Sign in to follow this  
MrSpeaker

V4 on its own ssd

I have always had fsx on its own dedicated HDD, now that Im finally getting v4 and my first ssd is there any real performance advantage to having v4 on its own ssd, its a 1 tb ssd and the pc is just for flightsim, so its not going to be filling up with a lot of apps and games.

I always keep it on its own SSD off of my system drive.  A 1TB SSD drive I would die for. I use a 256gb for OS drive and 256gb for P3D.

Personally I'd just rather have it separated.  Maybe pickup a small SSD for OS?

I actually bought a separate Windows license and have Windows,FSX/ACC, p3d 2.5 and p3d 4.0 on it's own 500GB ssd.

The reasoning is FSX used to be so sensitive to patches and drivers I wanted to be able to image and restore the partition if necessary. Also, if Call of Duty 45 needed the Nvidia Xplode platform with 4D temporal imaging IN YOUR FACE technology, I could upgrade it without FSX being reduced to 1x1 1 bit depth.

• Upvote 1

Exactly how does having P3D on it's own SSD or HDD (so confusing) work. Do you mean those little portable hard drive devices. I have never thought of using those because I thought everything had to be on the computer. It would be a lot easier if I could use my portable had drive that is also 1TB. My current gaming computer has 4 partitions and it really stinks because I would rather have 2. With 4 partitions my C drive is 80gb and the others are much bigger. Do you install P3D V4 to the portable hard drive and then plug it in when you want to fly? and where do the add ons go? can you keep them all on the computer and then they automatically can be used in P3D V4?. I just bought P3D V4 but have not install all my add ons yet. Thanks for listening.

7 minutes ago, bosflo said:

Exactly how does having P3D on it's own SSD or HDD (so confusing) work. Do you mean those little portable hard drive devices. I have never thought of using those because I thought everything had to be on the computer. It would be a lot easier if I could use my portable had drive that is also 1TB. My current gaming computer has 4 partitions and it really stinks because I would rather have 2. With 4 partitions my C drive is 80gb and the others are much bigger. Do you install P3D V4 to the portable hard drive and then plug it in when you want to fly? and where do the add ons go? can you keep them all on the computer and then they automatically can be used in P3D V4?. I just bought P3D V4 but have not install all my add ons yet. Thanks for listening.

Those "portable hard drives" are still typically mechanical/spinning.  SSD refers to a solid-state drive, which has no moving parts.  Basically, a big memory card.  This allows for EXTREMELY fast data transfer compared to traditional mechanical drives.

2 hours ago, MrSpeaker said:

I have always had fsx on its own dedicated HDD, now that Im finally getting v4 and my first ssd is there any real performance advantage to having v4 on its own ssd, its a 1 tb ssd and the pc is just for flightsim, so its not going to be filling up with a lot of apps and games.

Long story short, install your OS and flight sim onto an SSD.  With the OS alone, you'll see a monumental speed difference.  Mine boots up in seconds (no exaggeration) 

I have run P3Dvxx, alongside with Win10, airports, ActiveSky, Chaseplane, UT@Live, some scenery etc. on a 500gB Samsung EVO Pro, along with a 1TB Samsung EVO Pro with all my photo scenery, some airports etc. for some time now.

Runs perfect.

Cheers,

Mark

1 minute ago, blaird22 said:

1 minute ago, blaird22 said:

Long story short, install your OS and flight sim onto an SSD.  With the OS alone, you'll see a monumental speed difference.  Mine boots up in seconds (no exaggeration) 

Custom built box, Win10 (no bloatware), boot is less than thirty seconds....

Just now, newtie said:

Custom built box, Win10 (no bloatware), boot is less than thirty seconds....

Exactly.  That's what I'm working with.  I reboot my box, leave the room to get a glass of water and it's ready to go by the time I get back.  Unbelievable how fast it boots compared to old-school computers

In addition, do a cursory search and you'll find commentary on how an SSD is not faster than a fast standard HD for loading sim textures; you'll only notice the fast boot. 

I don't say anything, but I'm thinking, you are kidding, right:biggrin:

If this is your first SSD, your primary goal should be to get your OS on to it and then maybe adding the sim. Running your sim off an SSD while the OS is still on a spinning drive is the wrong way to go.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

6 hours ago, MrSpeaker said:

is there any real performance advantage to having v4 on its own ssd, its a 1 tb ssd and the pc is just for flightsim, so its not going to be filling up with a lot of apps and games.

With plenty of room on a 1TB ssd drive, no advantage at all apart from maybe making file house keeping a bit easier.
But then again P3D will want to use the C drive in a two drive system for Add-ons, Program Data and App Data files etc. anyway.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.