Sign in to follow this  
MM

The Andes. Part II.

Avenue of the Volcanoes.

In our second Andes flight, we travel over southern Colombia and then through the dramatic "Avenue of the Volcanoes" to visit three major Ecuadorian cities: Quito, Guayaquil, and Cuenca.

We start at Antonio Narino Airport (SKPS) that serves Pasto – the airport is famous for its "aircraft carrier" character, perched on a narrow plateau. We then head south over Pasto and pass Galeras volcano to land at Ipiales San Luis (SKIP). Then we proceed past Ibarra (SEIB) as a waypoint, circle south around Imbabura volcano, and fly over the new real-world-active international airport for Quito. (This is designated as SEQM in our scenery but is now SEQU in reality). We continue to land at the old (and now defunct) Quito Martial Sucre Airport (SEQU) that is in default FSX-P3D. The old airport, located near the mountains and volcanoes and in the middle of the city is famously a challenge. We shall take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy the experience as one can do only in a simulation. We take off southward and pass Cotopaxi volcano, world famous for its symmetry. (Both Galeras and Cotopaxi are incredibly dangerous.) We land on the long runway at Latacunga (SELT). And then depart further southward and pass Chimborazo volcano whose peak is the farthest point on the Earth's surface from the Earth's center – the "closest place to space on earth." We land at nearby Riobamba (SERB). Then a steep climb over the western Andean cordillera and a descent to the Pacific coast to visit Guayaquil (SEGU). Finally, we return eastward (flying over SE57 as a waypoint) and ascend again into the Andean valley to land at beautiful Cuenca (SECU), a UNESCO World Heritage site and magnet for expatriates.

Flightplan and Pilot's Guide:

Available here.

Aircraft:

Given the plan's high altitudes and 386nm length, you probably want something with a turbocharger (supercharger) or turbine engines that can cruise at 200kts. I shall be flying the Real Air Duke Turbine in the (stock) HK-4628-G livery.

CS_SKPS_Duke_HK-4628.jpg

Recommended scenery:

Standard Stuff:
Orbx FTX Global Base.
Orbx FTX Global South America Landclass.
Orbx FTX Global Vector. (Not necessary, but it is useful to see the roads and rivers fit into the valleys.).

Special for this flight (all freeware):
North Central Ecuador v2 (SEQU). Carlyle Sharpe. Avsim here.
Jose Joaquin de Olmedo International Airport (SEGU). Carlye Sharpe. Avsim here.
(These are not essential. The first provides Quito's new SEQM. Be careful not to eliminate Quito's old SEQU. The second generates more detail to make SEGU more believable.)

Particulars:

Date and time: Saturday August 26, 2017, 18:00 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. Latest version is here. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D)
If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Recommend that you set your initial clock to 15:00 hours in local time to account for flight time. the quick equatorial sunset, and the usual "faffing about" time.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

That's let me off the hook! I felt duty bound to give the C-47 another chance, but Terby Dook it is. :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

That's my airplane. and I have the serial number and receipt from Real Air to prove it!

Don't tell me they sold it to anyone else besides me? ;)

Kind regards,

Really enjoyed this session.  The link to the "PilotsEye" video below has an excellent description of the approach to Quito (old airport).  I know Ron will appreciate it because, nothings better than a big jet with an attractive co-pilot.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Brilliant!

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Be careful not to do a 'follow on' from that video. Your evening will be wrecked! Marvelous stuff! In one of them the pilot gets an error message on his PDF? (something like that) and the engineer on the ground talks him through correcting it. The pilot couldn't get over how good the engineer was!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.