Sign in to follow this  
JYW

P3Dv4 - "Minecraft" sun

Hi folks,

My sun in P3Dv4 has turned into a Minecraft block!

The only new addon I've installed is the Alabeo Mooney, yet as of today, my sun now looks like this.  (It wasn't like this yesterday - odd). I'm not using PTA right now and HDR is turned off.   Now I'm all for a bit of "Black Hole Sun" but not keen on "Pink Square Sun" Lol! :biggrin:  Anyone know what might be causing this, or how to resolve?     Thanks in advance.

2017-825.jpg

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I had something similar but different.  Basically spirals from ground up every mile or so.  I fixed that by changing (I believe) texture filtering to trilinear.  I'm not in front of my rig right now, so I'm doing this by memory (it may be a different setting, but you can try this.  I'll edit the post in a couple hours if I realize it's different).  Hopefully it works

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, blaird22 said:

I had something similar but different.  Basically spirals from ground up every mile or so.  I fixed that by changing (I believe) texture filtering to trilinear.  I'm not in front of my rig right now, so I'm doing this by memory (it may be a different setting, but you can try this.  I'll edit the post in a couple hours if I realize it's different).  Hopefully it works

Thanks Brian. I'm currently using Anisotropic 4x  in P3Dv4.  Dropping to Trilinear gives me very bad jaggies so wouldn't be keen to set filtering lower than 4x.

Bill

7 minutes ago, blaird22 said:

Are you sure they're not thermals? You can disable them in settings.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

13 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Are you sure they're not thermals? You can disable them in settings.

Vic

Hmm, it might have been.  That would make sense.  I couldn't find any info at the time of my problem so I was changing stuff, changing back, etc until something worked.  Again, not at my rig, so I can't verify but I wouldn't be surprised.  Thanks Vic, sorry Bill!

"Mama always told me not to look into the eye's of the sun
But, mama, that's where the fun is".

Are you using a 3rd party texture program? If so you can restore original textures.

• Upvote 1

Oh no problem at all, @blaird22  :)    Hope you get your spiky thermals sorted out!

I have a feeling my problem is shader related, so about to delete the Shader folder and go fly, and see if my Pink Square Sun has gone off, back to the Minecraft world it came from :biggrin:

Bill

Yep, deleting the shaders and letting them rebuild fixed the strange sun!

Bill

14 minutes ago, JYW said:

Yep, deleting the shaders and letting them rebuild fixed the strange sun!

I wonder what caused it to go bad and pink?

Just now, bills511 said:

I wonder what caused it to go bad and pink?

I've no idea but I did previously use PTA but had removed it and turned off HDR.  So perhaps I messed up and hadn't properly restored the default P3D texture set.  :)

Bill

3 hours ago, JYW said:

I've no idea but I did previously use PTA but had removed it and turned off HDR.  So perhaps I messed up and hadn't properly restored the default P3D texture set.  :)

Just out of curiosity, why did you remove pta? I can't fly without it now.

9 hours ago, sbague1 said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you remove pta? I can't fly without it now.

It was purely because I'm due a GPU upgrade and having HDR on impacts performance too much in P3Dv4 for me, and reduces smoothness.    As soon as I've got a beefier GPU I'd be straight back on it!

(I am right in thinking that PTA will only be 'seen' with HDR on, right?)

Bill

I have never had hdr on. I use an i5 6600k overclocked to 4.2ghz and use a r9 390x with 16 gigs of some 3200mhz ram. My system is by no means a beast but good enough for me.

Well, that was worth waiting three years for :laugh::blink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

is this a spambot? remember those?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's