Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

New aircraft! TDFi 717 or CJ700/900?

2 hours ago, JYW said:

@Nyxx - Did you own the PMDG MD-11 back in the day?    Because the only significant learning curve for the TFDi is the automated flight modes - being nothing like a Boeing or an Airbus (eg. Profile mode, instead of VNAV or MANAGED CLB).   If you were accustomed to the MD-11, you'll feel very at home in the 717. 

Yer I did have the MD-11 it was my first tube, but no way can I remeber how to use it :laugh:, but good idear to look over the Doc's

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

As things are currently, without the shadow of a doubt, the TFDi 717 is quite ahead in credibility and reliability. Meaning it feels complete and works as intended with very minor issues.

I compared both last weekend and finally purchased the 717, the CRJ while 'ok', has somewhat dated texturing in the VC and can't follow a route with the current release. Crashes still a bit randomly causing frustration, so i can live without it for now.

On a personal note, the 717 VC reminds me of the MD-11, so it's a win-win there :P

• Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I have both planes and have found that each still has some minor issues.  717 is a little ahead of the game although I was having many stutter issues.  It was suggested on their forum to do a complete reinstall which I did.  That took care of most of them and I have put the plane back in my flight pattern.  It is a very nice plane.

The CRJ is a little less stable with different issues arising from time to time. As stated, a new update is coming and I think the CRJ is going to be a very stable plane in the near future.  I have gotten much better performance with the CRJ but of course that varies on different systems.

So it comes down to the small things for me.  A choice in sound, VNAV, better performance, better handling, autopilot etc.  They are apples and oranges apart.  Everyone's flight experience is different.  I prefer to get my flight well on it's way and then do other things for awhile such as mowing the lawn.   The CRJ is much more hands on so it depends on how much time I can really set at the computer.  I think a fix on the speed stability may change that a bit so I can stray away for periods of time but it will always be a hands on plane.  So for me it merely comes down to what kind of flying I want to do.

Both are great planes so now I have to decide every day which to fly along with my all time favorite, the NGX.  I would recommend both of them.  

@Nyxx

Keep this little list of hints for when you first fly the 717 - it'll make life a lot smoother!

• You must press the Autoflight button once engines are started (or during taxi). this arms the autothrottle, ready for TO/GA.
  • TO/GA is then activated simply by moving the throttle forward (I think from memory it activates when N1 reaches 70%).
  • PROF = VNAV
  • NAV = LNAV
  • Pulling the heading knob = Heading select
  • Pushing the heading knob = Heading hold (will only hold current heading).
  • Pulling the altitude knob = FL CH
  • VS ..... there's no VS mode button ..... but simply dialling in a VS activates VS mode.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

15 minutes ago, JYW said:

@Nyxx

Keep this little list of hints for when you first fly the 717 - it'll make life a lot smoother!

• You must press the Autoflight button once engines are started (or during taxi). this arms the autothrottle, ready for TO/GA.
  • TO/GA is then activated simply by moving the throttle forward (I think from memory it activates when N1 reaches 70%).
  • PROF = VNAV
  • NAV = LNAV
  • Pulling the heading knob = Heading select
  • Pushing the heading knob = Heading hold (will only hold current heading).
  • Pulling the altitude knob = FL CH
  • VS ..... there's no VS mode button ..... but simply dialling in a VS activates VS mode.

Thanks Bill

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I have the CRJ and would not recommend it at the moment.  What a mess...my buddy has the 717 and has no where near as many problems as me.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

Bill,

the Boeing 717 Flight Control System which you described is very similar to that of the Fokker 70/100. Programming the FMS is also very similar. Maybe that was one reason why airlines replaced their Fokker fleet with B717s after Fokker went bancrupt and service became difficult. I think the Boeing 717 will attract those who loved the Digital Aviation Fokker 70/100 (which will very unlikely be ported to P3D v4).

Michael

• Upvote 1

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

i own both. i like the 717 more.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

I have the CRJ and would not recommend it at the moment.  What a mess...

that is IMO completely exaggerated. I have completed around 20 flights in the CRJ and a lot of fun. You learn something about good descend planning and staying ahead of your plane. Also it keeps you busy during approach, after memorizing a bunch of thrust settings you can fly it quite exact.

