Sign in to follow this  
DeeGee

AI Tracker X with P3D and Oculus Rift

I operate the Tornado F3 Mission Simulator fitted with Oculus Rift and P3D.

I've been building scenarios for visitors to fly against, mostly Cold war profiles. I've been recording flights with the add on models and then flying the F3 against the recorded profile. I came across AI Tracker X and thought it worth trying it out to see if I could add formations of intruders simply. It's early days but it seems to do exactly what I need. I've loaded some typical Soviet profiles as flight plans and had a pair of Blackjacks run at the UK from Stavanger in trail formation. Departing from the same airfield it's disconcerting for a "Cold War Warrior" to watch a pair of Tu-160s line up and take off! Once alongside in the air, the target is stable and in formation the resolution is good.

Next steps are to build up a few scerios and record them for future use.

Has anyone tried the program and what are your impressions? Also, there seems little discussion about the program on the forums. Am I missing any discussions?

2 hours ago, DeeGee said:

I operate the Tornado F3 Mission Simulator fitted with Oculus Rift and P3D.

I've been building scenarios for visitors to fly against, mostly Cold war profiles. I've been recording flights with the add on models and then flying the F3 against the recorded profile. I came across AI Tracker X and thought it worth trying it out to see if I could add formations of intruders simply. It's early days but it seems to do exactly what I need. I've loaded some typical Soviet profiles as flight plans and had a pair of Blackjacks run at the UK from Stavanger in trail formation. Departing from the same airfield it's disconcerting for a "Cold War Warrior" to watch a pair of Tu-160s line up and take off! Once alongside in the air, the target is stable and in formation the resolution is good.

Next steps are to build up a few scerios and record them for future use.

Has anyone tried the program and what are your impressions? Also, there seems little discussion about the program on the forums. Am I missing any discussions?

Hi DeeGee 

I'm doing a similar thing to you. I'm on oculus rift VR too and am building a formation flight using military aircraft and AITrackerX and P3D. It is an amazing app but the interface is not set up well for VR. Please, talk with the developer over at this forum and see if there is something we can do to improve this amazing app for VR use:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/794-lorby-si-payware/

I will help you over at that forum and Oliver the developer is very good with help.

This topic will most likely get moved out of P3D forums.

Cheers

Hi Glider1, Oliver has been helping me out with some tips on how to set up the program. As you say he's hugely supportive.

I've been able to get some basic scenarios going and the Rift copes well. So far I've been able to generate sequential AI targets departing at nominated times and also a formation of AI aircraft flying in close formation. I've only been able to do that by departing from the same airfield so far. Still working on departing from a different airfield to the targets but that's the next challenge.

I'll certainly check out the link thanks.

14 hours ago, DeeGee said:

Hi Glider1, Oliver has been helping me out with some tips on how to set up the program. As you say he's hugely supportive.

I've been able to get some basic scenarios going and the Rift copes well. So far I've been able to generate sequential AI targets departing at nominated times and also a formation of AI aircraft flying in close formation. I've only been able to do that by departing from the same airfield so far. Still working on departing from a different airfield to the targets but that's the next challenge.

I'll certainly check out the link thanks.

It is good fun glad that you got it working for your AI museum exhibit. Should create a lot of interest especially in VR. The problem for me is trying to minimize the jitter and movement of the AI formations in P3D not to spoil the immersion. Any luck with that? The jitter control for binary playbacks works really well and I find the dampening rate for movements of the AI formation helps somewhat. Also dampening down the forward movement of the AI in formation helps. It also helps to minimize the amount of other apps that are plugged into P3D like weather apps etc.

Still not perfect though. I'm in P3Dv3. Is your museum exhibit computer(s) running in 64 bit?

I've taken the plunge and upgraded to P3D V4.1. All a bit daunting as I'd finally got V3 working well but it has to be the way to go.

• Upvote 1

On 26/08/2017 at 11:56 PM, glider1 said:

It is good fun glad that you got it working for your AI museum exhibit. Should create a lot of interest especially in VR. The problem for me is trying to minimize the jitter and movement of the AI formations in P3D not to spoil the immersion. Any luck with that? The jitter control for binary playbacks works really well and I find the dampening rate for movements of the AI formation helps somewhat. Also dampening down the forward movement of the AI in formation helps. It also helps to minimize the amount of other apps that are plugged into P3D like weather apps etc.

Still not perfect though. I'm in P3Dv3. Is your museum exhibit computer(s) running in 64 bit?

Thje only jitter I've experienced is the "dancing" as the wingmen follow the leader to the takeoff point. Once airborne it's been stable and more than acceptable for close formation.

• Upvote 1