Sign in to follow this  
davidzill

Thoughts on Prepar3d V4

I've been using FSX since it's release. Prior to V4's release, I've never used any version of Prepar3d. Using a Windows 7 system, I purchased V4 and was perplexed at the poor performance. I inquired in the forums, a rare minority of people reported the same issues. At the same time, I was experiencing frequent crashes in FSX; APPHANG 1b crashes virtually every time I started a flight in the NGX. 

I determined my Windows 7 was corrupted either by my own user error or other means. I upgraded to a I5 7600K at 5.3ghz, fast DDR4 memory, and two 1080 Ti's. I also installed Windows 10 Pro 64, and one single M.2 pcie 2 TB SSD.

I installed Prepar3d again. My settings are configured pretty high, although I set autogen to normal and dynamic lighting off for now, I'm using 4096 textures in 4K, 4SSAA. With the PMDG NGX, REX TD, AS4, I'm getting a solid 60fps at Flightbeam's KSFOHD V2. The terrain looks so much better than FSX, and flying looks and feels much smoother, immersive, and realilistic. 

• Upvote 1

David,

i have been looking for realistic comparison between FSX and P3DV4. Like yourself, Ive been on FSX for what seems like forever with Win 7/64, having spend a good deal of money over the years. If i understand correctly, you are very impressed with the differences. Can you further elaborate?

7 minutes ago, LDP1949 said:

If i understand correctly, you are very impressed with the differences.

Don't forget to be impressed with his brand new MONSTER PC...! :happy: I think a lot of the enthusiasm comes from that too! CPU at 5.3, two 1080 Ti's, a M.2 pcie 2 TB SSD... no wonder he is happy with performance!

6 minutes ago, J van E said:

no wonder he is happy with performance!

LOL. If he wasn't, I'd have some serious doubts about him AND P3D!!

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Please change topic to Thoughts on Davids monster rig.. Awesome David!

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

52 minutes ago, LDP1949 said:

David,

i have been looking for realistic comparison between FSX and P3DV4. Like yourself, Ive been on FSX for what seems like forever with Win 7/64, having spend a good deal of money over the years. If i understand correctly, you are very impressed with the differences. Can you further elaborate?

A lot of visual differences come from the DX11/12 rendering internal HDR textures, volumetric fog rendering, etc. Textures overall appear sharper, higher resolution. Runs much smoother than FSX (Which I swore by religiously for years). Prepar3d V4 takes advantage of the most current DirectX, and is also SLi capable. In FSX to even come close I have to create an Nvidia control panel profile, Nvidia Inspector profile, and the DX10 fixer. I was very hesitant at first, however at this point I don't see how I could go back to FSX. 

6 hours ago, davidzill said:

A lot of visual differences come from the DX11/12 rendering internal HDR textures, volumetric fog rendering, etc. Textures overall appear sharper, higher resolution. Runs much smoother than FSX (Which I swore by religiously for years). Prepar3d V4 takes advantage of the most current DirectX, and is also SLi capable. In FSX to even come close I have to create an Nvidia control panel profile, Nvidia Inspector profile, and the DX10 fixer. I was very hesitant at first, however at this point I don't see how I could go back to FSX. 

That's very interesting and helpful. Thanks sir. 

I was going to ask p3d users if I should use w10 instead of w7 any real advantage??? 

3 hours ago, MrSpeaker said:

I was going to ask p3d users if I should use w10 instead of w7 any real advantage??? 

My differences are explained in my initial post, however I will say Windows 10 appears far more optimized for performance than Windows 7. No editing or performance tweaks needed, it's good to go out of the box.

4 hours ago, MrSpeaker said:

Not to mentions you often don't get good drivers for newer hardware. AT LEAST you should have Win 8 if you plan with new software and hardware.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

12 hours ago, davidzill said:

A lot of visual differences come from the DX11/12 rendering

Prepar3d V4 takes advantage of the most current DirectX

P3D v4 uses DX11, not DX12! Support for DX12 would be awesome but I don't think we will get DX12 support anytime soon. v5 maybe. :happy: Take note that DX12 would limit use of P3D v4 to Windows 10. Which btw wouldn't be bad because Windows 10 rocks. 

I use P3D since v2 now.

V4 is the first time that since weeks I fire up the sim, load my flightplan and go flying. No fiddling around with settings or bugs or sufferings from CTDs... I love V4. It lets me do what I want: Fly and not think about all other stuff around it.

• Upvote 1

On 30/08/2017 at 6:40 AM, davidzill said:

My differences are explained in my initial post, however I will say Windows 10 appears far more optimized for performance than Windows 7. No editing or performance tweaks needed, it's good to go out of the box.

I trust you have turned off all the security 'features' of 10. Some are extremely undesirable. As for the mandatory updates... that is still the reason I will stick with 7 for as long as possible. I am still running v3.4 but should I switch to v4 I don't anticipate worse performance than v3.4 gives me.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 8/30/2017 at 1:40 AM, davidzill said:

My differences are explained in my initial post, however I will say Windows 10 appears far more optimized for performance than Windows 7.

You also had a recent topic about the very poor performance of P3DV4, now 4 pages in length.  Why are we starting a new topic?

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10