Sign in to follow this  
jcjimmy

11.05r2 is out

yup just installed it.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I'm not getting a notification about updates and am stuck at 11.02. Can someone advise as to why mine is stuck at 11.02 with no updates?

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Run your xplane installer and it will offer the update.  Threw me for a loop also since I thought there would be an update prompt on the about screen showing you your version even though it said mine was current version and it wasn't,.

:P Timothy Murphy

A word of caution, this update left me with a filled green screen when I tried to run at my default desktop resolution (3840 x 2160 @ 30HZ) ... seems ok at 60HZ, but I can't sustain >60 FPS so flight is not smooth (stutters).

Cheers, Rob.

What? Less than 60fps? This is literally unplayable! Oh, Laminar, will you ever get it right...

:laugh:

Jan

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

A word of caution, this update left me with a filled green screen when I tried to run at my default desktop resolution (3840 x 2160 @ 30HZ) ... seems ok at 60HZ, but I can't sustain >60 FPS so flight is not smooth (stutters).

Cheers, Rob.

X-Plane supports 1/2 refresh rate vsync, which should give you perfectly smooth 30fps on a 60Hz monitor. At least it does on my end.

You can try this setting in standard or adaptive mode, but it doesn't make a noticable difference on my system.

56 minutes ago, Janov said:

What? Less than 60fps? This is literally unplayable! Oh, Laminar, will you ever get it right...

Jan

:biggrin: i play it at 20 fps

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, Janov said:

Jan

I think what Rob means is that he usually uses vsync @30Hz (yielding steady 30 fps), while in this case he's forced to use 60Hz, but since X-Plane can't sustain 60 fps at high settings, the end result can look stuttery due to unsteady fps.

Well, hopefully with the planned improvements in the next months and the target for steady 60 fps, this should become a thing of the past. :-)

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

I think what Rob means is that he usually uses vsync @30Hz (yielding steady 30 fps), while in this case he's forced to use 60Hz, but since X-Plane can't sustain 60 fps at high settings, the end result can look stuttery due to unsteady fps.

Well, hopefully with the planned improvements in the next months and the target for steady 60 fps, this should become a thing of the past. :-)

I don‘t think we will reach 60 without the API switch. Short term goal should be 45 so VR works fine.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

I don‘t think we will reach 60 without the API switch. Short term goal should be 45 so VR works fine.

Yes, from what Ben said, 45 fps for VR and 60 fps for single monitor is the target. As far as I understood, they're more or less equivalent, i.e. having 45 fps for the performance intensive VR, should guarantee 60 fps on a single monitor.

But as you said, I wonder if they will be able to get to that only after the switch to Vulkan. If that is the case, that means that VR in X-Plane (as intended by LR) is still some time away.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

5 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Yes, from what Ben said, 45 fps for VR and 60 fps for single monitor is the target. As far as I understood, they're more or less equivalent, i.e. having 45 fps for the performance intensive VR, should guarantee 60 fps on a single monitor.

But as you said, I wonder if they will be able to get to that only after the switch to Vulkan. If that is the case, that means that VR in X-Plane (as intended by LR) is still some time away.

It's fine for Laminar to say their target is 60 fps single monitor, but what monitor resolution? Are they talking 1080p, 4k, 8k? Frame rates can't be mentioned in the abstract without taking into account monitor resolution and the GPU driving it.

I think I remember Ben saying somewhere in a comments thread that it isn't their intention to support 4k monitors (i.e. "support" in terms of maxed sliders and high frame rates). So that 60 fps target may be more in reference to 1080p. Note that Rob above is running a nominal 4k monitor (3840 x 2160).

Are we actually supposed to expect 60 fps at that resolution? I know 4k is the new thing now for gaming, but flight sims have always been more resource-intensive than (most) computer games.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

33 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

It's fine for Laminar to say their target is 60 fps single monitor, but what monitor resolution? Are they talking 1080p, 4k, 8k? Frame rates can't be mentioned in the abstract without taking into account monitor resolution and the GPU driving it.

I think I remember Ben saying somewhere in a comments thread that it isn't their intention to support 4k monitors (i.e. "support" in terms of maxed sliders and high frame rates). So that 60 fps target may be more in reference to 1080p. Note that Rob above is running a nominal 4k monitor (3840 x 2160).

Are we actually supposed to expect 60 fps at that resolution? I know 4k is the new thing now for gaming, but flight sims have always been more resource-intensive than (most) computer games.

Well, AeroflyFS 2 is the most efficient and can do way more than 60 fps even at 4K. Yes, I know there are several things that it doesn't do (no atmo scattering, no terrain shadows, only solid water, etc) but even accounting for all of that, IMO it's still somewhat more efficient compared to the others.

So maybe if X-Plane is optimized and switched to Vulkan, 60 fps would be attainable even at 4K. Or maybe not. But 4K monitors seems to be more and more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if 4K will become the "standard" resolution while XP11 is still running its course, so LR would be better take that into consideration.

37 minutes ago, Murmur said:

But 4K monitors seems to be more and more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if 4K will become the "standard" resolution while XP11 is still running its course, so LR would be better take that into consideration.

But 4K is far from becoming more popular outside of the flight sim community. If you look at the latest Steam survey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ which gives a good idea of what's happening generally in the gaming world), 4K is used by less than 1% of gamers - 1920x1080 is still by far the most popular, accounting for over 48%. I'd be very surprised if LR's 60FPS target was at anything other than 1920x1080.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit