Sign in to follow this  

Looking for 'study' plane: NGX still the best?

Ok, so I have been out of the P3D loop for almost a year and now I am back with P3D v4. Unfortunately my beloved Aerosoft Airbus won't work with v4 so I am looking for a new 'study' airliner (mainly for shorter flights). I thought about PMDG's NGX but I have the feeling it is too old: outdated VC graphics and so on. I flew that plane back in 2012 but I am not sure if Iam willing to rebuy it. Unfortunately all other well known study planes are way too expensive (777, Airbus). 

So... what is THE study plane to have right now that won't cost a fortune but that is still complete? Or aren't there any? I like glass more than old gauges btw.

Hi J,

Welcome back old friend.

"beloved Aerosoft Airbus" does not tie in with "THE study plane" It's not even on any "Study" level. 

OK move on...

The NG is still a top class addon. I still fly it every week. The VC mainly still looks fine. Its Fantastic even now. The problem you have is that you get what you pay, sorry, I bought the TDFi 717 and that was £47 last night so that is all I could recommend for cheap!

If you wait around a month (only my thought) The FSL a320 will be out. It ends there, you love the Bus then you will not believe the level its at. All i fly is PMDG NG 777 747 (777 747 very little) and the FSL A320 (until last night ofc)

Nothing, nothing come close to FSL A320. 

When the v4 versions come out it will have a lot of updates full 4096 res VC and a new 64 sound engine just for P3d v4. If you want one aircraft to use and learn then the v4 FSL is worth every penny.

Join Ezy V for lots of Euro flight paths or even join BA to take what you do to a new level.

So, If i could only have 1 aircraft in my hanger it would be the FSL A320, just buy it J. Just do it. 

There is a IRL pilot that has done a huge amount of youtube vid's on the FSL A320 showing everything.

Look him up and watch. Name is Blackbox 711 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe9fggL9PwEqSyMDrlLubVw/videos watch all of them and dont let anyone put you off this aircraft.

You know how picky I can be and I have over 200 hours logged in it. I love it. Sending £50 on something else is just wasting £50 towards the FSL :huh: Hopefully we will see there A319 later this year......yes please :biggrin:

With Ezy my fav route is Naples to Corfu, both addon airports ofc. Corfu imo is the single best addon for P3D. I wont goto v4 until FSL is out that's how much I "need" it.

Welcome Back mate :biggrin:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

The PMDG NGX is as close as it to the real thing IMHO.  The question is do you like it enough as a plane to study :laugh:.  PMDG simulates down to the quirks of the real plane, so it's as real as it gets.  The VC rendering is top notch, but as it is in the real plane it does not look like an Airbus, which was designed after the 737 and is all modern.  You know already that it's a mix of old and new.  Some like it, some don't.  If you like Airbus, sounds like the FSL A320 is the one to get.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

22 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Nothing, nothing come close to FSL A320. 

Agreed! I'm constantly amazing by the amount of depth and detail, which went into this simulation and model.

I can't help but but wonder, why Aerosoft keeps claiming, that the Aerosoft Airbus is a better model - and keep downing the FSLabs by saying that is simulates and old system, which no one uses etc etc... I have given up trying to argue with them... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

You cannot even have the FO side set up differently, WX Captain side Terr FO side, how basic is that lol, imo it's what they say when pushed....it's targeted at a different level simmer. Each to there own. I don't want to put it down because it is what it is, but "Study level" no we're close. As for them trying to put down the FSL version, now that is a joke. Jealous for a start. 

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Ok, so I have been out of the P3D loop for almost a year and now I am back with P3D v4. Unfortunately my beloved Aerosoft Airbus won't work with v4 so I am looking for a new 'study' airliner (mainly for shorter flights). I thought about PMDG's NGX but I have the feeling it is too old: outdated VC graphics and so on. I flew that plane back in 2012 but I am not sure if Iam willing to rebuy it. Unfortunately all other well known study planes are way too expensive (777, Airbus). 

So... what is THE study plane to have right now that won't cost a fortune but that is still complete? Or aren't there any? I like glass more than old gauges btw.

The NGX is still the good old go to for me but the VC graphics are showing a little age compared to the 777 and the new 747.  Though not as in depth system modeling as the NGX the TFDI 717 is worth a look.  Just be aware it is still in the beta phase. 

