Sign in to follow this  
in2tech

Who is considering new pc builds, laptop's, for FSW?

Is your system long in the tooth and FSW is motivating you to build, or buy a new computer or laptop! Laptop one is for me as I never have desktop's anymore. I code lightly, and my computer has to be portable and my flight sim's have to go with me! Flight simulation is secondary to portability. I also never buy DLC, maybe a few aircraft's, but never scenery, airport's, or anything like that. Not my thing. Although I expect more DLC aircraft to be purchased for FSW. Depend's on what the final product end's up having as a base. 

So who is getting 20-40 fps ( in my case 12-20 fps, yeah, me MacBook Air person ) and want's 40-60 fps or more. Yes, of course this would help your other sim's out as well. But I am asking if the TrueSKy, Aircraft, etc... in FSW is making you consider it, plus the future development, and what add on's might come in the next 2-5 year's.

I am looking for a new laptop. Family got a new low end system this past weekend, and welcomed me to the world of better screen resolution. I think 1920 x 1080, which is amazing and probably a joke to ya'll :) BTW, FSW does run, but at very, very, very low frames. But considering it basically an Intel M type chip, 4gb ram, 128 ssd,  it was amazing it even worked :)

Don't think we can get into detail too much or they will move us to the hardware forum :)

Laptop 13.3" 1920 X 1080 I think it is, 8 gb ram, 128 or 256 ssd, i5 or i7,  next 3-12 month's depending on how long I can hold out. I want it today!

Please don't move us to hardware section :) Pretty please!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

I've got a i5 something with 8 meg and a GTX750. If I set all the graphics options to Low, I get in the 50's. I ended up with the slider set from top to bottom as Low, Med High, High, Med High, Low and get 28's to 32's depending what I'm looking at. The Scenery option had less of an effect than I expected, so it's the one on High. The top one (graphics ?) had the biggest effect, with a 20 drop going from Low to Med High.

I'm running on a i5 3.4ghz , msi GTX960 2gb , 8gb ram ddr3 1600 , win 10 free upgrade from win 7 64bit , and I've been getting 40-100fps check out my screenshots on steam can`t put them here got a rollicking for that, and I have orbx and other fsx scenery installed. I run msi game control in the sim shows in shot GPU performance on ultra GPU 100%. ON OC. 

Ray Fry. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

My PC broke last May, so I went a little overkill when I built my rig a couple of months ago. 

1800X, 1080TI, 1GB HD, 500GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. 

I want to throw another 16GB in, just for the sake of going over the top. 

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

4 hours ago, DTG_Cryss said:

My PC broke last May, so I went a little overkill when I built my rig a couple of months ago. 

You mean 1 TB HD, cause 1 GB is not very much :) Too funny! Or am I reading something wrong?

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

57 minutes ago, Learjet777 said:

You mean 1 TB HD, cause 1 GB is not very much :) Too funny! Or am I reading something wrong?

You are probably right, there are no 1GB HDDs for sale.

I was building my new pc also.

Intel i7-7700k 4.2ghz overclocked to 4.7ghz

Nvidia GTX 1080

16gb ram ddr4

2x m.2 512gb

Get about 20fps maxed in fsw. So it needs to be optimazed.

4 hours ago, Cyrex1984 said:

I was building my new pc also.

Intel i7-7700k 4.2ghz overclocked to 4.7ghz

Nvidia GTX 1080

16gb ram ddr4

2x m.2 512gb

Get about 20fps maxed in fsw. So it needs to be optimazed.

Set lower traffic settings. My pc has the same specs and in big cities like London or Los Angeles I get at least 30 fps.

15 hours ago, DTG_Cryss said:

that's close to what I built just throw in a 1070 and lesser CPU - i5-6500.  When building it, I made sure the motherboard was LGA1151 so I can upgrade to a newer CPU.  Whenever the i7-7700K drops below $300... bring on the upgrade.  Current CPU cooler is already compatible with the i7.... so only have to change one part.....  Had issues trying to run 32GB RAM, though.  Haven't resolved that issue, yet.

On 8/29/2017 at 7:48 PM, Learjet777 said:

Aye, think I fat fingered G instead of T ^_^ 

That said, I did have an ASUS with a 1060 in it for about a year, that was capable of a surprisingly large amount. 

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

Just literally got a new computer finished today, and it was FSW which was the catalyst for that. FSW is great but it was making my old computer struggle somewhat. Needless to say, creating a new computer is pretty expensive, but it was probably long overdue anyway. Looking forward to seeing how it runs FSW; currently reinstalling it.

Gotta reinstall everything else too of course, so now comes the fun of finding old passwords etc lol.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm planning a new build in winter by then all the new hardware will be out, I've been doing a city tour in FSW tweaking as I go and I`ve just done Oslo flying out of Rygge airport north to Oslo setting`s on autumn daytime snow was on the ground,  fine weather scattered clouds my god turning back to the airport with the sun through the clouds midday truesky, reflecting off the fjords I think I've broken the F12 key when this comes out of early access I want a big jet flying the gulf stream across the Atlantic.

Ray Fry. 

Raymond Fry.

Had to do some tweaking to get my new computer to play nicely with FSW, but it did eventually manage it.

Alan Bradbury

I pick up part`s for my new build tomorrow from Scan at Bolton I already have a Fractal R5 Case , inside will be Asus Rog Maximus IX Formula Motherboard , i7 7700K cpu , EVGA 280 closed loop water cooling, MSI 1080+GAMER plus GPU, 250gb Samsung 960 evo M,2 MVMe  O/S DRIVE ONLY, 1TB Samsung EVO MZ-75E D DRIVE flight sim , 2TB Seagate BarrCuda sata3 drive which I will partition for back up ,corsair 850 modular gold + psu , 16gb daul channel Gskill memory 2x8 gb , It has been a few years since I have done a complete new build over 8, I'm not looking forward to moving over to the new build, but at least the rest of the household will get there PC back without me hogging it.

Ray Fry.  

Raymond Fry.

Gonna need Windows 10 (or 8) for that too, in case you'd forgotten about the OS. More recent hardware has functions which Win 7 64 bit doesn't support. It'll work with Win 7, but it won't do everything that a more recent operating system will. 

Alan Bradbury