Can someone walk me through how to get ASCA working along with Rex?  I'm not sure if it is possible but thought I'd check.  THanks

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

You want to use ASCA's clouds and REX for everything else?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

11 minutes ago, captain420 said:

You want to use ASCA's clouds and REX for everything else?

YEP

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Go to ASCA settings and UNCHECK Sky Colors, save and Apply.  Now install any and ALL REX textures you want to use, then start your sim. Keep in mind if you do this, the SKY colors will NOT change from your REX skies, no matter what clouds ASCA is displaying.  Personally I would never do this because you lose the ability to display sky colors based on current weather conditions. You may want to consider installing all REX textures EXCEPT sky and cloud textures, then keep all options checked in ASCA settings and you are good to go.

• Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:48 PM, vcarlo said:

Go to ASCA settings and UNCHECK Sky Colors, save and Apply.  Now install any and ALL REX textures you want to use, then start your sim. Keep in mind if you do this, the SKY colors will NOT change from your REX skies, no matter what clouds ASCA is displaying.  Personally I would never do this because you lose the ability to display sky colors based on current weather conditions. You may want to consider installing all REX textures EXCEPT sky and cloud textures, then keep all options checked in ASCA settings and you are good to go.

So right now I have AS installed and Rex Textures Enhanced with Soft Clouds.  I got the installer today for ASCA.  Do I simply install ASCA and that should overwrite the rex clouds?  Then, I go into ASCA and disable sky textures or any other feature that I want to use ASCA for?  Then, when changing a rex texture for example, just change the ones that I want that won't change the ASCA clouds?

Since you have AS & REX installed:

1) Run ASCA but do NOT apply the settings yet

2) configure the Clouds and Sky sets etc in ASCA - be sure to UNCHECK anything you want REX to manage

3) APPLY the ASCA settings - this will load them into P3D overwriting the SELECTED items.

4) start REX - do NOT apply any settings - configure REX the way you want excluding those items you want ASCA to manage

5) Apply REX - this will apply the selected REX textures and keep the selected ASCA textures

During flight, ASCA will update the SELECTED items ( Clouds and Sky) as you go but will not affect any REX textures.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, Zimmerbz said:

So right now I have AS installed and Rex Textures Enhanced with Soft Clouds.  I got the installer today for ASCA.  Do I simply install ASCA and that should overwrite the rex clouds?  Then, I go into ASCA and disable sky textures or any other feature that I want to use ASCA for?  Then, when changing a rex texture for example, just change the ones that I want that won't change the ASCA clouds?

It's this simple. In the ASCA settings there are 4 boxes (Sky Colors, Cloud Textures, Cirrus, Cloud Structures).  Each one is  ENABLED with a CHECK. If all 4 are checked,  ASCA will dynamically change them as long as you are running "FULL DYNAMICS" or GLOBAL AUTOMATIC" themes.  If you choose a different theme ASCA inserts the checked textures associated with that THEME.  If any or all of the settings are UNCHECKED, ASCA will NOT change them at all. 

So if you want to see REX clouds and sky textures, UNCHECK Cloud Textures and Sky Colors in settings and ASCA will only display the last set of cloud and sky textures you have installed. Of course, if this is what you want to do, then you don't need ASCA at all.

Just remember >>>> ASCA was developed to change ASCA clouds and sky colors ONLY !!!!  The developers are not interested in changing another 3rd party's textures ! 

WAT1460.png

2 hours ago, vcarlo said:

It's this simple. In the ASCA settings there are 4 boxes (Sky Colors, Cloud Textures, Cirrus, Cloud Structures).  Each one is  ENABLED with a CHECK. If all 4 are checked,  ASCA will dynamically change them as long as you are running "FULL DYNAMICS" or GLOBAL AUTOMATIC" themes.  If you choose a different theme ASCA inserts the checked textures associated with that THEME.  If any or all of the settings are UNCHECKED, ASCA will NOT change them at all. 

So if you want to see REX clouds and sky textures, UNCHECK Cloud Textures and Sky Colors in settings and ASCA will only display the last set of cloud and sky textures you have installed. Of course, if this is what you want to do, then you don't need ASCA at all.

Just remember >>>> ASCA was developed to change ASCA clouds and sky colors ONLY !!!!  The developers are not interested in changing another 3rd party's textures ! 

Ultimately I wanted to use the AS weather engine for weather, ASCA for clouds, and Rex for everything else.  I was under the impression that ASCA had more realistic looking clouds. 

5 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Ultimately I wanted to use the AS weather engine for weather, ASCA for clouds, and Rex for everything else.  I was under the impression that ASCA had more realistic looking clouds. 

That depends on who you're talking to. Very simple to make your own decision. Try them both and see which YOU like better. The only other factor is that you can only get dynamic weather changes in sim using ASCA with ASCA (or ENVTEX) clouds.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Cool.  I plan on giving it a whirl tonight

On 8/29/2017 at 1:56 PM, vgbaron said:

That depends on who you're talking to. Very simple to make your own decision. Try them both and see which YOU like better. The only other factor is that you can only get dynamic weather changes in sim using ASCA with ASCA (or ENVTEX) clouds.

Vic

I finally got ASCA installed but I'm not seeing much difference if any to the Rex clouds.  How can I confirm which cloud textures are being used once in the sim?

P3D should not be running.

1) install REX - be sure to select their clouds and skies in addition to the airport textures, etc. Select a theme or individual clouds. exit

2) Start ASCA and go into settings - uncheck clouds and skies - close ASCA.

Now when you run P3D and have ASP4 and ASCA running - you will be seeing REX clouds and skies.

exit P3D - do nothing, at this point with REX - 

3)Run ASCA - go into settings and ENABLE Clouds and skies - select a theme or dynamic/global and install. exit

Run P3D, ASP4 and ASCA - you will now be seeing ASCA clouds and skies.

In order to see REX clouds again you need to rerun steps 1& 2.

That should give you enough of a comparison to decide what you want to do. The thing is, other than taking your time, there's nothing wrong in switching back and forth if you find you have a favorite for a specific area or weather type.

Vic