it was a OMG moment, I felt like I was in the real thing. Tilt your head up and there's the whole overhead panel, click away, fantastic. Ok, enough, back to flying.

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

You have drank the koolaid there is no going back. I laugh at people who want to wait for improved resolution. Now go try dcs world and prepare for awesomeness (is that even a word)

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

Awesomeness sounds good......:ha:, will give it a try.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I totally agree that it is difficult to go back to 2D as well. And the sensation of flight is there - no exaggeration, my ears popped a couple days ago on descent from 4500 to 1500 flying in AF2 from KISP to KTEB in the 172. I thought that the sensation of motion would "wear off" after a couple weeks, but it has not worn off at all for me. I'm loving it.

Looking forward to improvements in P3Dv4 VR and getting a new custom Jetline power PC.   

It´s so cool to read about first VR experiences in flight simulators. I remember my first time, and that was back at oculus DK2. Had my mouth open for days, and there were so few people with DK2 and even less passionate of simming that when I tried to explain how it felt nobody took me seriously.

And last night I flew from Mykonos to Sanorini (greek islands), and right after landing with my phenom 300, GTN750 on it, all the flightdeck light up I thought "really I don´t understand how someone can still prefer 2D".

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

3 hours ago, AccusedChip said:

You have drank the koolaid there is no going back. I laugh at people who want to wait for improved resolution. Now go try dcs world and prepare for awesomeness (is that even a word)

I purchased an OR in January. Used it over 4 months in P3D, XP with Flyinside, DCS and Aerofly 2. It was Horrible and I sold it. I lough at people who tell others its good! Yeah good if you like poor resolution and don't like to read the instruments. I will not be touching another VR unit until at least the 3rd generation is out or I read reports the the displays have been vastly improved. 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

30 minutes ago, chass32 said:

.....I thought "really I don´t understand how someone can still prefer 2D".

Cheers

Carlos

That's because you sim with mouse and keyboard (perhaps in addition to a couple of axes controllers). VR is extremely limiting if you have a cockpit or more complex hardware setups. Switches and knobs are "real" reality not virtual reality.

No offense, but until you have used a well done simpit with projectors, or best, a full motion simulator, I will say..."I really don't understand the attraction of having to wear vision blocking goggles and vertigo inducing displays."

7 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

No offense, but until you have used a well done simpit with projectors, or best, a full motion simulator, I will say..."I really don't understand the attraction of having to wear vision blocking goggles and vertigo inducing displays."

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations! I think some will not see validity on VR, but I also think that many more will be joining the club soon. Time will tell!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

That's because you sim with mouse and keyboard (perhaps in addition to a couple of axes controllers). VR is extremely limiting if you have a cockpit or more complex hardware setups. Switches and knobs are "real" reality not virtual reality.

I think it's probably going to be either-or.  Either you fly with whatever level of simpit you have, which may be little more than a joystick and keyboard, or you fly VR which prevents the use of most anything more than yoke, pedals and throttle...you have to click "inside" without any other hardware.  The VR is appealing because you see everything with a turn of your head.  But a real quality simpit is great too since it's tactil, feels real, reduces what has to be rendered, etc.  I think both experiences could be pretty amazing.  Personally, I think a simpit would be cooler but VR would be cheaper and more flexible since you could fly more aircraft. 

And there's people like me, sitting in the middle of the two choices...not a lame setup but not doing VR either.  :)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations! I think some will not see validity on VR, but I also think that many more will be joining the club soon. Time will tell!

Sure, not my intent to diminish the use or attraction to VR. The human brain is uniquely wired to process 3D visual data. My intent was to illustrate there are other perspectives and VR is not the end all experience, at least in its current form. Microsoft has an augmented VR platform in the works that would work great with simpit, for example.

My unique qualifications for this discussion:

1) 20 years in aerial photogrammetry, primarily in stereo-mapping. See: "stereoplotter operator". Most everyday viewing aerial photographs in 3D and making very precise measurements from them for 2 decades

2) 23 years rock climbing and giving near a hundred people their first rock climbing experience. If you understand induced vertigo, you will know that it is caused by the discrepancy between what the inner ear is telling the brain and what the eyes are telling the brain. This most certainly applies to current VR technology.

30 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

2) 23 years rock climbing and giving near a hundred people their first rock climbing experience. If you understand induced vertigo, you will know that it is caused by the discrepancy between what the inner ear is telling the brain and what the eyes are telling the brain. This most certainly applies to current VR technology.

Its great for me though that I seem to enjoy vertigo, and will happily spin and loop anything that will fly in VR while grinning broadly. 

I have decided I am a mutant. :laugh:

I love vr

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

43 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

No offense taken, really, we may have different points of view (as everything in life) but respect is essential and you show it. I never wanted to be disrespectful with the people that love 2D,my fault if I was, it´s just that I tend to imagine that most of them have never tried flying in VR.

Sure I have my controllers, pedals and so on, don ´t really need extra screens cause I already have them on my cockpit like the GTN 750 (I can program it without a problem in VR, so yes, I can read the gauges and panels or read perfectly every single button or knob of the pmdg without leaning a single inch). For me everything is about inmersion, feeling I´m there, inside the flightdeck wherever I look, feel the real size of a runway while landing, or even  get out of your plane to do a quick exterior inspection  and no, I can´t get that feeling with HD projectors. I´ve been Flights coordinator for an airline for more than 20 years  and I like to think that my passion for inmersion in simulators, comes from there.

It´s just a matter of time (flyinside already does that but not brilliantly for me) that VR gets more resolution so you can even check your charts in your VR flightdeck, or use knobs and button with your own hands (Xplane has an update projected for this fall with that, and the videos are very promising).

About sickness and vertigo, well I have a lot in VR, can´t use it with cars simulators, since I get sick by the second lap and experiences that makes you walk or turn, they kill me. But never had a single second of sickness or vertigo with P3D, X-plane or even DCS in VR. Don´t know the reason.

Again, sorry If I offended someone, was not my intention, but I really feel that the Flight simulator future is going to be very VR biased.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

2 minutes ago, chass32 said:

Again, sorry If I offended someone, was not my intention, but I really feel that the Flight simulator future is going to be very VR biased.

Cheers

Carlos

All good man. thanks for the reply.

• Upvote 1

I was into the simpit thing for quite a while. Had a triple monitor setup for years in FSX, and recently made my own panels using Ardsim(X) / Arduino for XP 10 and 11, and used Leo Bodnars boards years before that. They worked great, and were fun to build, but the feeling(s) I'm feeling right now were not present, not even close, in a 2d simpit. To me, there's just no comparison. Now, if someone has issues with the reduced resolution of current VR, I get it, it is reduced considerably, but a 2d pit in no way immerses your senses like this VR. I've spent a lot of money over the years on boards, pots, encoders, switches, endless hours of research, and learning, but I have no problem giving it all up for this.

Just for fun, I opened the door of the default C172 in XP11 at 3000' agl and had a physical reaction (no, didn't fill my pants :blink:), but I felt something. There was a sense of fear, vulnerability maybe, a kind of wrenching in the gut. Never came close to anything like that in a 2d pit. And flying through the clouds just looks and feels totally different, everything seems faster if that makes sense,it's hard to describe, I guess folks lucky enough to fly the real thing know the feeling. This is as close as I'm ever going to get.

Just my thoughts....

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Muskoka said:

This is as close as I'm ever going to get.

Just my thoughts....

How are you reading approach charts?