Sign in to follow this  

Graphic options change all the time!?

11 hours ago, J van E said:

So the advice may be: do not save a default situation with an A2A plane if you want to use graphic presets. And if you do want to save a default situation with an A2A plane, like I do, do NOT use graphics presets!

It is a known bug if you head over to the A2A forums, you will see that. As in such cases not quiet surprising, A2A thinks the bug is within LM, LM thinks the bug is within A2A, so I wonder if we get a solution with 4.1 or an A2A update. However, it is not limited to graphic presets (at least not with me): each time I go into the options to change the texture resolution dropdown, it will select one below the one you actually wanted. So, I always select 4096x4096 to be safe as I also do not want to eliminate my A2A based default flight...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The only reason to load a complex aircraft as the default flight in P3D is to ensure your sim acts in any number of odd ways depending on what complexities the addon aircraft adds.

Continue with problems or instead - set-up a regular default flight file - start the sim - when it gets to the menu it has loaded the default flight, now load your A2A flight file.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

That's right, this should also be considered. As I never had any issue using the A2A Cherokee, I stayed with my default flight. Of course, for many other addons, using one of the P3D default planes to start with is a must, I am aware of this.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The way P3D starts up and enters the sim is different to FSX and so with addons coming from FSX aspects of coding these differences may be required depending on the aircraft or addon involved.

• Upvote 1

Hm, well, yes, I suppose it's indeed best to create a default flight with a default plane, even though I never had problems like this with v3. Must have been luck. The point is I usually fly only ONE plane for ages and it sucks having to select that plane out of a long list every single time I start P3D. But yes, it does indeed prevent problems like this. 

Loading an A2A flight file isn't ideal either because then it also loads circumstances I may not want (at least time would be a problem because afaik that is saved with the flight file but of course I might also want to change location) and I'd have to change that after the flight has loaded, causing the sim to reload everything once more. 

As I said :dry: default aircraft start up. 

You dont have to select one from a long list. Make the aircraft you fly add it to your favorites, then in list of aircraft tick favorites only.

• Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

As I said :dry: default aircraft start up. 

You dont have to select one from a long list. Make the aircraft you fly add it to your favorites, then in list of aircraft tick favorites only.

Favorites... in all honesty I've never noticed that option...! :blush: That's what I'll do then! Even though things seem to work fine now. But I don't want to spend another evening troubleshooting something that turns out to be my own fault in the end :happy: so default plane and favorites it is. 

Best thing to do is start simple and follow the recommendations. Start with a default flight from the stock sim. After you're sure the sim works OK no problems at all, only then start attempting changes to the setup - emerging problems can be determined more easily that way.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Favorites... in all honesty I've never noticed that option...! :blush: That's what I'll do then! Even though things seem to work fine now. But I don't want to spend another evening troubleshooting something that turns out to be my own fault in the end :happy: so default plane and favorites it is. 

Glad your sorted it J.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

15 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Glad your sorted it J.

Glad you all helped. :happy:

7 hours ago, SteveW said:

The only reason to load a complex aircraft as the default flight in P3D is to ensure your sim acts in any number of odd ways depending on what complexities the addon aircraft adds.

Continue with problems or instead - set-up a regular default flight file - start the sim - when it gets to the menu it has loaded the default flight, now load your A2A flight file.

This 'rule' has applied to all versions of FS, as most people using these forums should know, along with the 'rule' about installing FS into it's own folder.

Of course FS will work OK in the default folder, to some degree, and of course many add-ons can be used for the saved flight, but them many can't.

The 2 basic 'rules' just save a load of grief.

Cheers

Paul Golding

39 minutes ago, Paul Golding said:

This 'rule' has applied to all versions of FS, as most people using these forums should know, along with the 'rule' about installing FS into it's own folder.

Of course FS will work OK in the default folder, to some degree, and of course many add-ons can be used for the saved flight, but them many can't.

The 2 basic 'rules' just save a load of grief.

+1 for sure

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

22 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

It happened when I was trying to install FSDT CYVR with the latest updated Migration Tool. I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Kind regards,

Why you tried to install CYVR with the Migration Tool, when its official installer supports every version of P3D, with the most P3D-native installation method there is (the add-on.xml method) ?

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, SpiritFlyer said:

I had bizarre behaviour yesterday where the scenery.cfg and the prepare3d.cfg became totally corrupted. 

Initially the sim would not start saying there was no scenery.cfg file whatsoever. I had to hand edit out symbols and oriental language text (took all afternoon).

Stephen, it is quite likely that the developer hasn't ensured that changes made to various .cfg file were saved in UNICODE (UTF-16) format. That's probably where all the strange characters & symbols came from.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Stephen, it is quite likely that the developer hasn't ensured that changes made to various .cfg file were saved in UNICODE (UTF-8) format. That's probably where all the strange characters & symbols came from.

Actually, cfg files have to be UTF-16/UCS2 LE. There is also the option that an old installer uses the old file encodings and breaks the cfgs, or that the user himself corrupts those files if he is unaware that they can no longer be edited with Windows Notepad.

Before starting to edit out funny characters, you have to ensure that the cfg file has the correct encoding, using an editor that is capable of handling that (like the freeware Notepad++). The strange characters may even go away once you convert the file properly - but don't count on it.

But in any case, you absolutely have to make sure that cfg files have UTF-16 encoding. Otherwise the next V4 compatible installer will corrupt them again.

Best regards

LORBY-SI