Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Haze

There is rather a lot of it in P3D and no matter what PTA preset is selected you are stuck with it - the whole world looks like it is afflicted with bad smog.  I live on the coast and the air is very clear with crisp visibility all the way to the horizon and I would like to be able to have this in P3D but no matter what setting there is always this haze.  Have I missed something here is there some setting that so far has escaped me?  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

What weather program are you using?

'Haze' is visibility.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, brucewtb said:

There is rather a lot of it in P3D and no matter what PTA preset is selected you are stuck with it - the whole world looks like it is afflicted with bad smog.  I live on the coast and the air is very clear with crisp visibility all the way to the horizon and I would like to be able to have this in P3D but no matter what setting there is always this haze.  Have I missed something here is there some setting that so far has escaped me?  Thanks.

Bruceb

Do u have volumetric fog enabled in the options menu?  I find when using ASP4 if this box is NOT checked I get a very excessive haze.  Weather addons used?

Matt Wilson

Are you using things like Envtex and/or PTA. These can affect haze also.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You need to have Vol Fog on in P3d or you get a milky haze at all altitudes. I don't know if it is a bug , but I posted this issue in this forum and the P3d forum. Maybe it might get fixed in v4.1?

Unlike FSX and P3d V3, V4 is a hazy mess if you don't have PTA and AS4. You cannot increase visibility past 50miles.

To get a realistic sky and atmosphere, I used the following settings:

1.PTA - enable Sky Fog Tuning=0.01
2AS4- Maximum surface visibility =134  Maximum upper visibility 135
3.Low altitude Vol fog setting (-15)     High altitude Vol Fog setting( -15)

You can adjust #2 and #3 a bit here and there. Looks great at least for me

14 hours ago, planechaser said:

Unlike FSX and P3d V3, V4 is a hazy mess if you don't have PTA and AS4. You cannot increase visibility past 50miles

Thank you this has certainly been my impression but enabling volumetric fog greatly reduces the haze.  This is a big improvement -  clear skies and unlimited visibility now looks very close to real life but is there a performance penalty?  I will play around with your other suggestions.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I'm using AS4, PTA and have enabled volumetric fog. I'm still still seeing crazy haze, especially apparent at high altitudes, even though I set 199 nm as the upper visibility limit in AS4. Anything I'm missing here?

James

@honanhal Did you have a look at the PTA setting for Haze mentioned above? You can change the value and have a look what it does for you. I also changed this value and I am very happy with the result.

On 8/29/2017 at 1:33 AM, swiesma said:

@honanhal Did you have a look at the PTA setting for Haze mentioned above? You can change the value and have a look what it does for you. I also changed this value and I am very happy with the result.

Thanks, Stefan. Of course it did turn out that the Thopat preset I'd installed had cranked the haze setting way up (interestingly, changing the "density" setting made a much bigger difference than the "power" setting). I dialed it back and now it's much, much better. Thanks for the help!

James

Ok, something has changed in my P3D v4 and I'm back to this crazy haze. Every fog/Rayleigh/etc. setting in PTA is cranked down to the minimum. Visibility is maximum, I'm using the clear weather preset which has unlimited visibility. ASN is not even open. Why are mountains in the middle distance still shrouded in haze??? Really appreciate any help as this is driving me crazy!

James

2 hours ago, honanhal said:

Ok, something has changed in my P3D v4 and I'm back to this crazy haze. Every fog/Rayleigh/etc. setting in PTA is cranked down to the minimum. Visibility is maximum, I'm using the clear weather preset which has unlimited visibility. ASN is not even open. Why are mountains in the middle distance still shrouded in haze??? Really appreciate any help as this is driving me crazy!

James

I agree something has changed with v4.  Looked way better in v3.  When flying high in airline flights the distant mountains look like some weird non textured white back ground.

Matt Wilson