Sign in to follow this  

Graphic options change all the time!?

Just found out the oddest thing. When I go to the graphics options the texture resolution is lowered a step everytime!!! I noticed just now when I was trying some settings that the box for texture resolution was totally empty so I set it to 1024. After clicking OK, flying a while and going back to the option screen the resolution was 512. When I flew once more and came back again it was 258 and the next time it was empty! So EVERYTIME I go to the option screen the texture resolution setting is lowered one step!

And another curious thing was that whenever I load a saved preset for the grahics options the anisotropic filtering goes from 16 to 8!

How the heck can I be sure the proper settings are being used? They change all the time! Does anyone know where these settings are in the saved preset cfg and what the appropriate numbers are (for resolution 1024 and aniso 16)? But even if I know those numbers, P3D changes the setting everytime I enter the option sceen so I never can be sure if the proper settings are used.

EDIT Just checked the current active cfg and the resolution was indeed lowered! So it's not just a wrong readout, the texture resolution is actually being changed automatically! What the heck!

EDIT2 Well, at least I can now check if P3D is using the actual rexture resolution by checking the Prepar3d.cfg but obviously this is very odd. And if someone knows how the anisotropic filtering option is called, please let me know so I can check that too.

I have noticed that the PTA and/or Envtex presets cause graphics settings to change according to the preset. I'm guessing it's an either/or - use your own settings or the preset. Of course, if so inclined, one could design their own preset.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I don't own and use PTA nor Envtex so that can't be it. My only addons are FTX Norway, AS for v4, A2A Cherokee and C172.

ok, now that's a strange one. I have FTX Norway and the A2A Cherokee and have not seen that happen. Any product you tried and uninstalled that might have left something behind? If you rename the prepar3d.cfg file and let the sim build a new one, do the changes continue?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I had bizarre behaviour yesterday where the scenery.cfg and the prepare3d.cfg became totally corrupted. 

Initially the sim would not start saying there was no scenery.cfg file whatsoever. I had to hand edit out symbols and oriental language text (took all afternoon).

One of the remaining problems was that it would not let me uncheck the (strange) tree option and kept messing with the textures selected. Repairing the cfg files fixed it.

BTW, I am fairly certain what caused the problem, but do not want the liability of not being able to prove it with certainty.

It happened when I was trying to install FSDT CYVR with the latest updated Migration Tool. I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Kind regards,

Ok, I think I found what the problem was, well, is, at least on my PC. Things go wrong as soon as I save and use a graphic preset.

Vic got me in the right direction: I deteled the Prepar3D.cfg and things were totally fine again. No more automatic changes. After checking all was fine I saved a graphic preset. As soon as I had done that the settings started to change again whenever I went to the options screen!!! And the ONLY way to stop the settings from changing again was to delete the Prepar3d.cfg again!

So NO MORE graphic presets for me! I am curious if this happens on other people's computers too! Somehowe the saved presets are bugged. What I did notice that as soon as I used a preset the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD didn't read 1024 anymore but 1023! Probably this 1 pixel lower setting triggered P3D to select a lower setting. 512 showed up as 511. Et cetera. Without using presets TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD shows the proper 1024.

Somehow somewhere the graphic presets are bugged, it seems to me.

48 minutes ago, J van E said:

Just found out the oddest thing. When I go to the graphics options the texture resolution is lowered a step everytime!!! I noticed just now when I was trying some settings that the box for texture resolution was totally empty so I set it to 1024. After clicking OK, flying a while and going back to the option screen the resolution was 512. When I flew once more and came back again it was 258 and the next time it was empty! So EVERYTIME I go to the option screen the texture resolution setting is lowered one step!

And another curious thing was that whenever I load a saved preset for the grahics options the anisotropic filtering goes from 16 to 8!

How the heck can I be sure the proper settings are being used? They change all the time! Does anyone know where these settings are in the saved preset cfg and what the appropriate numbers are (for resolution 1024 and aniso 16)? But even if I know those numbers, P3D changes the setting everytime I enter the option sceen so I never can be sure if the proper settings are used.

EDIT Just checked the current active cfg and the resolution was indeed lowered! So it's not just a wrong readout, the texture resolution is actually being changed automatically! What the heck!

