Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Train Sim World: Great Western Express - First Look

I am/was also slightly interested but well... the length of the route isn't much. In the video they have around 230 'scenario's' for one train but well, yeah, you will driving parts of the same route over and over again. They act as if there is a lot of content but there isn't, really. I also can't say I liked the apparently massively overhauled passenger system: they all look like depressed zombies and there only are a few models: at one moment there was a scene where you'd sit in the train (the passenger mode is nice btw) and I saw the same guy walk by three times in a row. That was a total immersion killer. It's also very odd to see just a few people in a huge station where you'd expect hundreds of people. And the way the moved... seriously. I also saw a guy dancing and spawning on the spot. Totally odd. Looked like game from 2007.

But well, then again... this might be nice to do a little hop as a driver once a week or so. Seeing the scenery pass by which is, I presume, lifelikfe for the entire route (?). Haven't checked out any prices though.

EDIT Oh, bummer, you need Heavy Haul in order to run this. I thought it was a stand alone package. I think I am out then. Maybe with a christmas sale.

Forty miles of track is nowhere near enough. I don't care how many "scenarios" there are.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Indeed. Given that an emergency stop from 125mph  is about 1.5 miles (quick & dirty google) That leaves 38.5 miles. How much distance is taken to get the train to 125 given maximum acceleration and no wheel slip I wonder? 2 miles 3 miles. I would hazard a guess that the train can decelerate quicker than it can accelerate... So 35 miles of express track..?  I know that's taking it to an extreme -  40 miles would be a good amount of track if you were driving and marshalling freight IMHO..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

5 hours ago, J van E said:

EDIT Oh, bummer, you need Heavy Haul in order to run this. I thought it was a stand alone package. I think I am out then. Maybe with a christmas sale.

Well, they do have a twofer' sale going on with both titles together for $41...................................

Which is not too horrible for the length of track being offered.

In fact, since CSX heavy haul is normally $39, throwing in Northern for a total of $41 means they are pretty much giving Northern away.....

Northern by itself would normally be at least $16

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

12 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Well, they do have a twofer' sale going on with both titles together for $41...................................

Which is not too horrible for the length of track being offered.

In fact, since CSX heavy haul is normally $39, throwing in Northern Western for a total of $41 means they are pretty much giving Northern Western away.....

Northern Western by itself would normally be at least $16

I know, but some 40 bucks is just a bit too much for some 40 miles of track. :happy: Okay, you can run some +350 scenario's on it but it's the same track but then cut in pieces and run on different times. I think I get bored of that track pretty soon. Doing 100 scenario's that take 3 minutes each isn't my cup of tea, I think. And for that 40 bucks is a bit too much. Unless of course I happen to like that Haul part... but that doesn't really attract me right now.

A total of 350 scenarios/missions sounds good, but that InterCity 125 needs a much greater length of track than 40 miles to really stretch its legs, and that means the entire 120 miles from London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Northern?

Hey, I was really sleepy when I typed that. :blush:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

And like High Bypass has already indicated, a locomotive like the InterCity 125 really needs a lot more track than 40 miles. The entire 120 miles from London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads is the only carrot that will attract this rabbit.

Neveh' gonna happen. :emu_melk:

At least not at a price people would be willing to pay.........

Devons rig

Bummer. Decided to buy it anyway. At checkout I got a message the price had changed while I added the game to my basket... It obviously had gone up. So I cancelled again. I was just a minute or so too late.

Annnnnnnnnd...... Its out!

23 hours ago, J van E said:

Bummer. Decided to buy it anyway. At checkout I got a message the price had changed while I added the game to my basket... It obviously had gone up. So I cancelled again. I was just a minute or so too late.

Yeah, the bundle went up by about $8 

Devons rig

I've bought the bundle and I enjoy them, all things considered.

Yes, the routes are pretty short, and they're basically just one straight line (a curvy one in the case of CSX). No splits or alternative routes, so you'll be driving up and down the same route over and over again. It's especially silly with the Class 43 since you only ever drive the first or final short leg of the route, then "someone else takes over" according to the game. The stopping services obviously take longer to complete and allow you to see more of the detail they've put into this route.

However, this is the only train simulator that doesn't look like it came out in 1998. This game actually uses modern lighting and rendering techniques to achieve incredible bump mapping, haze, shadows, reflections, vegetation detail etc. I've been thinking about trying a train sim for a long time, but was always put off by the ugly graphics. Yes, visuals aren't everything, but for me, they're an important part of the experience and immersion. This probably also explains why the routes are shorter. All that detail means it takes more time to craft the routes. That also has to be taken into the value for money equation.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Was looking at the title again (bored) and it occurred to me that just riding as a passenger might be a little interesting, depending on the detail and amount of things to see at the various stations if you hopped off the train to look around. Might be more interesting if there were things to interact with........

I remember in world of subways, I enjoyed exploring some stations. On the other hand, world of subways had lots of curves, where I understand from others this route is about as boringly straight as you can get.

Wonder how real drivers stay awake month after month....

Still dithering..........

It would likely be an instant purchase if it had vr......

Devons rig

I see I totally forgot to say that I bought TSW after all (for the full price), only for GWE. And so I also 'forgot' to say I actually like it. Well, there are a lot of bugs but I think this game is great anyway. If not awesome.

Truth be told, I haven't touched P3D since the day I bought TSW GWE and that was 11 days ago already...!

I coulnd't care less about no VR support because I am done with VR for now (mainly because of the low resolution). At first I was annoyed TWS didn't even have Track IR support, something I wouldn't fly without, but honestly, I don't miss it.

I've been driving services every day (by far my favorite mode to play) and lately I am even doing the longer ones (which take around 50 minutes to over an hour or so). Yes, it's the same old track everytime but using different weather themes and time of day keeps things varied. But even then: there is something mesmerizing (if that is the right word) with this game... It is totally awesome to drive from station to station, trying to stay on time, using all available options (which aren't that many btw). Controls are simple but you have to stay on your toes all the time (with all safety systems enabled).

Right now I specially like to drive with rainy autumn weather at the beginning of the evening... doing this in the HST, which goes straight from Reading to Paddington which hardly a sign that stops you, is... hypnotizing. So relaxing...!!! I love it. (EDIT It's a bit like that West world video above!)

So thanks, HiFlyer, for bringing this game to my attention here. I am surprised you didn't get it yet...! :happy: