Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

I Got an Oculus Rift and Love It

Thanks much! Your saying that Aerofly2 is the one to get and it does look better in VR than the current version of P3Dv4? 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

51 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Wow, thanks. I was just getting ready to take this back to Best Buy after seeing how dim and fuzzy P3Dv4 looked but after racing in the rain in an open wheel vintage a couple times in Project Cars I just might be hooked,''

Now please tell me what other games (both native vr and other) are worth getting that look as good or better than Project Cars? 

I bought my Oculus Rift from Best Buy and Eve Valkyrie and a couple other games should have been included. I have not yet tried that game, but will in the next couple of weeks. I might have to give Project Cars a try too. Your comments have me interested in it. 

36 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Check your included games and demos! (As for dim and fuzzy, at the risk of being a broken record and fanboi, the sims that show what VR is for right now are Aerofly and Dcs and even War thunder I come from the fuzziness of ESP based sims to the clarity and speed of AF in VR and it's like coming home, with a great, big, sigh.)

Also: Notable mentions

Google earth VR (Must See!)

DCS World (Gateway drug)

UltraWings

Elite Dangerous.

Star Trek, Bridge Crew.

Dirt Rally.

Eve valkyrie (I believe is included, or at least it used to be)

Rapid Fire: A brief History of Flight. (Free)

Henry (Free)

Edge of Nowhere

Dear Angela (Must See!)

Airborne VR 1944

Lone Echo

Nvidia VR Funhouse (free)

A fear of heights (and other things)

Dead and buried

I might have to give DCS and Aerofly a try as well as some of the other games you listed. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

38 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Thanks much! Your saying that Aerofly2 is the one to get and it does look better in VR than the current version of P3Dv4? 

The thing is, P3D has years of extra options, and Aerofly is new(er) and still early access.

That being said, it IS the civilian sim to beat for a VR experience right now, and it's getting better all the time.

The caveats are that being photoscenery, it can require huge amounts of disk space and enormous downloads.

On the other hand, it's smoother in VR than P3D is in 2D...... and you can see right away the difference between a sim modified for VR and a sim designed for VR. 

Like the Oculus itself, it deserves careful exploration before snap judgements are made.

The worse case scenario is that you return it before the 2 hour Steam demo time is up, like J van E did before he tried again and fell in love with it. :laugh:'

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

The thing is, P3D has years of extra options, and Aerofly is new(er) and still early access.

That being said, it IS the civilian sim to beat for a VR experience right now, and it's getting better all the time.

The caveats are that being photoscenery, it can require huge amounts of disk space and enormous downloads.

On the other hand, it's smoother in VR than P3D is in 2D...... and you can see right away the difference between a sim modified for VR and a sim designed for VR. 

Like the Oculus itself, it deserves careful exploration before snap judgements are made.

The worse case scenario is that you return it before the 2 hour Steam demo time is up, like J van E did before he tried again and fell in love with it. :laugh:'

Thanks, but does Aerofly2 look better than P3Dv4 in VR? I have heard that it runs much better.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

7 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

I am looking forward to seeing what FlyInside has to offer for a v4 version. For me, HDR is a must and FlyInside for P3Dv3 did not support HDR although I would imagine the FlyInside for P3Dv4 would have HDR support. When I did use FlyInside last year, it just seemed not quite ready for prime time and I did not want to have a $600 Oculus Rift that I would not use that often so I returned it. The setting that I use in non-city areas Medium for autogen draw, very dense for autogen density, High for LOD, and I do have shadows set for cast and receive for autogen buildings and vegetation as well as internal and external vehicle. At times I do have stereo on and other times I have it off (especially in graphically demanding areas. BTW I am using a gtx 970 with 4g or VRAM and an i74970k overclocked to 4.5.

In regards to PTA, in combination with HDR, the difference is huge for me from a visual standpoint. 

Thanks for the additional info, great to hear how things apparently has improved in regards of VR from P3Dv3 to ver 4.

Richard Åsberg

XP11 with Flyinside is at the same level as Aerofly 2 in VR imho, and the simulator itself, of course, is much better. Give it a try!

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Thanks, and now for a very stupid question - how do you turn this thing off ? It is constantly plugged in to usb slots and always on. I did not get the remote that seems to turn it off with my set so what is the procedure?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

7 hours ago, warbirds said:

Thanks, but does Aerofly2 look better than P3Dv4 in VR? I have heard that it runs much better.

The thing is, it has native VR, nothing else needed, and it runs very very well. 

As a sim, however, it's not nearly as sophisticated yet as either P3D or X-plane, which are both at the end of decades of multiple versions and development.

However, after flying vr in FSX, P3D of various versions and In X-plain using flyinside, I don't think anything else out there currently matches it for ease and fluidity of the vr experience. Ymmv

Trying to help you out last night, I spent quite a while in P3DV4 testing things, and my personal opinion is that at least until a version of Flyinside becomes compatible with that version of P3D, The experience is going to be noticeably subpar without turning your settings down quite a bit.

I've also spent hours in X-plane, and found the situation very similar. You can get acceptable performance but essentially only by turning settings down to a point that I just did not find enjoyable. I would rather Fly the sim in 2D if that is the case.

Are P3D and X-plane superior sims at this time? You betcha! Are they fun in VR? For me, not so much, when I find/found myself constantly tweaking things, trying to get an acceptable experience.

