Sign in to follow this  
ralinn

TERRA FLORA Approaching

On 26/08/2017 at 10:11 AM, luke97 said:

I think the important question is missed. Does this product will replace the speedtree autogen lime green horrible trees from P3Dv4 autogen ???

Tnx.

Hi Trix,

If you don't like the spreedtree trees from P3D v4, I definitely recommend that you disable them. Once disabled, they will be replaced with Terra Flora trees once installed.

Thanks,

Russ

logo.png

Russell Linn

Art Director

Turbulent Designs

One thing I've been wondering. With other products, you sometime see this white outline around the trees, especially when they have the sky behind them. Is that still present with Terra Flora, as in it's an inherent problem with how the ESP platform renders these transparent objects or is that a thing of the past with your product?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

What I also forgot to ask: in all screenshots so far it is not clearly visible what shadow options were used. I wonder if selecting "cast and receive" shadows will have a more prominent performance impact compared to ORBX HD Trees or even default trees? Currently I use both cast and receive shadows for trees (immersion is increased like this), but already in NZ from ORBX this is really hard on the performance due to the fact that there are so many trees (density seems to be higher compared to other regions).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

On 29/08/2017 at 10:33 AM, Sethos1988 said:

One thing I've been wondering. With other products, you sometime see this white outline around the trees, especially when they have the sky behind them. Is that still present with Terra Flora, as in it's an inherent problem with how the ESP platform renders these transparent objects or is that a thing of the past with your product?

Although I've not experienced this myself yet, I can't guarantee that this won't happen somewhere as it's more dependant on how the engine handles alphas when it comes to autogen.

23 hours ago, AnkH said:

What I also forgot to ask: in all screenshots so far it is not clearly visible what shadow options were used. I wonder if selecting "cast and receive" shadows will have a more prominent performance impact compared to ORBX HD Trees or even default trees? Currently I use both cast and receive shadows for trees (immersion is increased like this), but already in NZ from ORBX this is really hard on the performance due to the fact that there are so many trees (density seems to be higher compared to other regions).

If you run a fair test, the performance impact when casting/receiving shadows will likely be better than default, as the models are more optimised. Regarding ORBX HD Trees, there's no reason why the performance should be any different.

When it comes to performance impact and shadows, it all comes down to the area you are flying. As you know, some areas are more dense than others and some developers handle their annotation differently to other developers. Some like it sparse, some like it dense, etc.

Thanks,
Russ

• Upvote 1

logo.png

Russell Linn

Art Director

Turbulent Designs

On 8/29/2017 at 4:07 AM, ralinn said:

Hi Trix,

If you don't like the spreedtree trees from P3D v4, I definitely recommend that you disable them. Once disabled, they will be replaced with Terra Flora trees once installed.

Thanks,

Russ

Will there be instructions in the download explaining how to do this as I find the speed trees unrealistic as well?

RE Thomason Jr.

28 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Will there be instructions in the download explaining how to do this as I find the speed trees unrealistic as well?

FeLy08y.jpg

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

The description says that TerraFlora is a replacement for ALL autogen, but the pictures only seem to show trees and vegetation. Does it also replace the autogen buildings?

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

5 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

FeLy08y.jpg

Roger!

RE Thomason Jr.

How does Terra Flora display Australian trees especially eucalypts which have a very different appearance from Northern hemisphere trees? Orbx trees does this quite well and so they should being an Aussie organisation.

Brucen

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Also will the Terra Flora trees work in the Orbx full-fat regions?

On 8/30/2017 at 10:57 PM, b1bmsgt said:

The description says that TerraFlora is a replacement for ALL autogen, but the pictures only seem to show trees and vegetation. Does it also replace the autogen buildings?

Russ

Yes, just vegetation

On 8/31/2017 at 4:04 AM, brucewtb said:

How does Terra Flora display Australian trees especially eucalypts which have a very different appearance from Northern hemisphere trees? Orbx trees does this quite well and so they should being an Aussie organisation.

Brucen

This is a replacement for default vegetation autogen. So if default displays them differently, so will Terra Flora :)

15 hours ago, gregda said:

Also will the Terra Flora trees work in the Orbx full-fat regions?

Absolutely.

Thanks,

Russ

logo.png

Russell Linn

Art Director

Turbulent Designs

15 hours ago, ralinn said:

Yes, just vegetation

This is a replacement for default vegetation autogen. So if default displays them differently, so will Terra Flora :)

Absolutely.

Thanks,

Russ

OK so no good for Australia. Disappointing but at least I know thank you.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On 2017-08-29 at 11:33 AM, Sethos1988 said:

Now that the product has been out for a while, has anybody tested this?
This is my only real issue with the FTX Trees. It happens with the default trees too, but it's less noticeable due to the lower resolution of the trees.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, obviously with the camera positioned to emphasize the effect:

https://imgur.com/a/syi0d

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Well so I took the plunge and bought it.

The "ghosting" is indeed much less noticeable. It's not completely eliminated:

https://imgur.com/a/HpwO6

However it's more subtle and "smoothed" than the hard, blue, flickering outline of the FTX trees, and it doesn't seem to happen nearly as often (I really had to slew around to find a position where it was noticeable).

The trees seem to make much better use of mipmapping so there's less flickering/shimmering overall. Aesthetically, the trees appear to be designed to stand out from the terrain more, where as the FTX trees are designed to blend in. I prefer the FTX Trees aesthetic, but I'll stick with Terra Flora for the smoother, less "chaotic" appearance.  It comes to personal preferences, but especially if you have a slower system and can't use SSAA or SGSSAA, I'd recommend Terra Flora due to the smoother mipmapping.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP