Sign in to follow this  
FlightSim1234

Adding gagues automatically

Does anyone know of a program that can add gagues to all aircraft panels automatically - I want it to;

1. Add a new window to [Windows Titles] section
  2. Add a new [Window XX] section - with the details of the gague

If there isn't a program, does anyone have a .BAT file or similar that can carry out this task?

FS Panel Studio.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

18 hours ago, Jim Young said:

FS Panel Studio.

Best regards,

Jim

Thank you very much - to be honest though, I was looking for something freeware - I could add the gagues to all of my panels manually, but it would take a lot of time, so I was just looking for a faster way. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I would have thought there would be some kind of BAT command that could be used to carry out this, but I haven't found anything online yet.

If you've never made batch files before, stay away. It's a whole lot of work (we're speaking a dozen work-hours or more) to make one smart enough to know where to add the new window, let alone do this recursively for all airplanes in a given folder.

And since every panel.cfg is different, deriving a general rule for a "find and replace" tool such as FNR to follow is nigh impossible.

So the best course of action is to simply add the entriy before you go fly a particular aircraft.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

32 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

If you've never made batch files before, stay away. It's a whole lot of work (we're speaking a dozen work-hours or more) to make one smart enough to know where to add the new window, let alone do this recursively for all airplanes in a given folder.

And since every panel.cfg is different, deriving a general rule for a "find and replace" tool such as FNR to follow is nigh impossible.

So the best course of action is to simply add the entriy before you go fly a particular aircraft.

I have used batch files for simple things, such as globally editing things in the aircraft.cfg files, adding gagues to all panels (this works fine when the gagues are just sound outputs, such as GPWS, as these dont need a new window, so I can just use a .BAT script to add a new line to each panel.cfg) and so on.

However, as you say, it is very dificult to make it work for something as complex as adding a new window, and adding gagues to that window - I was just wondering whether anyone had needed to do this and taken the time to make a .BAT file, and whether they would be willing to share this BAT script with us, or whether there is a program that does a similar thing.

Thank you very much for the advice.

I agree with Bjoern.  The making of that batch file would be a major project.  Once the Window.XX

file is created for 1 plane, it should be a simple matter to add it to any other aircraft you wish.  Most

popups can be easily resized if they need to be once they are displayed in the cockpit.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

I agree with Bjoern.  The making of that batch file would be a major project.  Once the Window.XX

file is created for 1 plane, it should be a simple matter to add it to any other aircraft you wish.  Most

popups can be easily resized if they need to be once they are displayed in the cockpit.

You are totally right - I could add them all manually much quicker than making a batch file, I just wondered whether anyone had needed to make such a file, if for example they were adding a large number of gauges at once. Judging by the responses, I guess there isn't such a file/program to do this, so I will just have to motivate myself to doing it all manually.

My MI Tool features a batch file installer which reads the additional panel.cfg entries from a text file and adds them as the last window in the 2D panel list. However, the script only works for one panel.cfg at a time.

I could post the code for you to dig through and see if it's of any use to you, as long as you don't pester me with questions about it and, if successful, post your resulting batch file.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days