Sign in to follow this  
loganbrooks25

Panel Path is empty error

Hi, downloaded and installed, boot up P3D v4 (correctly installed the v4 version) although when I go Add On Menu - Reality XP - Set up aircraft, nothing happens. Under the error log in my documents I get '17/08/28 22:49:24.772 12196 ERROR] can't open Alabeo PA44 Seminole N428DG panel: path is empty"

Unsure why its not finding the correct path, I have selected the correct directory for v4. Happens to every aircraft I try, repeats the error, get no pop up box.

Will keep trying to fix, has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Have also reinstalled, no fix

Hi,

can you please let us know if there is a panel.cfg file in the Alabeo aircraft folder? Usually it looks like:

simobjects\aircraft\alabeo pa44\pane\panel.cfg

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

4 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi,

can you please let us know if there is a panel.cfg file in the Alabeo aircraft folder? Usually it looks like:

simobjects\aircraft\alabeo pa44\pane\panel.cfg

Yes I can confirm it is there. I ran it on P3D v3 with no problems just now, it appears my v4 install is mismatching a directory somewhere along the way, will keep looking around. 

33 minutes ago, RXP said:

Ok, just let us know how it goes, and we'll try find solutions.

Just did a complete reinstall of V4, still get nothing out of it, exactly the same error. Even have a different directory path compared to the old install

It this happening with every aircraft though, or just this one (or a selected few)?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

9 minutes ago, RXP said:

It this happening with every aircraft though, or just this one (or a selected few)?

This happens with every aircraft, whether its a default one or 3rd party, none of them load it

Ok, this is peculiar. Have you moved all your aircraft out of the 'SimObject' folder?

1 minute ago, RXP said:

Ok, this is peculiar. Have you moved all your aircraft out of the 'SimObject' folder?

No, should I try this? When I first select to show the panel under addon menu, it does not throw an error on the document, but still no pop up box shows. It is only the second time I try to open the panel it throws the error as the document shows, does this mean anything?

I'm not sure you should or shouldn't, I'm trying to eliminate possible culprits for this error. It shouldn't matter where the aircraft is located, just that at least it is now cross-checked.

We're looking into this right now but I don't have any ETA for a solution yet. In any case I'll make sure to keep you posted in this thread, or to request additional information if needed.

I'm sorry for the annoyance.

7 minutes ago, RXP said:

I'm not sure you should or shouldn't, I'm trying to eliminate possible culprits for this error. It shouldn't matter where the aircraft is located, just that at least it is now cross-checked.

We're looking into this right now but I don't have any ETA for a solution yet. In any case I'll make sure to keep you posted in this thread, or to request additional information if needed.

I'm sorry for the annoyance.

Okay thank you, it case of any significance I do not have P3D v4 installed under program files (86) ie the default one, I have it on another hard drive, but yet again so is P3D v3, and that works fine. When installing the GPS it does autodetect the correct directory and installs fine, but ill keep playing around. 

Also, just been playing around with different installing options (ie install into both v3 and v4, or just v3 or just v4 etc) when selected to install in both, it throws an error during the install "An error occured! Variant is null, cannot invoke". This only happens when I try to install with both, the installation contines, but still does not work in V4, and when installing seperately no error is shown, but still does not work in V4. 

1 hour ago, loganbrooks25 said:

when selected to install in both, it throws an error during the install "An error occured! Variant is null, cannot invoke"

This helps! this indicate there is an issue modifying your the add-on.xml during installation.

On P3D4, GNS V2 installer creates: "C:\Users\jldupiot\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Reality XP GNS\add-on.xml" (and 'v3' for P3D3)

Then it makes sure the path referenced in the xml file is the correct one. The error occurs because the installer is invoking the MSXML component of your system, and this component is reporting it has failed reading/modifying the xml file.

Just for the sake of it, here are the typical add-on files for typical installation:

For P3D3:

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="3,3" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>RealityXP Garmin GNS v2 (FltSim)</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>The Garmin 530 quickly became aviation's most popular GPS. The sharp, clear display and intuitive button layout of the 500-series made it the standard for general aviation. Pilots who learn to operate the 530 find transitioning to the GNS 430 and even the Garmin G600 to be very easy.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Gauges</Category>
        <Name>Reality XP GNS V2 Gauge</Name>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\Gauges\32</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>DLL</Category>
        <Name>Reality XP GNS V2 Menu</Name>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\Modules\32\rxpGNS2_menu.dll</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

For P3D4:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <AddOn.Description>The Garmin 530 quickly became aviation's most popular GPS. The sharp, clear display and intuitive button layout of the 500-series made it the standard for general aviation. Pilots who learn to operate the 530 find transitioning to the GNS 430 and even the Garmin G600 to be very easy.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>DLL</Category>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\64\rxpGNS2_menu.dll</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\64</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

19 minutes ago, RXP said:

This helps! this indicate there is an issue modifying your the add-on.xml during installation.

On P3D4, GNS V2 installer creates: "C:\Users\jldupiot\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Reality XP GNS\add-on.xml" (and 'v3' for P3D3)

Then it makes sure the path referenced in the xml file is the correct one. The error occurs because the installer is invoking the MSXML component of your system, and this component is reporting it has failed reading/modifying the xml file.

Just for the sake of it, here are the typical add-on files for typical installation:

For P3D3:

Hide contents

<AddOn.Component>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\Gauges\32</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>DLL</Category>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\Modules\32\rxpGNS2_menu.dll</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

For P3D4:

Reveal hidden contents

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>DLL</Category>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\64\rxpGNS2_menu.dll</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\64</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

I will have a look at this, my addon.xml file has the exact same contents as the one you posted. This only ever throws the error when I try to install v3 and v4 at the same time, when seperate no error is thrown yet it still does not find a directory.

In other progress I was able to get the panel working by loading it in V3, copying the data is pastes into the panel.cfg for V3 (for that particular aircraft) and carrying it over manually to the V4 panel folder. This works fine, and all normal. It is just the actual application does not want to open, I installed it on another PC and still, does not work on V4,

Edited by loganbrooks25

Thank you for the additional investigation. I understand the 'assistant' is not opening and doesn't report any error in "my documents\rxpGNS2_menu.dll.log" ?

What about trying to open the settings panel on the manually editing aircraft panels:

SHIFT + RIGHT CLICK the top edge of the GNS. Is this one opening ok? 

In addition, can you please confirm your V4 prepar3d.exe and panels.dll file version is  4.0.28.21686 ? 

Do you have any other active add-ons and if so, can you please try disabling them and see if the problem is an interaction between add-ons which makes it fail?