Sign in to follow this  
khairlines

whats the best i can do with p3d v4 with my build?

I have:

i5 4670k@ 4.5

gtx 770 2gb OC

2x4gb ram

right now p3d v4 runs pretty badly and I still want features like dynamic lighting. I hope to use PMDG, ASP4, ORBX, Flightbeam KSFO, PTA and Traffic. Any sugggestions? tips?

thx

Could be that you are asking an awful lot from that gpu and that amount of ram. 

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

1 hour ago, bobbyjack said:

Could be that you are asking an awful lot from that gpu and that amount of ram. 

This is true, sounds like your gpu is the bottleneck.  RAM isn't as cheap as it once was, but with a 64 bit application 8 gb of RAM will eventually struggle.  And only 2gb of VRAM just isn't enough anymore when the sliders start moving to the right.

wow .. What you have is a good paper weight. I am rocking I7-7700k 4.2 gig 1080-Ti and I am still looking for more performance. I may yet go whit a SLI configuration and to speed things up once you have all that scenery loaded up a 1tb ssd  . Now just these two items I have just mentioned we are looking at anoth er 11/1200 bucks , so really the sky seems to almost be the limit  when you are considering P3d v4.1 upgrades. 

All those posts aside - dynamic lighting is still bugged in 4.1.  The fps just plummet and no computer can really handle DL

but yeah a gtx 1070 8gb would be nice 

i have the same ram issue as you - only 8gb (and 4 ish on my gtx 970) - both become saturated with high end payware.  My entire system needs an upgrade 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 29/08/2017 at 3:03 AM, khairlines said:

I have:

i5 4670k@ 4.5

gtx 770 2gb OC

2x4gb ram

right now p3d v4 runs pretty badly and I still want features like dynamic lighting. I hope to use PMDG, ASP4, ORBX, Flightbeam KSFO, PTA and Traffic. Any sugggestions? tips?

What screen resolution are you using? As a few others have already said, that's not much RAM and quite a low power GPU (with not much VRAM) for P3D v4. It's quite possible that you're running out of system RAM and falling back to the Windows Pagefile which often slows things down - the Pagefile basically uses a drive to store data that can’t be held by your (much faster) system RAM when it fills up.

Try installing MSI Afterburner (you don't need to have an MSI card): https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner. Although it's notionally a GPU overclocking utility, it also lets you monitor all of the important components in your system and shows about 10 minutes of data graphs for each. If you monitor GPU usage, memory usage and CPU usage (although you need to monitor individual cores rather than just "CPU usage"), you'll quickly see how well your system is coping whilst running P3D.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit