Sign in to follow this  
dongdongliushui

What does "use High-Resolution terrain textures" affect?

I am confused about the use of this option. Does it affect the sharpness of the default ground texture, photoreal ground texture, or autogen texture?

It should affect any groundtexture but the effect is rather subtle. I myself can't really see a difference while flying and even on comparison screenshots I doubt if I see any difference. So I have it turned off. Don't know if that saves fps but is sure saved loading times.

Can' see a difference? Without it you see the LOD decreasing like it did in FSX and v3. If you turn it on the groundtextures become much sharper in the distance.

8 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Can' see a difference? Without it you see the LOD decreasing like it did in FSX and v3. If you turn it on the groundtextures become much sharper in the distance.

Ok, I will give it another try then. I only tested it from one position, taking screenshots, and not while actually flying... I understand the difference becomes noticable only while actual flying?

Remember that GPU memory is increased so you would need at least 6GB Videoram.

My GTX970 4GB cannot handle it 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

27 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Remember that GPU memory is increased so you would need at least 6GB Videoram.

My GTX970 4GB cannot handle it 

Michael Moe

My GTX1080 shouldn't have any problems with it then. :happy:

It makes a huge difference, especially if you go back to v3 after flying in v4

Thank you guys so much! I asked this in the official forum but got no answer.

If it turns the ground textures in the distance sharper, is it the same as increasing "TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10"?

Should I just change one of them, or both?

4 minutes ago, dongdongliushui said:

Thank you guys so much! I asked this in the official forum but got no answer.

If it turns the ground textures in the distance sharper, is it the same as increasing "TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10"?

Should I just change one of them, or both?

9 Is what you will see setting the in sim "use high res textures"

10 is only settable via cfg as you need more than 8 gb VRAM, my 1080TI runs using 10GB VRAM consumed at this setting

My 1080Ti still runs ok using "10" in the .cfg performancewise, but it definitely increases the loading time beyond acceptable levels. As "9" is already a big step up compared to v3.4, I have it on "9" now inside the config and unchecked inside P3D, for me the best compromise in loading times and ground texture display.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Ok, I will give it another try then. I only tested it from one position, taking screenshots, and not while actually flying... I understand the difference becomes noticable only while actual flying?

Think of it like the "extended DSF" option in XP10.

3 hours ago, kand said:

9 Is what you will see setting the in sim "use high res textures"

10 is only settable via cfg as you need more than 8 gb VRAM, my 1080TI runs using 10GB VRAM consumed at this setting

I tried TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 with my 8gb GTX1080, It can run, but I am not sure if it's too much for the 8gb card.

My 8 GB GTX 1070 basically choked on the 10 setting. I ended up running out of physical RAM (and getting an OOM of all things!) as I think it was trying to compensate for running out of VRAM. I'm now using 9 without any issues. It works great.

James

4 hours ago, dongdongliushui said:

I tried TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 with my 8gb GTX1080, It can run, but I am not sure if it's too much for the 8gb card.

I have a 1080TI which has 12gb VRAM, this handles 10 no problem. My old 1070 couldnt handle 10 as it would run out of VRAM and FPS would drop through the floor