Bit more challenge than just pressing LNAV/VNAV (or NAV/PROF) buttons and just watching.

Also IMO now a few weeks after release the CRJ is in MUCH better state than the 717 at that time. 

I also like the 717 quite a lot, but the CRJ does not deserve  such negative comments. 

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

I have both planes and have found that each still has some minor issues.  717 is a little ahead of the game although I was having many stutter issues.  It was suggested on their forum to do a complete reinstall which I did.  That took care of most of them and I have put the plane back in my flight pattern.  It is a very nice plane.

The CRJ is a little less stable with different issues arising from time to time. As stated, a new update is coming and I think the CRJ is going to be a very stable plane in the near future.  I have gotten much better performance with the CRJ but of course that varies on different systems.

So it comes down to the small things for me.  A choice in sound, VNAV, better performance, better handling, autopilot etc.  They are apples and oranges apart.  Everyone's flight experience is different.  I prefer to get my flight well on it's way and then do other things for awhile such as mowing the lawn.   The CRJ is much more hands on so it depends on how much time I can really set at the computer.  I think a fix on the speed stability may change that a bit so I can stray away for periods of time but it will always be a hands on plane.  So for me it merely comes down to what kind of flying I want to do.

Both are great planes so now I have to decide every day which to fly along with my all time favorite, the NGX.  I would recommend both of them.  

After writing this a flew from KOMA to KMSP.  While attempting to change runways I lost all ability to control the throttle.  Bottom line, they both still have issues.  I have had both good flights and bad flights with each of the planes.  

Bought the 717 loaded it up spend an hour setting up CP, The modeling is second to none. The VC textures are Stunning. Now to turn on some power lol.

• Upvote 1

We'll be pushing out an update for the CRJ in the near future, but overall the aircraft flies extremely well.  I've been flying the CRJ for well over a year and I'm also very experienced with the B717, so with the upcoming CRJ fixes I'll give you my view.

The B717 is a lot more automated that the CRJ, though you'll certainly want to avail yourself of the MD-11 Training Materials mentioned earlier in this thread as the Flight Management System is quite different than anything you'll have experienced unless you're already accustomed to the MD-11.  The B717 also offers Shared Cockpit which works extremely well.

The CRJ is the type of aircraft I fly when I'm looking for a flight that keeps me thinking, on my toes and a lot of interaction with the systems.  There are a lot of pluses on the CRJ as well, specially with the systems as most everything is modeled, and done very, very well including the HUD.  But as already stated, I'd wait for the update to come out.  Shared Cockpit will come to the CRJ in the coming months.

Overall, both aircraft are smaller regional airliners of about the same size and performance, but as alluded to above the system management for both aircraft are miles apart - which is why I enjoy flying them both!

Best wishes.

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I don't have CRJ but if you want to hand fly the 717 is a sweetheart to handled.

Vic green

15 hours ago, Nyxx said:

If you have the TDFi 717 would like to hear your feedback. No sure I need anymore on the CJ but if anyone has both it would be good to hear.

Am all ears :)

Thanks.

Hello,

I do have them both and it would be difficult for me to compare them as one being better.  I love both of them, especially since TFDi has made some recent updates to the 717 that really bring the flying experience up with the best simulations available.

The 717 has a very similar flight deck and systems to the old PMDG MD11 and they are very well modeled.

It is a dream to hand fly and I always turn off the autopilot between 1000 to 500 feet and take over manually to put her on the runway, although it will do a very nice autoland.

Once you learn how to fly the 717, it is one of the most pilot-friendly aircraft that I have managed.

As you know, the CJ does not have auto-throttle, so you must manage the throttle setting.  The 717 has full auto throttle, which makes it easier to fly.

It is hard to compare the two aircraft because they offer two very different experiences.

For instance, to decent with the 717, you put a lower altitude in the autopilot and pull the altitude knob. The auto throttle drifts the throttle levers back to idle automatically and down you go.

With the CJ, you put a lower altitude into the autopilot, then select "Speed".  You will get a notice on the annunciator saying "Descend" and you manually pull back the throttle levers until you are in your descent, then manage them to keep the proper speed.

The two aircraft sims are extremely well made, but just offer a different flying challenge and experience.

My answer is that you should buy them both. :biggrin: