Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

I Got an Oculus Rift and Love It

I got the Oculus Rift for the $399 at Best Buy, which included Valkyrie and some other games and I am loving the experience in P3D v4. I have been able to use PTA and nice HDR settings and the view is stunning. The experience of actually sitting in the cockpit of a PMDG aircraft (or other quality aircraft) simply cannot be explained. Getting the engines running and taking off for the first time is breathtaking and flying around with REX, Active Sky, Orbx, and PTA is just something to behold. Literally words cannot describe the experience. I did have a Rift last year on v3 (and FSX), but it just was not good enough, so I returned the the Rift, but for me with v4, it is just great. Hopefully more and more people will have an opportunity to fly actually inside the simulator.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

58 minutes ago, MikeT707 said:

The experience of actually sitting in the cockpit of a PMDG aircraft (or other quality aircraft) simply cannot be explained.

Actually, I think you did a pretty good job my friend!

How is the clarity? I have heard the resolution for manipulating complex cockpit controls is not yet up to scratch....problems with viewing controls, etc..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Interesting to hear you find the experience so much better in native VR in P3Dv4 vs P3Dv3 when most people say they are waiting for FlyInside to be released for P3Dv4 since they are not happy at all with the native VR support in P3Dv4.

Were you using FlyInside when you tried the Rift last time in P3Dv3?

And would you care to share some details about the settings you're using now that you're so happy with the result in P3Dv4?

You mention both HDR and PTA, neither of these supported in P3Dv3 when using FlyInside so maybe that's where the big difference is?

Richard Åsberg

10 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

I got the Oculus Rift for the $399 at Best Buy, which included Valkyrie and some other games and I am loving the experience in P3D v4. I have been able to use PTA and nice HDR settings and the view is stunning. The experience of actually sitting in the cockpit of a PMDG aircraft (or other quality aircraft) simply cannot be explained. Getting the engines running and taking off for the first time is breathtaking and flying around with REX, Active Sky, Orbx, and PTA is just something to behold. Literally words cannot describe the experience. I did have a Rift last year on v3 (and FSX), but it just was not good enough, so I returned the the Rift, but for me with v4, it is just great. Hopefully more and more people will have an opportunity to fly actually inside the simulator.

I use Active Sky  in VR, do you get those spinning clouds as well? It´s amazing if you fly away from clouds, but disturbing if you get close.

8 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

How is the clarity? I have heard the resolution for manipulating complex cockpit controls is not yet up to scratch....problems with viewing controls, etc..

I`ve been flying many hours in VR with oculus pixel density 1.6 -  1.7, and of course is not 4K, but I can read all the gauges, I program my GTN750 inside the flightdeck in VR, and do all the procedures and start cold&dark in VR. And as someone said, I´m not a mutant, and sometimes I have to lean a little to the panels. I don´t use PMDg´s but I tried  the 737 with this configuration and you can read absolutely all the buttons and knobs effortlessly. Again, is not 4K, really but is so good, and so real that you soon forget the resolution. It´s important to use pixel density at 1.6-1.7, at lower resolution it is difficult to read panels and everything, but 1.7 is quite PC demanding. You get the idea.

7 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Interesting to hear you find the experience so much better in native VR in P3Dv4 vs P3Dv3 when most people say they are waiting for FlyInside to be released for P3Dv4 since they are not happy at all with the native VR support in P3Dv4.

Were you using FlyInside when you tried the Rift last time in P3Dv3?

And would you care to share some details about the settings you're using now that you're so happy with the result in P3Dv4?

You mention both HDR and PTA, neither of these supported in P3Dv3 when using FlyInside so maybe that's where the big difference is?

I use native p3dv4 VR support too and I´m really happy with it. Had some problems with Flyinside, that nomatter what resolution I used I had the same low FPS, v4 native lacks some good Flyinside features (like ATC window on VR) but overall I´m quite happy and flying with VR since v4 day one.

If it helps I fly mainly photorealist scenery so I don´t need the sliders to the right, quite the contrary,and I get 30-40 fps with detailed planes like carenados phenom 300, CJ2, both with GTN 750 integrated. But my CPU (i7 4770K at 3.5GHz) is a bottleneck for my GPU (980ti) and get annoying microstutters with those detailed planes. If I use default p3d planes is smooth as silk.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Flyinside was better, but using the OculusTrayTool, I find the experience pretty good with the native VR. And a HUUUGE plus for me: I can switch from 2d + Chaseplane to VR and back on the fly! Therefore, it is possible to plan the flight on 2D and switch to VR for takeoff/climb and descent/landing. For longer flights, this is a must for me. 

• Upvote 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Just got the Rift so how do I get the tray tool?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I cannot even get P3D to work with the Rift. I get the icon in the Apps menu but when I click on Start it shows an error.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

1 hour ago, tgcbraun said:

Flyinside was better, but using the OculusTrayTool, I find the experience pretty good with the native VR. And a HUUUGE plus for me: I can switch from 2d + Chaseplane to VR and back on the fly! Therefore, it is possible to plan the flight on 2D and switch to VR for takeoff/climb and descent/landing. For longer flights, this is a must for me. 

Thanks tgc been asking the same question and glad to know its possible to switch 2d to 3d on the fly . Mine arrives 7th sept or should I say its here just not allowed to play with it . 

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

11 minutes ago, warbirds said:

I cannot even get P3D to work with the Rift. I get the icon in the Apps menu but when I click on Start it shows an error.

If you are using P3D version 3 or 4, they have a native mode. Simply click on the screen and choose virtual cockpit on the dropdown. 

Also:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/virtual_reality/virtual_reality_overview.html

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

P3Dv4 only and I am sure I read where this works with v4.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Just now, warbirds said:

P3Dv4 only and I am sure I read where this works with v4.

Same instructions with Version 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks for the input! 

Sounds promising about your experience in native VR in P3Dv4 so maybe I'll give it a go rather than waiting for FlyInside for P3Dv4.

Might be a bit of a pain though without access to external add-ons such as vPilot when flying online.

Richard Åsberg

Ok all I then get is a black screen.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png