EDIT2 Well, at least I can now check if P3D is using the actual rexture resolution by checking the Prepar3d.cfg but obviously this is very odd. And if someone knows how the anisotropic filtering option is called, please let me know so I can check that too.

Jeroen,

Do you have any symbols within your Prepare3d.cfg or scenery.cfg files? One of them may be a square. If so please see my other reply. 

Kind regards,

Try to save your default situation with a MON A2A aircraft and check if it helps.

I had a similar problem with c172 aircraft by default and the texture resolution was decreasing and saved 1023 in the cfg

Orangina

Hardware: Intel 4770K / Geforce 1060 / Saitek X55 + Fighter Rudder / Saitek Switch Panel + Multi Panel + Radio Panel + BIP + 5 FIP (Drived by SPADNext) / Track IR 4 + TrackClip Pro

Software: W10 64bits, MSFS, LittleNavMap

2 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Jeroen,

Do you have any symbols within your Prepare3d.cfg or scenery.cfg files? One of them may be a square. If so please see my other reply. 

Kind regards,

No, I checked the faulty cfg's and noticed no squares. All of them did show 1023 instead of 1024 (see my previous reply) so in my case that must have been the problem. I don't have an explanation for the filtering going from 16 to 8 but it probably is related: somehow saved graphical presets screw up things in the Prepar3d.cfg.

Just now, orangina said:

Try to save your default situation with a MON A2A aircraft and check if it helps.

I had a similar problem with c172 aircraft by default and the texture resolution was decreasing and saved 1023 in the cfg

Hm, that could be it then!!! I did indeed save my default flight with the A2A Cherokee. But as it is now things are fine as long as I don't use a saved grahpics preset. And I rather not test this and go through all settings AGAIN. Besides, I like my Cherokee to be default. But anyway, this could be a cause of the problems too.

So the advice may be: do not save a default situation with an A2A plane if you want to use graphic presets. And if you do want to save a default situation with an A2A plane, like I do, do NOT use graphics presets!

Interesting,

Anyone have something similar happen with other saved payware aircraft? I was using the RealAir Duke V2 and the Legacy at the time (Not sure which).

I own a few A2A aircraft that I have not brought over, so I could test them for that, but do not need the grief!

Glad you resolved it.

Kind regards,

Try setting your default situation with a cub. Not any addon aircraft.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

I had bizarre behaviour yesterday where the scenery.cfg and the prepare3d.cfg became totally corrupted. 

Initially the sim would not start saying there was no scenery.cfg file whatsoever. I had to hand edit out symbols and oriental language text (took all afternoon).

One of the remaining problems was that it would not let me uncheck the (strange) tree option and kept messing with the textures selected. Repairing the cfg files fixed it.

BTW, I am fairly certain what caused the problem, but do not want the liability of not being able to prove it with certainty.

It happened when I was trying to install FSDT CYVR with the latest updated Migration Tool. I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Kind regards,

I had the same thing happen with the installation of FSDT Hawaiian airports. I got into a pissing match with those folks about what the issue was, I had to edit out 100s of symbols to fix the scenery.cfg. They blamed me, couldn't be their installer blah, blah...I might have used an old installer but I don't know for sure. In the end I found that I had to install manually their addon manager and then everything worked great.

I simply believe something did not install correctly, I used only their installers and that corrupted the scenery.cfg file. Period, I did not "make a mistake" which they said I must have manually added the files blah blah. Their arrogance really ticked me off. Because I did none of what they suggested I must have done.

Some vendors get so defensive and personal it defies the imagination.

A good protocol is to consider making a backup of the scenery.cfg once in a while in case such stuff happens...and it does.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Bryan,

Thank you!

Thank you for coming forward to tell us what happened to you. For the most part it seems to be a near identical occurrence to me. I too did nothing either to cause what happened. It was not my fault and they certainly are responsible if customer's simulations are at risk with their products in any way.

If it was not for the fact that we (you and I) know our way around the basic ESP (FS9, FSX, P3D) structures thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of system development would have been corrupted and lost. I am not a happy camper and alarmed that such FS death traps are sitting there waiting to be unwarily triggered.

Any inexperienced person getting slammed with this mess would have lost their complete install without remedy! It is enough to rile me up and make me call for some companies to clean up their act or be sanctioned by the communities. Too bad there are not some authorities in charge to report to.

Thank you once again!

Kind regards,