Sign in to follow this  
Amnmaddox

APPHangB1 Across FS Platforms

Hey all,

I thought I'd throw this one out there since Im not having luck finding a solution anywhere. Im in the process of switching to P3dv3. Ive been a FS2004 user for over a decade, but it still is my old standby. The problem Ive been having has just started a few weeks ago, but has carried over to both FS2004 and P3Dv3. As the title states, I get an APPHangb1 in both FS9 and P3dv3, at random times. In FS9 its completly random. In P3d its when I use the 2d panel. If I select an A/C, load the flight, the 2d panel loads. If I select a pop-up panel (ie in the iFLY 737, select the FMC pop-up) the panel flashes on screen for a split second, then the sim freezes. The sound remains, the screen remains for a few seconds, then, my display blacks out saying my video card has crashed and has been restarted. Anyone seeing this out there? I'm running a EVGA GTX1070, with 384.94 drivers, NVIDIA Inspector settings for both P3d and FS9.

Worth mentioning, Ive used FS9 on this PC for a year or so, not CTD's until i installed P3d. Now, FS9 crashes, usually very early in a flight (ie on taxi out or sometimes when I load the flight). I have not made any changes to FS9 since loading P3d except re-installing 2 aircraft during my troubleshooting, thinking they may have caused the issue (iFly 737, QW757, ) since I have 2 versions on my PC.

AppHang's are difficult to diagnose but, in your case, most FS9 apps/addons are not compatible with P3DV3.  For instance, I know of no aircraft with a 2d Panel that is compatible with P3DV3 (I'm sure there are some but I have not seen them).  Old aircraft have gauges that are not compatible with P3D for one thing.  I think iFly just updated their product for P3Dv4.  I do not know if and when they updated it for P3Dv3 and earlier versions.  If you did not purchase iFly737 for P3D, you need to remove it from your computer.  I have the iFly 737 for FSX only and decided not to get the P3D version as I had to purchase it again for P3D.  The FSX version will not work in P3D (any versions). 

According to the QW website, the QW757 is only compatible with P3Dv2.5 and earlier versions.  They probably had to update the gauges for V3 so they did not update it yet for V3 and V4.  The product is strictly compatible with FSX (boxed)/Acceleration or FSX SP2 and FS9.  Whenever you install a product that was not developed or tested with a sim like P3DV3, you are going to run into issues.  Maybe not the first or second flight, but it will happen.

The AVSIM CTD Guide, see link in my signature, has more information about AppHangs.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thanks for the quick response. Firstly, I am not running any FS9 add-ons (or any other multi-compatible software) in P3dv3. IFly does have a version 3.4 compatible version and I am a licensed user for all of their product lines ( i.e. FSX, FS9, P3d). I simply mentioned FS9 because the AppHangB1 seems to have followed me there after installing/running P3dv3.

9 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

For instance, I know of no aircraft with a 2d Panel that is compatible with P3DV3 (I'm sure there are some but I have not seen them).

As far as 2d panel, I'm not sure I follow you. I guess to clarify, I'm not using the VC, rather the 2d cockpit (ultimate goal is running over a multiple monitor setup).

33 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

According to the QW website, the QW757 is only compatible with P3Dv2.5 and earlier versions.  They probably had to update the gauges for V3 so they did not update it yet for V3 and V4.  The product is strictly compatible with FSX (boxed)/Acceleration or FSX SP2 and FS9.  Whenever you install a product that was not developed or tested with a sim like P3DV3, you are going to run into issues.  Maybe not the first or second flight, but it will happen.

As far as QW goes, they are compatible with v3 as seen here https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/482846-qualitywings-–-757-p3d-v3-installer-released/

9 hours ago, Amnmaddox said:

I'm not using the VC, rather the 2d cockpit (ultimate goal is running over a multiple monitor setup).

According to Flight1, the 737 does not work well with multiple monitors - http://ifly.flight1.net/forums/repositioning-2d-panels_topic11435.html.  That might have been fixed with updates though.  I stand corrected regarding the iFly737 in P3D.  See it is now compatible up to P3Dv4.  Flight1 has so many sites selling the iFly737 and some mention just the FS9, some with FSX, FSX-SE (and FS9), and finally, you can find the iFly737 for P3D if you search for it with P3D in the search box.

On their website they state it is 'utmost importance' that FSUIPC is installed and up-to-date.  If you have the FSUIPC (registered version), make sure AutoSave is not enabled.  It is known to cause freezes/crashes.

As I stated earlier, it is impossible to diagnose an AppHang.  You have to investigate the issue yourself and the AVSIM CTD Guide was written to help you investigate.  Page 27 or 28 provides some information on fixes for an Application Hang that worked for others and I provide a link within the guide to "How to Fix Most FSX/P3D Crashes and Freezes".

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

13 hours ago, Amnmaddox said:

The sound remains, the screen remains for a few seconds, then, my display blacks out saying my video card has crashed and has been restarted. Anyone seeing this out there? I'm running a EVGA GTX1070, with 384.94 drivers, NVIDIA Inspector settings for both P3d and FS9.37, QW757, ) since I have 2 versions on my PC.

That is your clue. I'd start by rolling back the video driver to a previous version, or moving forward to the latest.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.