Matt Wilson

The Flight Sim Labs Airbus A320 is absolutely without question the most complex study sim aeroplane you can get for any ESP-based flight sim, but it won't be out for V4 for a while. When it is though, it will be the pinnacle of anything you can get for V4. I worked on producing the real A320's manuals, for the real aeroplane, and so I know that is the case. I would say that a close second would be the Majestic Bombardier Q400 (Dash 8) Pro Edition because that does simulate pretty much everything on the real aeroplane including stuff which pilots wouldn't normally touch, such as all the circuit breakers (it's not the only flight sim aeroplane ever to have done that, but it certainly is among the most complete efforts at doing so), but that too is not out for P3D V4. So unless you are Prepar3d to wait lol, they are both currently out of the running, but the wait will be worth it.

Thus at the moment, for things which you can get in V4 right now, it is probably a toss up between any of the more recent PMDG efforts, such as their redone Boeing 737 NG or the Boeing 747-400 (both of which are excellent, with the 747-400 being particularly good value considering all the variants you get with it, including the 400D, which suits your criteria because that's the high density seating short range version). Or for a bit less of a cash outlay, since those PMDG birds are both pretty pricey for P3D, the iFly versions of the same two aeroplanes, since there are still some functions of the PMDG ones which the iFly ones do better. As with PMDG's 747, with iFly's NG, you do get pretty much every 737 NG variant there is, so that too is very good value, particularly since you get a discount buying it for P3D if you had it for FSX, which takes its price down to about 25 quid. You don't get a collimated HUD in the iFly NG though, it's there, just not collimated in the sim, which of course you do in the PMDG one, so if you use Track-IR you might consider that an important feature. Be aware that the textures in the iFly ones are not as good as those in the PMDG ones though, they are okay, but not as good.

More off the wall contenders if you prefer something a bit older would be some of A2A's older airliner types (Lockheed Constellation and Boeing Stratocruiser), which are every bit as good if not better than anything any developer has done. PMDG's Douglas DC-6 does do a good job of things to be sure, but I think A2A seem to have a better handle on how they approach simulating older multi-crew aeroplanes when they include things such as their Captain of the Ship functionality in lieu of having a real flight engineer, second pilot and navigator to help you. An outside shot in the same vein would be the Flight Replicas North Star/Argonaut. Not as complex a simulation as the others, but if you like old banger airliners which work in P3D V4 and which will shake your speakers to pieces with their engine noise, it's worth considering since it is inexpensive compared to the A2A and PMDG ones. Note that for all of these, you can sort of add all those other crew members to assist you if you use Multi Crew Experience, which is now P3D V4 compatible, which is worth having if you fly a lot of sim aeroplanes with two crew members.

If you are prepared to live with something a bit smaller and don't want to spend a lot, the Fly Sim Ware Learjet 35A is a very inexpensive jet aircraft add-on and is now P3D V4 compatible. Granted it is not an airliner (only has seating for six passengers), but for short hops (yup, Learjets have always had fairly limited range) it is a very detailed simulation of the real thing. As far as the VC goes, and indeed the exterior texturing, there are prettier things out there, but it has the detail where it really matters, i.e. in the simulation of the systems and in any case, loads of people have done repaints for it.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Without hesitation go for the Ngx or the FsLabs...and better if you can, go now for the Ngx and later for the Fslabs A320  when it comes out, you will have the best of both "worlds".

7 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

As for them trying to put down the FSL version, now that is a joke. Jealous for a start. 

Agree, it's comical and pathetic to say the least...

Regards,

• Upvote 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

PMDG 737 NGX, if you love Boeings like I do. It is a very lovely aircraft, with an amazing amount of detail. Together with FS2Crew Reboot, it is one great aircraft.

If you want to know, what THE studylevel aircraft is, you guess it. It is the FSL A320. There is nothing even close to this one. It starts with the amazing sound of this bird, actually loading the aircraft with GSX integration and all the systems work like they should. Don't get me wrong, PMDG is awesome, but FSL sets a new level of realism in the sim.

It is very expensive, but worth every little cent.

• Upvote 1

Philipp Schwaegerl

The graphical quality of the 737NGX VC is excellent. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be flying the plane.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for all the tips so far! As I said I own the NGX for FSX and I am in doubt if I want to buy it again. First of all because I already know it and it feels a bit like a waste of money to buy the same plane again and it looks a bit old (graphics), but secondly because I do think I am more of an Airbus guy: there was a reason that I switched from the NGX to the Aerosoft Airbus. :happy: (Yes, even though that one isn't a study plane LOL) So I suppose that THE plane to get for me would be the FSLabs Airbus. But well, that price... my goodness..!!! And it isn't compatible yet. So I could buy another plane for the time being but it feels a bit like a waste of money to buy another plane right now and then spend even more money on that Airbus anyway later on. Even the Flysimware Learjet 35A feels a bit too expensive in that case (and specially if the graphics aren't top notch: I do like my eye candy).