The great thing is that X-plane has a free demo and so does Flyinside! Test them out together and see what you think. If your opinion of the experience is still non-optimal, even after I'm sure tons of people offer assistance, Aerofly will be there, waiting. :emu_melk:

Also, DCS is free, and only requires more purchases if you decide to get deeper into it. The DCS VR experience is much closer to the one in Aerofly, and is a good benchmark to what VR flight can look like in the right sim.

You've just spent $400 to enter the VR universe. Explore!!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm still on P3Dv3 and with FlyInside I find the VR experience really good.

With the mixed reports regarding VR in P3Dv4 I think I'll wait a bit until FlyInside is released for this new version of P3D because even if the performance as well as the IQ would be OK in native VR I still would miss being able to import virtual windows etc I'm sure.

But back to the performance and quality I really can't complain about the experience I have with FlyInside in P3Dv3. I do all my flying in the NGX and I can see most of the things in the v/c without any big issues and for the smallest parts/text I can just lean in a bit or use the zoom function which I think is really convenient.

Richard Åsberg

29 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

I'm still on P3Dv3 and with FlyInside I find the VR experience really good.

With the mixed reports regarding VR in P3Dv4 I think I'll wait a bit until FlyInside is released for this new version of P3D because even if the performance as well as the IQ would be OK in native VR I still would miss being able to import virtual windows etc I'm sure.

But back to the performance and quality I really can't complain about the experience I have with FlyInside in P3Dv3. I do all my flying in the NGX and I can see most of the things in the v/c without any big issues and for the smallest parts/text I can just lean in a bit or use the zoom function which I think is really convenient.

Yeah, when using P3D, I would stick with version 3 and flyinside (if you still have V3 installed)

X-plane and Flyinside is better as well than P3DV4 native.

Devons rig

6 hours ago, warbirds said:

Thanks, and now for a very stupid question - how do you turn this thing off ? It is constantly plugged in to usb slots and always on. I did not get the remote that seems to turn it off with my set so what is the procedure?

You don`t need to turn it off...the displays automatically shuts down when you are not using it. It then goes into stand-by mode. That is how it is intended to work.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

The thing is, it has native VR, nothing else needed, and it runs very very well. 

As a sim, however, it's not nearly as sophisticated yet as either P3D or X-plane, which are both at the end of decades of multiple versions and development.

However, after flying vr in FSX, P3D of various versions and In X-plain using flyinside, I don't think anything else out there currently matches it for ease and fluidity of the vr experience. Ymmv

Trying to help you out last night, I spent quite a while in P3DV4 testing things, and my personal opinion is that at least until a version of Flyinside becomes compatible with that version of P3D, The experience is going to be noticeably subpar without turning your settings down quite a bit.

I've also spent hours in X-plane, and found the situation very similar. You can get acceptable performance but essentially only by turning settings down to a point that I just did not find enjoyable. I would rather Fly the sim in 2D if that is the case.

Are P3D and X-plane superior sims at this time? You betcha! Are they fun in VR? For me, not so much, when I find/found myself constantly tweaking things, trying to get an acceptable experience.

The great thing is that X-plane has a free demo and so does Flyinside! Test them out together and see what you think. If your opinion of the experience is still non-optimal, even after I'm sure tons of people offer assistance, Aerofly will be there, waiting. :emu_melk:

Also, DCS is free, and only requires more purchases if you decide to get deeper into it. The DCS VR experience is much closer to the one in Aerofly, and is a good benchmark to what VR flight can look like in the right sim.

You've just spent $400 to enter the VR universe. Explore!!

Well, our configuration is quite similar (your CPU is a bit better, even), and I get great performance with VR in X-Plane 11. I have virtually every hardcore simulator installed, including DCS and there is nothing that beats an afternoon approach in X-Plane. It is really something all simmers need to experience...

Of course, you do need to install and configure Flyinside, but once you do it, there is no constant tweaking like you still need to do in P3Dv4 at this point.

4 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

You don`t need to turn it off...the displays automatically shuts down when you are not using it. It then goes into stand-by mode. That is how it is intended to work.

A caveat: Yes the display shuts down automatically, and there is always a trickle-current as the headset checks to see that it's not being worn, but the headset will never shut down totally unless you completely close oculus home.

You will notice that even when shut down, the headset stays quite warm unless Oculus home is closed.

Devons rig

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

A caveat: Yes the display shuts down automatically, and there is always a trickle-current as the headset checks to see that it's not being worn, but the headset will never shut down totally unless you completely close oculus home.

You will notice that even when shut down, the headset stays quite warm unless Oculus home is closed.

Yes, but that is expected. My Rift is more than an year old and I never turned it off. Too much of a hassle. 

6 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

Yes, but that is expected. My Rift is more than an year old and I never turned it off. Too much of a hassle. 

To be expected by an experienced user, maybe, But warbirds is less than a week into all of this. I'm working on the assumption at this point that he knows essentially nothing, and that even the basics should be gone over.

I prefer myself to take the simple extra step of closing Oculus home rather than having a toasty headset laying around. I have no idea exactly what it's doing that keeps it warm when home is open (even when the screen is black) but I presume headset life is likely being reduced by it.

Devons rig