Sign in to follow this  
Flyfox

Question about VC Shadows and AA aircraft

Hi Paul

Let me awake this old thread once more. You described how you enabled the VC shadows on A2As J3 Cub by using the DX10 Fixer toolbox. My problem is that I always have the VC shadows in the Cub except on the panel. Even the panel instruments show perfect shadows (using the DX10 Fixer). My installation is FSX-SE on Windows 10.

When I found this thread I hoped to have the final solution and used the DX10 fixer toolbox as suggested. Unfortunately, it didn't change anything and I still have no shadows on the panel.

I saw a Youtube video showing the A2A Cub running with P3D and the shadows there look great, including those on the panel....

Do you really have the complete shadows in the J3 Cub? If so, howdid you get them work?

Felix

I split this as it had little to do with the old thread which was about enabling vc shadows for the A2A cub not the panel.

The style used for panels in some A2A models unfortunately mean that fsx does not show shadows on the panel.   This is because the panel is alpha blended to create holes for the instruments rather than being a 3D structure with cutouts.  Fsx does not show vc shadows on alpha blended objects as this would cause issues with e.g windows.

The only real fix would be for A2A to alter the model.

In p3d they may have changed the model or the engine itself  may have been changed to handle this more intelligently.

Thanks a lot, Steve, for your excellent explanation! It's not likely that A2A modifies such an old addon, but if they consider an update for P3DV4, they might also use the mods for FSX. Never loose the hope...

Your marvellous DX10 fixer keeps my FSX-SE installation alive, hopefully for another few years! Thanks again!

Felix

I have been experimenting but I don't thing any improvement outside of a model change  is possible. The j3 cub was the first payware aircraft I purchased for fsx so I have an interest myself!