Hm, well... maybe I should save my money for that Airbus after all... unless someone else comes up with a good idea. For now I have my A2A GA to keep me entertained.

4 minutes ago, J van E said:

Thanks for all the tips so far! As I said I own the NGX for FSX and I am in doubt if I want to buy it again. First of all because I already know it and it feels a bit like a waste of money to buy the same plane again and it looks a bit old (graphics), but secondly because I do think I am more of an Airbus guy: there was a reason that I switched from the NGX to the Aerosoft Airbus. :happy: (Yes, even though that one isn't a study plane LOL) So I suppose that THE plane to get for me would be the FSLabs Airbus. But well, that price... my goodness..!!! And it isn't compatible yet. So I could buy another plane for the time being but it feels a bit like a waste of money to buy another plane right now and then spend even more money on that Airbus anyway later on. Even the Flysimware Learjet 35A feels a bit too expensive in that case (and specially if the graphics aren't top notch: I do like my eye candy).

Hm, well... maybe I should save my money for that Airbus after all... unless someone else comes up with a good idea. For now I have my A2A GA to keep me entertained.

If you don't want the 737 NGX in P3D v4, so wait for the FSL A320. It will be worth the money, believe me. For now, save your money. In P3D v4 will enjoy it even more. 

But you have to wait for P3D v4.1. FSL will not release the A320 prior to 4.1.

(btw, if you break down the price to one year, it will be  ~11,66 per month you spent on this aircraft, mabye this sounds better to you)

Philipp Schwaegerl

4 minutes ago, Zuendholz said:

If you don't want the 737 NGX in P3D v4, so wait for the FSL A320. It will be worth the money, believe me. For now, save your money. In P3D v4 will enjoy it even more. 

But you have to wait for P3D v4.1. FSL will not release the A320 prior to 4.1.

(btw, if you break down the price to one year, it will be  ~11,66 per month you spent on this aircraft, mabye this sounds better to you)

Ok, I think this is the way to go indeed. And yes LOL 11,66 a month doesn't sound too bad. :happy: Not prior to 4.1 doesn't sound too good though: first of all we have to wait for 4.1 and then FSLabs will probably have to do some more work to get it compatible. Hm...

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Look him up and watch. Name is Blackbox 711 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe9fggL9PwEqSyMDrlLubVw/videos watch all of them and dont let anyone put you off this aircraft.

I had a look at some video's: system wise it looks totally awesome but er... is it me or do the graphics look a bit er... how do I put it... it clearly looks like a model in a PC and not as realistic as some other planes do. It doesn't look too 'photoreal'. A bit flat. But maybe that's done to save resources for more important systems?

7 minutes ago, J van E said:

Ok, I think this is the way to go indeed. And yes LOL 11,66 a month doesn't sound too bad. :happy: Not prior to 4.1 doesn't sound too good though: first of all we have to wait for 4.1 and then FSLabs will probably have to do some more work to get it compatible. Hm...

[...]

I had a look at some video's: system wise it looks totally awesome but er... is it me or do the graphics look a bit er... how do I put it... it clearly looks like a model in a PC and not as realistic as some other planes do. It doesn't look too 'photoreal'. A bit flat. But maybe that's done to save resources for more important systems?

The textures will be redone for P3D v4 with a whole new look in the cockpit. Even in P3D v3 I had the impression that FSL A320 looks far more real compared to the real A320 as the AS A320 does. But maybe it is just a matter of taste. However, I am wondering, how the new textures for P3D v4 will look like.

As far as I understood, the developer from FSL already work with the P3D files from P3D v4.1. They work together with Lockheed Martin. As they are in a early beta stage, I don't think we will wait for too long now. Both P3D v4.1 and FSL A320.

Philipp Schwaegerl

The textures for the FSL A320 for FSX come with a bunch of options when you install it, with several resolutions available to choose from. This was done because of FSX's VAS limitations since the FSL A320 is very complex indeed and is the sort of add-on where people would also be running fancy add-on airports and other stuff in FSX, so it was a wise move, but in P3D you won't have to worry about that. Actually, even in FSX, if you can get away with it by not having a lot of other stuff running, the high resolution textures are very good indeed with all of the stencilling on the real aeroplane depicted very clearly etc, it's just that many people choose not to use them because of the VAS limitation, so you see a lot of youtube vids of the FSL A320 which don't really do it justice. It really is the best FS airliner ever done, in every respect, you absolutely could drive the real thing if you can drive that one.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here