Sign in to follow this  
super jet 100

How to set landscape in XP11 from google

I would really appreciate if somebody can explain or post a link to detailed tutorial how use satellite photos (google earth, bing or any other map that has high quality pics of Czech Republic) as landscape layer in XP11.

For a start, search for ortho4xp tutorial on youtube. :happy:

There are also endless threads about this subject, but the videos will give you a good idea to get started.

@super jet 100

This is the YouTube tutorial (by Luna) that took me from not having a clue how to make photoscenery in XP11, to being able to make beautiful photoscenery for any area.   I learned it in the 20 minutes the video lasts!    It's an excellent tutorial.    I just followed each step of the tutorial, pausing the video and then continuing.

Good luck !

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

1 hour ago, JYW said:

@super jet 100

This is the YouTube tutorial (by Luna) that took me from not having a clue how to make photoscenery in XP11, to being able to make beautiful photoscenery for any area.   I learned it in the 20 minutes the video lasts!    It's an excellent tutorial.    I just followed each step of the tutorial, pausing the video and then continuing.

Good luck !

Is there any none-video instruction somewhere

I prefer to keep my bandwith for what is important, like scenery, not for videos, beside I do not understand anything when trying to use videos to teach me things

36 minutes ago, rat7 said:

Is there any none-video instruction somewhere

I prefer to keep my bandwith for what is important, like scenery, not for videos, beside I do not understand anything when trying to use videos to teach me things

Not that I know of.    This is a very easy video to follow, and will get you there in 20 mins.  I guess it's just a case of deciding how important it is for you.     I do appreciate bandwidth is an issue for some though.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

And if bandwidth is an issue, my advise is to stay away from this. 

From simheaven (just just to give you an idea): 

A tile – which is 1 x 1 degree – needs in ZL16 2 GBytes, in ZL17 8 GB and in ZL18 32GB space on your harddisk.

As stated above if you have bandwidth restrictions it may not be a good idea for you. I have a fast connection and no limits. I have probably downloaded about 3TB of tiles in the past month alone. That only gives me about two thirds of western europe at a pretty low zoom level of 16.

A 20 min video of youtube to show you how to do it is nothing in comparison. May be 1/1000th of one single tile in bandwith.

23 hours ago, yidahoo said:

Because ortho is infinitely better looking and with autogen overlay, infinitely more accurate

But to cover the entire planet you need tons of hard disc, many TB, and whit orbx I think is about 150 Gb.

4 hours ago, batito said:

But to cover the entire planet you need tons of hard disc, many TB, and whit orbx I think is about 150 Gb.

Well, the big problem in this area is, that the terrain is generated in a totally different manner than in FSX, P3D or FSW. So Orbx would have to reinvent their technologies. And then there is the problem that the HD and UHD Donationswares by alpilotx ( http://www.alpilotx.net/ ) also cover more or less the complete planet and in several areas they are more than a competitor: I wrote an article about it two years ago: http://www.simflight.de/2015/09/19/vergleich-p3d-v2-5-und-x-plane-10-40-terrain-darstellung/

While I don´t really appreciate autotranslations, I think the images speak for themselves.

It was still X-Plane 10 and P3Dv2.5, but in my opinion the autogen for cities made much bigger advances than Orbx. And outside of the cities you see why the HD and UHD terrain uses more memory. Without 64 bit this wouldn´t have worked.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:35 PM, yidahoo said:

Because ortho is infinitely better looking and with autogen overlay, infinitely more accurate

Where good orthoimagery exists! And its often not free of flaws either (Think about: terrain shadows ... different time of day, time of year, seasons, image coloring in adjacent photo tiles ... sometimes cloud cover problems ... etc. etc.).

Simply put: there is no such thing as free beer and every approach has its pros and cons.