Sign in to follow this  
switch686

Today there was...

a younger person on the FSW Break Discord server that is flying FSW in multiplayer. He is asking all sorts of questions. Wish I knew how to answer half of them. I've helped him all I can. Things like keyboard commands which some can rattle off the top of their head.  He is so inquisitive. Hate to see a young simmer that seems so interested just give up because he can't get all the answers. Regardless of what we think, Steam is the new outlet. It's where all the younger people go. Same with Discord. Just hope that some of the older simmers can join the server. You can just chat or text. Some of us talk, some don't. You don't have to get involved. Others are asking about addons and .cfg questions. Maybe FSW is not your thing, that is OK. I would think that regardless of what sim you use, you can help. Giving people advice or direction doesn't mean you have to buy a sim or even care about it. I believe the FSW Break Discord server has already been posted on here so I won't copy it again.

• Upvote 3

So glad you are relating your experience. As a 6 decade old person, I'm so happy to see young people on Facebook, Steam, etc. getting into flight simulation.

Dovetail deserves credit for a good bit of this increase of participation with FSX-SE and FSW.

• Upvote 1

As soon as I posted this, I went back to the Discord server and saw more questions...Wish someone would help, so at the expense of my Rep, I am going to add the link...https://discord.gg/RDA5KvH I hope no one minds...

22 hours ago, switch686 said:

As soon as I posted this, I went back to the Discord server and saw more questions...Wish someone would help, so at the expense of my Rep, I am going to add the link...https://discord.gg/RDA5KvH I hope no one minds...

Why not just tell him to post his questions here?

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

vortex681,

An excellent suggestion,  However, I feel that any reuests for advice should firstly be posted to the Dev whose app/programme is the problem. Whilst Avsim is a truly excellent source of help and information and in itself, is quite, quite indispensible, is really only a secondary source of information borne of experience. I have invariably received a lot of advice and help from this source and I am truly appreciative for exactly that. BUT ....

The DEV should be the first stop in any request for help.

I believe all "Newbies" should be given this advice in the first instance. Experienced simmers generally know better.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

8 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I feel that any reuests for advice should firstly be posted to the Dev whose app/programme is the problem.

I completely agree. However my suggestion was in response to the OP's request for members from here to go to another server to help there. If he feels that members from here are likely to have the answers (a good bet, in my experience) , surely this is where the questions should be asked?

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It sounds like this person has a lot of enthusiasm and I think it is incumbent upon us as the premier flightsim community to assist him when we can.  We welcome new members and questions and requests for help are one of the basic reasons we have forums such as the one you are reading. I'm sure that if you scroll through any of the forums here you will see that the majority of the discussions concern a problem someone is having.

I would tend to believe that very, very few of us members old and new have never sought help here. And, granted, there those whose first response is "Google", or "talk to DTG", or something similar. This happens and we try to keep it from causing flame wars.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Hello all,

What is/was of immediate concern to me on reading the ops original request (and reinforced by his second plea to help someone else,) was in fact, the lack of response on the original site.

What pleases me, is the fact that, in times of stress, or a lack of response, AVSIM is generally the first alternative.  This, to me, indicates a living, breathing and growing site, and for all the right reasons.

For sure, we get the occasional, abrupt "Google is your friend etc" and I think we all acknowledge that without a follow up, these are a frustrating and largely unhelpful response to the OP.  Even a response of "Google ....Subject" would be a better response and could be classified as helpful as opposed to "Google is your friend" being a "sort of" snide response.

The original OP, though, should probably have suggested to the chappie in need, in the first place,  to go to Avsim as a first alternative, in lieu of comeing here himself with the request.

This automatically lengthened the time frame of the response. It most likely involved someone from this site to go looking for the chap with the probem on the original site in order to help him out.  All in all, a strange way to go about anything.

I just wonder if the person with the original problem has indeed popped up here to pose his problem, or is still waiting for someone to go to him.

Regardless, I hope he eventually gets "sorted" and I apologise for this long winded response.

Cheers to all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

For now, AVSIM is not the "premier" site for FSW support.  Found far more helpful things from the Dovetail forum, Steam, and that Discord server.

For other sims, this place is great!  For getting questions about FSW answered more quickly, this currently is not the best place.  The only exception I've seen to this is some of the scenery things done, but those were all posted elsewhere as well at about the same time. 

I think the OP is asking the AVSIM community to be a little more open and assist elsewhere vice just relying on folks coming to AVSIM for help with things.  Not saying "leave AVSIM" just be more open and consider helping elsewhere which could then draw others back to here.

• Upvote 1

Discord seems to be the new Skype / TeamSpeak, which makes it pretty useful for people who enjoy multiplayer flying. Forums are still very popular among established simmers, thanks to everyone who helped this guy with his questions on the Break discord over the weekend! :) 

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

theohall65,

My point exactly. Well stated.

Avsim "should not" be the premier site for any developer, particularly Payware. It is, however, a really great alternative if the developers site is not responsive or is unhelpful (yes .... there are actual instances of this, however rare)

Again, I stress, go to the dev support site first. It should be the best place for help in all instances.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

On 8/27/2017 at 6:25 PM, vortex681 said:

Why not just tell him to post his questions here?

The reason I did not direct him to this forum is because he is 11 years old. He dreams of becoming a pilot. Youngsters today are more open to chatting on Teamspeak or Discord rather than posting on forums. Thats just the way things are now. Maybe it's the patience of younger people these days. They want answers immediately. The one forum I do see younger people on is the Reddit forum, but it is quite brutal over there if you even mention FSW. Don't know what people on there have against this Sim except that maybe the money they have spent has already cemented their loyalty to a particular one. Myself I couldn't care which Sim you fly. But if he is on again I will give him the link to here.